Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 11:17 AM   #51
stogieBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

If you ever go a little too hot into a corner and find yourself aimed at an unpaved (gravel) shoulder before going "over"and down, you'll think different about ABS. By the way, it only kicks in during a "panic" stop, most of the time you won't ever know you have it.

But that's probably years away for HD anyway.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 11:29 AM   #52
NotoriousDJW
Registered Member

Default Say JB

Now that you're done complaining about the non-adjustable windscreen, when are you going to post a review of the rest of the bike?

Is it just me or does it seem silly to spend most of the article *****ing about something that is fixed on the ABS bike?

NotoriousDJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:31 AM   #53
12er
Founding Member

All the harleys I have ridden have ABS. While its not a design feature or an electronic device the shear lack of brake power is the key. Ive ridden about 20 HD's from 68 to 2000 model years and all of them had horrible brakes in stock trim. So you being a harley rider I can understand your point, as you have had it all along. Now once you ride another brand of bike that actually stops without dragging your feet you may understand why ABS is coming on more models. Especially on 600+ lbs bikes that are designed to cruise over 100 MPH.

Me on the other hand after riding 16,000 miles this last year with ABS, I wont ride without it. Its saved me at least 5 times during my commute in panic stops in the rain or oil in the roadway. Then again I ride in the second most congested area in the country where all the safety features you can get come in handy.(San Francisco bay area, per a study today on MSNBC).
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #54
12er
Founding Member

Thats the thing I love about my K12RS, move the bars and pegs for touring or move them for scratching. Options are good. That and stock cruise control and heated grips.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #55
rocket13
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Venture Royale

I find that interesting. I had an '84 Royale that I put 35K on with no troubles at all (even the valves were in spec at inspection). I traded tha one in for an '89 that racked up over 60K with one exhaust valve out of spec at 40K. They did like their spark plugs changed frequently. If you had rain problems you may have missed the spark plug wires retrofit or the caps may have not been down all the way.

I'd buy another in a minute as the Harley wannabe didn't appeal to me. I made the mistake of buying a porker GL1500. I've owned all Hondas with the exception of the 2 Ventures but that Gold Thing was the worst piece of crap Honda ever made and their warranty work (a joke) sucked. No more Honda products (bike, car, weed whacker, etc) in my househpld. It just goes to show the luck of the draw. If the FJR doesn't work out, the 2003 Harley mania will have quieted down and it will be an FLH Ultra Classic in the garage.
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:39 PM   #56
vx49268
Founding Member

Default Make mine a Yamaha

I'm a value / performance buyer and frankly, the Honda comes up way short in comparison to the Yamaha. I want to like the Honda, but it's Yamaha who will get my check. From what I hear from my riding buddies, I not alone (and these guys ride ST1100s.
vx49268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 01:50 PM   #57
Flickmeister
Registered Member

The term "sport-tourer" is so vague and open to debate that it can appeal to so many parts of the market (or cause different thinking members to go to war). I've heard a ZX12R mentioned, Kawi's ZZR1200, the VFR800, Aprilia Futura, plus the Triumph and BMW variants, ad nauseum. There are so many choices available that one of these models should fit your requirements whether it be on the "sport" or the "touring" end of such a broad category. Personally, give me my old '96 ST1100 back, or my '98 VFR with the Ventura Bike pack system (and a Staintune high-mount slip-on for personality enhancement), and I could grin ear-to-ear 'cross the whole damn country. Sometimes less is more.

But since the topic is the new models, I think the FJR, with it's mondo motor and great price, is the one I'd pick for my cross-country land yacht.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #58
sherm
Founding Member

My pick from reading all the reports would unquestionably be the ZZR1200. I haven't seen a direct shootout between the FJR and the ZZR but everybody (except Burns) raves about the ZZR's motor, transmission, and handling. Comfort wise the FJR might have a small advantage, but many reviewers consider the ZZR long haul capable and much more fun to ride. To me the lack of OEM hard bags on the ZZR is not significant - I'd get some soft stuff that wouldn't get in the way when not needed. To each his/her own.

(After the short quick trashing Burns gave the ZZR in Cycle World he may have to recuse himself if MO tests the bike.)
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:08 PM   #59
MC
Founding Member

Europe?

The Honda ST is the "Pan-European" after all...

Hell what do I know, I've never been there. Just throwing that out.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 03:53 PM   #60
drandall
Founding Member

I couldn't agree more. I've owned a number of nice Hondas (three motocrossers, a cb450t, two VFRs, and a cbrF2), but the new VFR and now the st1300 leave me cold. The bikes I've loved the best recently? The '02 Guzzi LeMans. Too bad it doesn't have hard-luggage.

After a Buell S3T, it seems I'm being forced to BMW. The new Yami doens't have ABS, and I commute in close to freezing conditions during the winter in Seattle, where ABS is a friend indeed.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote