Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 06:10 AM   #21
rocket13
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

This "orphan" has already exceeded Yammie's sales expectation in the USA by 2x and has been proven in Europe for nearly two years. I don't buy version 1.0 anything whether it's made by Honda, Rolls-Royce BME, etc, etc.

There's no perfect bike yet built so shake 'em out before slamming another brand. "Ride what you like and like what you ride"
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 06:14 AM   #22
rvfrules
Founding Member

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Shoulda made it 65
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:34 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Seems like a nice bike, if a bit big and pricey. BMWs offerings are much more attractive to me.

What's the deal with the non-adjustable handlbars? It's not just this bike but aside from a few bikes which still use tubular handlebars it seems that most bikes expect the rider to fit the bike and make no provision for handlebar adjustment. This is "new improved technology"?
Old 06-21-2002, 06:36 AM   #24
Van
Founding Member

Individual anecdotal evidence aside, Honda will match their reliability record of their STs and Goldwings with any maker of any similar product, and easily win.

The EFI on the GL1800s I've ridden was spot on, as it is on the new VFR. This latest series of laser drilled twelve hole injectors seems to be working just fine.

As for warranty issues, again, Honda can pit their industry standard against any other manufacturer's, and again win easily.

Honda is well known in the industry for sweating the details more than any other brand. Case in point: The Yam's battery location. On a bike where electric accessories will most certainly be added, Yamaha went ahead and located their battery in possibly the worst possible place. Placing it way up front and quite high, on the right side of the headstock, not only makes for a ****load of weight right where you don't want it in terms of handling and feel, it also makes it unnecessarily difficult to attach electric accessories such as heated vests, gloves, etc...

You can be sure that the ST won't feature such a boneheaded design oversight.

The FJR vs the ST1300 is quite simple. Both bikes are far too heavy to be confused with real sport handling, they're both died in the wool large sport tourers.

The FJR has plenty enough civility and two up comfort, while emphasizing motor performance. The ST has plenty enough motor performance and handling, while emphasizing two up touring comfort.

I'm reasonably sure neither bike will disappoint its buyer, and they're both better than anything that came before them.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:37 AM   #25
Van
Founding Member

Default Re: Windshield *****ing

Yeah, those R1150GS riders and their windscreen issues, what a bunch of pansies!!

Old 06-21-2002, 06:44 AM   #26
Van
Founding Member

While I love the Goldwing 1800, the ST is different and in many ways better for the right person.

Around town, the smaller ST is superior, while still offering long distance comfort.

On the highway, the ST will always go further on a tank of gas, making it better for the Iron Butt Rally types.

In the twisties, the ST will simply run away from even the new badass Goldwing, and that still matters to many sport touring riders.

The ST costs over $4K less.

The ST at least offers a version with an electric windscreen.

Do much lane splitting? The Goldwing is barely passable, while the ST does so easily.

Like the saying goes, there's an ass for every seat...

Old 06-21-2002, 06:52 AM   #27
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

I have an ST1100 and other bikes and I can tell you, most of your list is BS.

ABS option... whooppeee

Electric Windshield... if you buy the ABS??

Parts avail??

Ah... Oh... Hmmm... Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Honda, I didn't recognize your handle. LOL

No flame intended.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:00 AM   #28
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

As a long time ST owner, I've been waiting for this bike for years... but I'm very disappointed.

I swore that if Honda didn't put the new model on a serious diet... I wouldn't buy it. Then I heard rumors the new one would be much lighter and I got my checkbook ready...

Then I found out the new ST IS lighter, but not much.

And in the mean time, I got a chance to ride a European FJR1300 in New York state.

Sorry Honda... my ST will go for trade on the first FJR my dealer gets.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:15 AM   #29
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Van, Bro...

This one best manufacturer feeling of yours sounds a little like the Harley guys about their brand.

I'm sorta in the bike biz and I can tell you... every brand has it's strengths and weaknesses... and 95% of differences in warranty service is the dealer, and how good his relationship is with the manufacturer's regional reps.

Nobody would argue about the strength of a Gold Wing in it's class. It's tip-top. And I happen to think Honda dirt bikes have their strengths. But there are other areas Honda gets their butt kicked. Take a screwdriver to a Honda 919 and a Yamaha FZ1 and tell me the build quality is better on the Honda. Or a CBR vs a GSXR. No way.

The dealer makes a huge difference, and the rest of the difference is made up in which brand you feel most comfortable checking the tires on.

Don't get me wrong, I won't tolerate a bike that will leave me stranded, but for me, the length of the warranty doesn't mean squat if I don't like the way the bike feels.

Maybe the new ST will FEEL 100 pounds lighter than the old one, even if it's not. That would be nice.

Peace.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:30 AM   #30
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Van,

I'm with you. I've owned a bunch of Hondas. They may not put all the cool stuff bells and whistles on their bikes that other manufacturers do, but they sure do build reliable motorcycles. I have never had any trouble with a Honda motorcycle or warranty items related to them. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've been incredibly well taken care of by Honda and their dealer network.

Case in point. I got some chips in the paint on my Blackbird (from doing a lap around the US and Canada that included many miles of construction zones) a couple of summers ago and my dealer got me a new set of bodywork out of it. I have never dealt with a company that seems as concerned about customer satisfaction and pays as much attention to detail. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

I've owned Yamahas too. I think that they are also exceptionally well designed and well built machines. In terms of bulletproof motorcycle reliability I believe that it's pretty much a Honda/Yamaha world. But their design philosophies are different. So between the two companies you have some good choices depending upon taste.

I think that both the FJR and the ST will attract legions of riders. The thing is I'd be willing to bet that the FJR will appeal mostly to people just getting into sport touring because of it's killer styling and sporting acumen. But I think that most experienced sport tourers in the market for these type of bikes will go straight for the Honda. And I think that very few ST1100 riders will consider anything other than an upgrade to the 1300.

Cheers
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote