Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2002, 03:18 AM   #11
High_Plains_Drifter
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

What is so new about their V-4?
High_Plains_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2002, 03:37 AM   #12
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

He didn't say "new". He said "unique". Some people are tired of the inline-4 drone and like something a bit more interesting. I suspect that's what he was getting at.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:16 AM   #13
RockyMoto
Registered Member

Default Windshield *****ing

What's the big deal with the lousy windshield? 90% of the factory offerings on sport tourers suck anyway, and you wind up replacing the damn things with a decent A/M one. While Minime denies this new ST is capable of dethroning the 1150GS as his "Beloved Best Bike of All Time", BMW's factory screen on the 1150GS's is THE absolute worst excuse of a windshield on any bike I've owned to date. Kawi's 'ol Concours windshield was one of the first items to get replaced, as are many (if not most) ST1100 enthusiast's screens. Big deal...ya' scraps the factory screen, get the best aftermarket one mounted on there (e.g. Rifle, AeroFlow, Givi, Parabellum, etc. etc.) and get on with the ride. If the windshield's the main complaint, it's not a problem. That's like *****ing about factory tires as a reason not to buy a bike. Just change the damn thing!
RockyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:19 AM   #14
blackburd
Founding Member

Been there, done that. (turned 50 some). All in all, I'd just as soon sport tour with my CBR-1100 XX.
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 04:48 AM   #15
jimmymac
Founding Member

Maybe it's my age (closer to 60 than I wish) or lack of European riding experience but I don't quite get this category of mortorcycle. Speed? Lot's of stuff faster. Weight? 700 lbs vs. a Wing around 800. VFR at 600 isn't TOO bad. Comfort? The Wing will surely be more comfortable. Touring? Wing again. Touring at 110 mph? Where in the hell can you do that? You can't realistically go that fast for long periods of time anyway. If you have ever spent a fairly long period of time going 100 mph you know how tired that makes you no matter how great the ergonomics.

If I want to go fast for a couple of hours, would rather have an Interceptor or similar ride. In any case, I bet the Wing would be more comfortable long distance at high speed.

I rode the BMW's too (1150 and k1200) so I have some feel for this category bike. The only thing I like about these bikes is how they look. Maybe that's the whole thing? Image?? Maybe it IS my age.

Can't be function.

jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:12 AM   #16
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent, Excellent

Holy crap that was funny
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:13 AM   #17
stogieBill
Founding Member

Lisa's impression was a great addition to the article. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

Overall, a good read with solid critical analysis. However, if speed and sport handling were my primary considerations, this bike would not be a contender. Fortunately, a smooth handling powerful bike with over 100 bhp, the promise of great mechanical prowess ala the ST1100 and modern good looks are also prime considerations for a new commuter/two-up sport tourer.
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:23 AM   #18
Van
Founding Member

Didn't say this V4 was new (though it is), I said it was unique.

And it is.

Oh yeah, I forgot a couple other ways in which the ST beats the Yam....

19-Built in covered crash bars.

20-Pop off mirrors for tipovers, which also include integrated turnsignals.

21-Two fairing storage pockets, one of which is lockable.

22-Built in swing out center stand grab handle.

There's a good reason the ST weighs more than the Yammie. It's more of a complete bike, with many more touring features.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 05:42 AM   #19
Captain_1
Founding Member

Maybe itsÂ’ just me, but I find HondaÂ’s latest offerings somewhat lacking. Sure, they sport all kinds of new technology, but have taken the appearance of mass-produced PLASTIC consumer products devoid of passion. I love machines and make a personal connection with all that I own, 9 including 5 Hondas. I simply canÂ’t connect with HondaÂ’s latest and greatest.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:05 AM   #20
rocket13
Founding Member

Oh yeah,

Let's add Honda's recurring problems with fuel injection (see the Great Lump GL1, the 700+ lb. pork and Honda's reluctance to honor warranty problems. Build quality? If this porker is an indication of my late (but not missed) 2000 GL15, that's a joke. Buy and ride what you like, but if you're looking at sport-touring, I went with the FJR. Stereo option and ambiant temperature, adjustable backlighting?I'm sure the ST will be a fine machine but you may as well buy a Gold Thing, you're 3/4 there already.
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote