Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2002, 11:21 AM   #141
ballan00
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda ST1300 Reader Feedback

I have done several 600+ mile/day rides on my yzf600r without any comfort problems. That makes it a bike that sees 500 miles as very doable, yet is still really fun. I would suspect bikes like the zx9r, zx12r, vfr800,etc. would all be in the same boat. That is why I don't see where the demand is for bikes like the st1300. If you want absolute comfort, buy a gold wing, road king, or similar. If you want pretty good comfort with some sportiness, one of the above mentioned bikes will give you all you need for much less (most of them) then the Honda.

I do agree with you that generally rides over 300 miles are not that fun. My problem is that I live in a very boring aread to ride, so I often have to treck across the country to find some new and exciting places to ride (hopefully in the future i will be able to afford a truck to haul the bike, but until then, i won't let that stop me).

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2002, 11:24 AM   #142
rpt
Registered Member

In Europe, for most of the countrys, the speed limit is 120 kph (75 mph) in highway. However these limits are tolerated until 140 (in Italy, the new limit is 150 for cars with dual air-bags, ABS, don't know about bikes).

In Germany, in some autobahns there is a *NO LIMIT* os something like 250 kph (160 mph).

Old world...

Yeah, right...
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:28 AM   #143
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: 1150 RT RULES ! and way the Uncle Sam told Harley how to build engines during WWI

Talking with the Boyz of BMW of San Francisco they say only one officer that they know of burns clutches often. The rest have been to spec. Then again the sales person told me not to keep the clutch in at a light, always snick it in neutral or it will wear. Go figure...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #144
ballan00
Founding Member

I have always liked Honda, but they have not put out anything in recent times to grab my interest. My first bike was an old 1971 Honda cb and it survived years and years of abuse without ever failing mechanically. I think they are still there reliability wise, but each new model seems to fall just a bit short of the competition in their specific category of bike. I think the only reason they still shine is because of their name, and their great advertising campaingns.

The cbr954rr struck my interest, but after seeing it get trounced by the competition on this site (plus sport rider where it was behind the overlooked zx9r), I think I'll pass. The fact that it also costs more than its competition while looking like crap next to bikes like the R1 (i realized this when my dealer had the 2 parked next to each other), makes me not even consider it. Yes, I realize that most will say "who cares if it is .5 seconds slower, no one on the street will use it to its potential anyway". That is true, but it still costs more and you get less whether you use it all or not.

Not to trounce the cbr, as it is still a bad arse bike. I am just using it as an example of Honda falling a bit short. I could go on and on about the vfr, cb, st, or other, but no use ticking anyone else off.

I have some of my fondest motorcycle memories on my old Honda. I hope they will get their act together by the time I buy another bike (1-2 years).

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #145
12er
Founding Member

Yeah what up SS? Summer Break?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:53 AM   #146
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

I'd love to, Lee... but I've kinda drawn the line on the weight. I don't want another garage-osaur when I can get what I want with a lighter bike.

I just did 250 miles two up on my ST yesterday, and there's nothing I hate about the bike, just the weight... and it's a little slow.

Wifey loves the bike and just giggles when I scrape the pegs on a twisty road, but for that gosh darn weight.

I don't see the new ST as getting me there. But if I hate the FJR... I'll be the first to admit it and try out a new ST.

Fair enough? Have a good one.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:55 AM   #147
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Okay, well I can tell you these guys are both leading sellers in a top 20 market... I guess they don't.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #148
jaygee1973
Founding Member

Honda continues to disappoint their customers and their dealers. I can't wait until September to through the wife on our brand new FJR!!!!!YAMAHA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jaygee1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:53 PM   #149
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: ABS is swell

thats an absolutly stupid comment, what does helmet use have to do with the pros and cons of ABS on bikes? As it happens , I wear a top line shoei / full armor leather pants and jacket with sidi strada boots, the issue of control or lack there of with ABS is a valid one brought up by a number of professional journo's / testers , perhaps you lack the hand / foot / eye coordination required to ride well without ABS, in wich case your fortunate to have the option on your bmw, I on the other hand, have managed thru many miles and years of practice to operate my bike well without a computer's assistance.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #150
DucButt
Founding Member

Just smile and ride is right on - why didn't you leave it at that? I would submit that level of comfort on a sport bike is more directly related to level of fitness of the rider. I'm a 42 year old "squid" if you want to call me that, and I have no problems with a 300 mile ride in the Sierras on my duc.

Comment on this thread: More than usual, there seem to be many people making generalizations and blanket statements. Opinions are welcome and constructive when they're stated as opinions - but so many people here seem to confuse subjective opinion with objective fact.

Stating that Honda/Harley/Etc. is not right for you is cool. Stating your negative opinions about them is cool. Suggesting that anyone who likes/rides/purchases them is an idiot is uncool. How can I respect your opinion if you can't respect mine?

By the way, I don't ride a Honda or Harley, but I think anyone who does is cool.

Just shut up, smile and ride...
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote