Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-26-2002, 09:56 AM   #201
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent, Excellent

I don't remember the particulars but HP was is not an issue with the Formulas its suspension and brake setup etc. Of course next year in WSB we will see if having more cc to work with will help the in-line 4s (rule change allows bigger inline 4s). Ducati's easy to use torque may still give it the edge even though a 1000cc in-line 4 has more torque than a 750 it doesn't have the nice flat torque as the V-Twins. I would just like to see more competition in WSB. To me AMA racing is my favorite to watch cause it is more competitive than WSB or MotoGP. In addition Speed channels US coverage guys are better on AMA events than the European guys.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2002, 10:14 AM   #202
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

a. This was partially a humerous comment, based on the way Pan owners talk about their bikes.

b. My old Yamaha looked like ***** after much less than this and was ready to die. It was well taken care off. So were my mates Yamahas. Everyone I know with an ST has more than 60k on it and they reckon the bikes are just getting going. The all look in great condition.

c. I'm not having a go at Yamaha per se. It's just that the Pans have had incredibly good staying power and I from that I would not be surprised if this one did too..

Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 AM   #203
rubin
Registered Member

I have nearly 19K miles on a 2002 R1150RT, my second BMW after about 10 Hondas and Kawis, and while I love the suspension and grudging respect I get from the sort of Harley riders who would flip me off on a Honda, I'm not totally sold.

My problem is that I'm on the second ENGINE. After repeatedly reporting problems getting an accurate reading of the oil level in the sight glass (and getting a different answer about how to check it properly from not only the original dealer, California BMW in Mountain View, CA, but from several long-time owners as well), the engine went south for lack of oil about 4000 miles after it had been serviced. The motor was using about a quart every 800 miles at that point. BMW refused to cover it under warranty, citing owner abuse.

The new engine broke in at about 5000 miles and now uses very little oil at all (< 1 quart every 3000), and my new dealer (BMW Marin) gave me what seems to be a foolproof method of checking the sight glass.

My points are these:

1) How can BMW build a bike that handles so beautifully and is so comfortable and yet is apparently so quirky in the oil consumption and oil level reporting department?

2) Why don't the dealers know how to check the oil?

3) Why doesn't BMW stand behind its product?

4) How can the Japanese build bike motor after bike motor that uses NO OIL AT ALL and yet still lasts 50-100K miles, while the Germans can't seem to figure this out?

Sorry to rant, but since I now have the world's most expensive R1150RT, I'm a little annoyed at BMW.
rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #204
Van
Founding Member

John, we've got 18 allocated just between my store and a larger store nearby, and compared to some of the huge stores down in L.A. we're quite small.

At half an ST per store allocation, as was posited above, we'd have half the state locked up just with our two stores.

I think I'll believe our order confirmation sheet before I believe internet scare tactic rumors...

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #205
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Well, hold on there. Sorry, but I am not in a high enough income bracket that I am going to buy a motorcycle sight unseen. Getting caught up in the fervor, I actually was close to doing that however, until I read the european owner's reviews - specifically, those from Australia. I dont want a bike that cooks, and as our friends down under were saying, anything over 85 F is downright unbearable. Its 110 F in Arizona today. No thanks, I'll wait for more info.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:22 PM   #206
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle weekly.com?

I think I'll go for a ride, too.

Hey, is this breaking the 5 day itch? I love you guys.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:42 PM   #207
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle weekly.com?

Well well, it's been two full days and KPaul hasn't taken your bait. I'm glad I stuck up for him earlier.

As for "pulling a KPaul," that's just my way of ribbing him about being such a provocative, disputatious, and somewhat notorious poster.

Good riding to both of you.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #208
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Doh!

Okay, It's only been one day.

I went for a ride yesterday, and it changed my whole outlook. Even made me feel like tomorrow is Friday... Doh!, it's only Thursday.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:27 PM   #209
tomekd
Founding Member

Default Re: Schumacher drives a CAR

In case you don`t know Schumi drives CAR not a bike and you don`t find ABS/TC etc on ANY race bike including GP/WSB/AMA etc,,,
tomekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #210
vcs700s
Founding Member

I have owned 5 Hondas including a CL350. My current ride is a 1985 700S Nighthawk. It is an incredible bike which was way ahead of its time. I have never thought of any of my Hondas as throw away bikes. They were all top notch in fit and finish and reliability. My 700S is like new, only has 24000 original miles and will run away from a new 750 Honda. Again, any time a Honda is tested the build quality and reliability are top notch. What more do you want?
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote