Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Yamaha Bulldog review update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275)

jmeyn 06-18-2002 01:19 PM

Wecome back and keep it coming

Exactly right! It's all about comfort in the end; If, over a given route, my bikes best speed is in my comfort zone but not in my friends comfort zone I'll win.

Poser 06-18-2002 01:19 PM

Re: Yamaha Bulldog review update

I had some of the same kind of experiences on a Bandit 600. The speeds were a lot lower, and my skill level is a whole lot lower, but in the right kind of twisties, a bike like that is perfect. Flattening out the hero blobs just adds to the entertainment value.

jhinton 06-18-2002 01:20 PM

Real World Bikes

I actually enjoyed your write-up on the bulldog. I have to agree that the spec sheet is not the only thing that counts. In my book real world use matters most.

Keep up the good work, I'd like to see more reviews of unique bikes. The same old 600, Vtwin, open class shootouts that EVERY magazine reviews EVERY year gets really old.

I just sold my ZX7-RR and bought a R1150R partly on your recent review. It's a great bike for all around riding and surprisingly quick in the twisties. Oh, and I can ride it for more than 30 minutes without pain.

BykerGeek 06-18-2002 01:21 PM

Bravo !

I just traded a 110hp bike for one w/ abt 80 and have no regrets. Our lust for powerful bikes have netted us a very raceworthy (& HI Tech) but not very roadworthy crop of sport oriented bikes. Let the Bulldog stand on its own merits as a real world alternative and it will shine. When does it come to the US?

Xylene 06-18-2002 01:26 PM

A big factor in considering a m/c buy is cost of insurance. Many insurance companies, including mine, charge by displacement rather than category. So this 60HP bike costs as much or more to insure than most superbikes on the market! That would absolutely kill the deal, even if I liked the bike. Until insurancers start using something useful, like HP/wt, then we'll have this crappy situation.

Ivy Thomas

Portland OR

'88 NT650 Hawk

Steven_Verschoor 06-18-2002 01:55 PM

Bulldog weight: 505 lbs. dry.
Avg. CBR-GSXR-R1 weight: 442 lbs. wet.</p>

Bulldog rear-wheel power: 57 hp.
Avg. CBR-GSXR-R1 rear-wheel power: 139 hp.</p>

Mr. Schvetz whipped the local squids even though his bike was some 70 lbs. heavier and 80 HP weaker. Moreover, he did this on a road which the squids knew well but which he had never seen before!</p>

First I'm going to track school... then I'm getting a Bulldog :-)</p>

Steven_Verschoor 06-18-2002 01:59 PM

Sigh, I'll still be slow.

fizzchem 06-18-2002 03:04 PM

I'll still smoke the Bulldog on my CB-1.

*8-)

jmeyn 06-18-2002 04:13 PM

Yes, but will you smoke Shvetz on a Bulldog?

jmeyn 06-18-2002 04:18 PM

Yes

Actually, I'll bet just plain original price is the best actuarial criteria for insurance pricing. They're not great technicians.