Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Yamaha Bulldog review update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1275-yamaha-bulldog-review-update.html)

KPaulCook 06-19-2002 09:45 AM

Re: Yamaha Bulldog review update

LOL

KPaulCook 06-19-2002 10:09 AM

Yep it depends but all things being equal

I was in a similar situation i.e. I was on a sport bike and a guy on a BMW standard was chasing me down some real tistee hairpains. Now I am not that experienced but I found my Ninja was hard to crank around the really sharp tight turns. When the road went down in the valley and meandered gently along the river I was able to easily lose him i.e. I was in the comfront zone. I suspect though on this particular road anyone following on a Blast would have had an easier time than I did. [b] But how many times are you on a road like that i.e. posted recomended (yellow sign) speed limit Not many so I tend to side with the folks that say the bulldog has low price/performance ratio. Other posters have mad the point about the insurance on a large cc bike to. In the U.S. , insurance really hits you hard on the bikes greater than 1000cc. If you going to ruin my insurance rate at least put Mr. Max's (VMax) engine in the bike.

KPaulCook 06-19-2002 10:13 AM

Corrected post

I was in a similar situation i.e. I was on a sport bike and a guy on a BMW standard was chasing me down some real tistee hairpins. Now I am not that experienced but I found my Ninja was hard to crank around the really sharp tight turns. When the road went down in the valley and meandered gently along the river I was able to easily lose him i.e. I was in the confront zone. I suspect though on this particular road anyone following on a Blast would have had an easier time than I did. But how many times are you on a road like that i.e. posted recommended (yellow sign) speed limit is less than 20. Not many so I tend to side with the folks that say the bulldog has low price/performance ratio. Other posters have made the point about the insurance on a large cc bike to. In the U.S. , insurance really hits you hard if your bike is greater than 1000cc. If you going to ruin my insurance rate at least put Mr. Max's (VMax) engine in the bike.

seruzawa 06-19-2002 10:32 AM

Re: Over and Over...

This American attitude does get sort of old. This is the sort of attitude that motivates people to buy .44mags when a .38 is more than sufficient to the task at hand. Then again there's always the minority who have to insult and degrade others in order to make themselves feel superior. Loads of these squids have no concept that just getting ijn the wind and riding for hours and hours in comfort at rational speeds can be as great a pleasure as the speed-induced adrenaline rush.

In nearly 40 years of riding I've ridden most everything from Puch 2-strokes, Ducatis and Nortons to Gixxers and HDs. Except for the incredibly unreliable bikes, of which all were British and Spanish, I've enjoyed them all. No bike can do everything. The sportbikes are awesome for quick runs, but for a long day of riding in the mountains it's the ol' naked streetbike for me, even a Sportster. This way I get an entire day of riding while the squids spend so much time in coffee shops straightening the kinks out of their backs.

nitrofly 06-19-2002 01:21 PM

Cool! Now try it again but you go on the Aprilia and ur friend on that durty ***** of an economy badBoy.

Hadji 06-19-2002 01:26 PM

I'm still waiting!

Hey Burnsie, Minimeat, Hackfooey....Doooode's!

Here is an example of what I would love to see you guys do. A real world test of singles and twins! OK, fine! Throw in all motor configurations. It would be great to read about the KTM Duke, R1100SBX, VTX1800, XB9R, etc. going head to head in the real world, traveling across country for more than a day, and listing all of the idiosyncrasies, positive and negative, about the bikes. I am more interested in how much fun and how liveable a bike is than how much rear wheel horsepower it has or if it is raceworthy. The only specification I am really interested in is the weight of the bike, ready to ride, with a full tank of gas. OK, dyno's are cool, but everything else, will be in the article about real world riding. I know you have to hype, cause hype sells, but it's your words that guide the future of motorcycling.

Good job Yossef! How about a long term test on the Borile? I would like to hear your test of the Buell XB9R whenever it makes it to Europe.

fizzchem 06-19-2002 01:58 PM

Dollars to donuts, jethro. No problem.

sherm 06-19-2002 03:04 PM

OK, you've made your point - almost anything can beat almost anything if the conditions are right, e.g. road/track geometry, rider skill, willingness to go like crazy around blind turns on two lane public roads, etc., etc. But now how about a sop to those unkwitting fools that plunked down big bucks for their liter sportbikes.

Here's a proposal for your next mix and match.

Bikes - GSXR-1000, any 600 sport bike, SV-650, XBR9, and of course a Bulldog if you can smuggle one in.

Venues - Big track at Willow Springs

1/4 mile drag strip

Secret desert road for top speed testing

Any suitable place for roll-ons and zero to 100 testing

(I recommend the GSXR because it is faster than the other liter bikes but cost the same.)

You don't have to give us a lot of small talk when you have the results - just the numbers will do fine.

This should make everyone happy.

KPaulCook 06-19-2002 07:38 PM

I dare MO to do your suggestion sherm (can they handle the truth?)

Yep can you do that ergo thing like Motorcyclist and Sports Rider. Just kidding. Sherm, I think you covered the bases on this one. If MO does what you say we could stop all debates on this site i.e. 600 vs 1000, inline 4 vs Twin, Liquid cooled Twin vs Aircooled, Dog vs world. What would we have to talk about it. OK I dare you MO ?

KPaulCook 06-19-2002 07:43 PM

I have to agree

I really liked the SV until I sat on it and rode it. It didn't fit me (I'm 6' 200 lbs) the pegs were in the wrong place for me. I was really disappointed cause it looked good, sounded fantastic, had good reviews etc. I ended up with ZX-6R which fit me better than anything under 750 cc.