Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #151
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

Agree with the level of fitness thing. I can ride my ZX-6R all day and I am not in that great of shape (have a desk job). On the Harley thing I just like to stir things up and I don't really mean half of what I say about Harley.. Don't tell anyone but if I bought a Harley it would be a Fat Boy. The reason I am hard on Harley is that they are the great white hope i.e. outside of Victory,Indian and others they are it for American motorcycles. I want them to show the world US workers and engineers can be the best. Look I want to H-D to move forward and attract younger buyers. I know the H-D folks have the creativity. I want them to show a hunger for excellence and technical prowness. But you say he that is stupid from a business perspective and I will counter it is not from a long term perspective. V-Rod is a nice start but they need to plow more money into Buell etc.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #152
KPaulCook
Banned

Default I am going to shut up and ride now

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 03:11 PM   #153
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: ABS is swell

Sarnali, he was simply making an analogy to underscore his point. I'm sure there are statistics out there, but I would bet that ABS would save the ass of a large majority of riders. I would guess perhaps only the top 10% of motorcycle riders have the skills you boast of. In a panic stop situation, the rest of us would likely panic-stop sooner and safer with ABS.

Speaking of computer assistance: Michael Schumacher has many miles and years of practice operating a Formula 1 car, but let's see - he uses a computer's assistance for traction control, launch control, etc., etc. Perhaps he doesn't have the hand/foot/eye coordination required to drive well without it, then? I wonder if Schu is as pompous as your comments appear to be?

Peace, bro
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #154
Hadji
Founding Member

Default MO filters responses?

I think MO filters out the responses of non-subscribing "anonymous squids". For a minute, I thought Kookie was StarvingStudent, but Kookie is out of school...or is he?

As for the rest of you, I am going on my first 650+ mile day at the end of the week and the only thing I've got to make it easier is a Throttle Rocker. R1100SBX, BMW Saddlebags & Tank Bag, Throttle Rocker and Me for a week in North Carolina! Woo-hoo! I'm 6'-0" tall, 230 lbs and 38 years old. I guess I'm gonna find out just how much of a sport-tourer I've got or just how young/old I am! Damn! Maybe I've still got time to trade in for a K1200RS, I mean R1150GS Adventure...wait, KLR650! That's it!

Live to ride, ride to live......just do it!

Singles and Twins forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 03:54 PM   #155
jam6
Founding Member

Interesting to see so many people say that Honda is missing the mark and that their latest products are a disappointment. Last I heard, their sales last year were up like 8 million percent, and that was before the new VFR/954/919/ST1300. They must be doing something right, like finding the blend of price, features, and performance that appeals to the general market, not us obsessive types who love motorcycles so much that they'll rant in online forums @ every opportunity.

Ride on!
jam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 04:05 PM   #156
JKortegard
Founding Member

Default Re: SPORT touring works

I owned an ST1100 for over 5 years and then got the urge for a sportbike and bought an R1 in Dec 2000 and promptly planned a big road trip to see if the R1 could cut the mustard as a sport tourer. With emphasis on sport, of course.

During the summer of 2001 I rode the R1 over 5200 miles from Seattle to California to Colorado and back, with a small gear bag and tent bungeed to the pillion pad. The first 2 days were miserable on account of the rain in WA and OR, but the following 19 days were motorcycling heaven. (http://www.pbase.com/jkortegard/road_trip_2001) Some of the most fun I've ever had on two wheels, truthfully. And even though the ST may run away from Valkyries and 'Wings on twisty roads, I guarantee I was having much more fun on my R1 than anyone could have on an ST. A 700-lb bike just feels super-porky in really tight sections of roadway.

Sure, I could make more miles in a day on the ST, but I still was able to do 300-400 miles per day along the backroads on the R1 and I was having a blast doing it. And unless you're doing the IBR, isn't that the whole point?

The old ST was just too heavy, too big and a bit shy on power. The new ST makes some gains in those areas, but not enough to really keep my attention. Especially when I've got a great sport tourer already in the garage.

- Jamin
JKortegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:01 PM   #157
rocket13
Founding Member

Get a Grip. I logged over 200K on 3 Yammies with no problems and my piece o' crap Honda GL1500 engine went south with 10K on the clock. Honda warranty-that's a joke!

The ST's are fine machines but to trash another brand with your comment and nothing to base it on is pretty presumptious.

MOST bikes start out rather evenly, a lot depends on the feeding and care and any (car, bike, aircraft) internal combustion engine maker has the occaisonal clinker.
rocket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:35 PM   #158
vcs700s
Founding Member

I am not sure what magazines you read but Cycle World just voted the Interceptor the best street bike of the year. The 954 has been called the best balanced sport bike by more than one publication. Neither is a disappointment. Also, I get tired of hearing people complain about the Interceptor's weight gain but don't hear many praising Honda for making the ST1300 lighter than the ST1100. There is a reason that Honda sells about 50% of the motorcycles in the world. It is because they build the best motorcycles in the world!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 06:41 PM   #159
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: MO filters responses?

Got a 00 KLR for sale, send an email.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:05 PM   #160
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: ABS is swell

well I suppose crow doesn't taste that bad, god knows I've eaten enough of it, I agree that ABS is a good thing , both my cars have it and as I stated in a prior post, If I had a chance to ride a bike with ABS I might change my opinion, however being lumped into the anti helmet group for pointing out what I felt was a reasonable issue i.e. ABS does compromise a certain level of rider input, pretty well pissed me off, I'm sure Schu's hand/foot/eye coordination is at least as good as mine as I'm sure many others is too,,,,,my bad, peace out
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote