Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1280-honda-st1300-reader-feedback.html)

bwilken 07-12-2002 06:03 PM

Re: GVWR redux ....

I appreciate your comments! I guess I HAD always pretty much ignored it, until I got to thinking about my wife and I doing some touring (I take her for short rides on my Hayabusa & we're 100 lbs over GVWR, but seems to be no ill effects on the bike - suspension doesn't bottom out or anything, plus I've done it enough that the extra weight doesn't affect my driving or anything). I was just concerned that being overweight for thousands of miles at a time might have some short or long term adverse effects.

I DO like your way of thinking, though, and that may ultimately help make my decision easier!

Thanks!!

AirHawk 07-15-2002 02:10 PM

Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

You've got to be kidding! Just to set the record straight, I own a Harley... in fact I've owned a few of them and NOTHING Harley has ever built could dream of performing equal to either of the aforementioned bikes.

Call me a pussie if you like, but I'll get there DAYS before you on a ST and never have to worry about something rattling off. I love the way a Harley feels and I'll probably always own one, but to bash non-Harley bikes because they offer features such as reliability, performance and comfort?

cjlawson 07-17-2002 09:04 AM

I have a ST1300 ABS on order. I also had to

pay a $500 non-refundable fee.

bwilken 07-20-2002 06:52 AM

Boy, you got that right!!! I really don't even know if they're trying to appease the environmental gods - they just build 'plain jane' motorcycles. Must be for 'the masses', like the Honda Accord - you know, nothing flashy, just reliable. BOO, HISS!!! Honda, for the most part is WAY down my list of favorite bike manufacturers!!

rocket13 07-24-2002 02:43 AM

Better check your stats. Honda sells about 32% of the world market IF you count all the dirt bikes, ATV's, etc. Yamaha outsells Honda in Europe 2-1. Purely motorcycles, Honda sells in the mid 20% range, H-D sells 34%.

Honda does sell 50% of the world's motorcycle advertising budget.

I have a lot of fond memories on several Hondas starting back on a 1970 CB175 and lastly on an overweight 2000 GL1500. Quality is the most part fine, reliability is and has always been excellent. There's just something that Big Red lacks to light any passion in me.

I'm going with the FJR.

bwilken 07-28-2002 12:39 AM

Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback - What about GVWR?

Yep, its me (the author of this feedback) writing in to update, and say 'I told you (me) so!'. Honda has succeeded in building yet another bike that I will not buy!! From ALL accounts, this has been bragged up to be a good bike. However, it is SUPPOSED to be a 'Sport-Tourer', and would figure to be great for two-up riding, with a bit of luggage, for overnight trips and the like. With a total load capacity of 395 lbs. (passengers AND cargo), I could do some great 1-up Sport-Touring!!!

I'll stick with my Hayabusa for that, thank you very much!!!

bugbill 08-12-2002 11:35 AM

Well, I just crashed my 1999 ST1100--some ******* with the sun at his back wanting to make a u-turn in front of me at a traffic light and me going about 45 with my bright lightes ON. As soon as I entered the intersection, the light turned yellow--that's the last thing I remember. The police report quoted the guy as saying, "I didn't see him."

After 100,000 mi. of trouble free riding (not even a dropped bike), my black beauty is totaled.

How long do I have to wait to actually see, and buy the new ST1300?

captainwhoopass 10-03-2003 03:57 PM

stepheneller 04-26-2004 05:55 PM

After having an ST1300 for about a year now, I can testify to the fact that this bike grows on you. The more you ride it the better it gets. It continues to get smoother with every mile, and finding the right rear shock adjustment makes all the difference in the world. For me, the windshield serves as a great wind protector and has not caused much of an issue in with respect to vision. This bike is a great balance between a touring and sport bike. If you want one bike in the garage, you have to give a little in each category. I'm really pleased with my ST.