Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 10:35 AM   #41
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent, Excellent

Sean I am ashamed of you. LOL Didn't know you had it in you oh politcally correct one.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #42
rocket13
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

You're absolutley correcto-mundo. A fellow riding buddy is looking for an alternate ride from his Speed Triple. He missed the cut-off for the FJR and doesn't wnat to spend the $$ (AND WAIT) for the ST. He's picking up a new Concours next week for $7899.00. Buzz is a subjective thing. Having ridden the Concours several times, I find the bike totally acceptable. I opted for the FJR but bud will be riding the Kwacker wjile I'll be waiting!
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 10:56 AM   #43
jimmymac
Founding Member

Thanks for the comments. Some good factual stuff but I suppose the key thing is "for the right person". Also, I like your point about the electric windshield. I can't believe Honda was dumb enough to leave that off the Wing.

Do you think the ST will run away from the Wing in the twisties with an average rider on the saddle? I have a Valkyrie IS. It is a lot easier to ride in the curves than my cruiser was. I rode the new Wing enough to know that I could easily run away from myself on the Valkyrie without pushing it. So the ST is another step like that above the Wing?
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:04 AM   #44
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

All this bickering about Yamaha vs. Honda build quality and parts availability is like the Norwegians and the Swedes arguing about who has the bluer eyes. Both companies make mistakes and neither is perfect, but they're both still about as close to perfection as you will find in the entire world of motorcycling. I've had an ST1100 and two Yamaha Ventures. None of the bikes were perfect, but all three were much closer to perfection than any other bike I've owned over the past 27 years.

I'm in the market for a two-up touring bike, and have narrowed my choices down to Gold Wing, ST1300, and FJR1300. Based on the tests published in MO, the Yamaha appeals most to me, mostly because I'm a cheap bastard, though I would be happy with any of the three. As will anyone who buys one.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:07 AM   #45
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Give me a Harley any day. ABS is just something that will cost a fortune to have fixed. Since they want to computerize the brakes why don't we go a step further and computerize the throttle and while were at it lets have an automatic transmission. Heck, let's just park it and polish it since that is the safest thing yet. Then let's opt for a pacemaker and iron lung with hourly prozac injections to keep the stress in check. What a bunch of pussies the human race is becoming.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #46
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Where the heck can you cruise over 80 mph without getting smokey on your tail?
Old 06-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #47
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Yamaha Venture Royale

I had a 1989 Venture Royale and it was a good bike but had lots of faults. Wouldn't run on all cylinders in the rain. Fairing plastic cracking and costing a fortune to replace. Ten thousand screws and bolts to undue before you could get at the back tire. Top heavy as all get out. Seat from hell. And the thing was dangerous. I hit a raised up spot of asphalt as I was passing a semi and that bike just plain jackknifed and flung me over the handle bars like a dog shaking off water. Fortunately the truck was able to stop before adding me to his retreads. . I'm a tough son of a gun and only sustained a bone deep hip bruise for my 45 mph flight to the asphault. I rode the bike home and later on had trouble walking for a few days. I rode the bike for 3 more years but never trusted it after that. I now have a Harley that is slow but gets about 45 mpg and looks good.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #48
wavyd
Registered Member

I was in the market up until 6 weeks ago and was considering the ST 1300 but couldn't wait. I also was considering the FJ 1300 but got carried away and bought and FZ1 (!) instead. Not really the same catagory but that's not the point. I found from reading on the Australian sites that the FJR thows off almost unbearable heat on warm to hot days. Leather not blue jeans advised for summer riding.

On the issue of quality Honda vs Yamaha, I can say from my experience that the quailty of design at Yamaha is not at the same level as at Honda. My FZ1 has a pronounced rattle off the throttle from drive chain slap even after adjusting to spec. The windshield on the FZ is also wrong. It drives the wind into the helmet and the taller option makes it worse. I'm going to make my own until I can get the wind onto my chest.

My final point is that I think the best sport-touring bikes made are the adventure- sport-touring bikes like the Suzuki DL 1000. I'm waiting for JB and crew to do the ultimate shootout of bikes with big seats, hard bags, and a windshield. Do one phase in the heat of summer and the second in February. 10-12 bikes, all manufacturers would be involved, and a wide variety of riders. Anybody else interested?
wavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #49
wavyd
Registered Member

I was in the market up until 6 weeks ago and was considering the ST 1300 but couldn't wait. I also was considering the FJ 1300 but got carried away and bought and FZ1 (!) instead. Not really the same catagory but that's not the point. I found from reading on the Australian sites that the FJR thows off almost unbearable heat on warm to hot days. Leather not blue jeans advised for summer riding.

On the issue of quality Honda vs Yamaha, I can say from my experience that the quailty of design at Yamaha is not at the same level as at Honda. My FZ1 has a pronounced rattle off the throttle from drive chain slap even after adjusting to spec. The windshield on the FZ is also wrong. It drives the wind into the helmet and the taller option makes it worse. I'm going to make my own until I can get the wind onto my chest.

My final point is that I think the best sport-touring bikes made are the adventure- sport-touring bikes like the Suzuki DL 1000. I'm waiting for JB and crew to do the ultimate shootout of bikes with big seats, hard bags, and a windshield. Do one phase in the heat of summer and the second in February. 10-12 bikes, all manufacturers would be involved, and a wide variety of riders. Anybody else interested?
wavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:15 PM   #50
stogieBill
Founding Member

If you ever go a little too hot into a corner and find yourself aimed at an unpaved (gravel) shoulder before going "over"and down, you'll think different about ABS. By the way, it only kicks in during a "panic" stop, most of the time you won't ever know you have it.

But that's probably years away for HD anyway.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote