Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-18-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Smiling perversely

What's that?

You had good, even great, reason to smile.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2002, 08:48 PM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Where's the video?!?!?!

You mean to tell me that you waxed a bunch of rockets on your Bulldog and you didn't tape it? I can't believe this.......If you're going to be engaging in these kinds of shenanighans, keep a mini DVcam duct taped to your frickin' tank and give us something to watch. Will someone tell me what I pay you people for? Throw me a frickin' bone here......
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:57 PM   #13
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Cool!

Nice follow-up on a missing aspect of the original review! Now I think that it might make a nice compliment in my stable to my SV650.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:39 PM   #14
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: Yamaha Bulldog review update

I had the oppurtunity to use my friend's Transalp 650 (a adventure tourer -like Aprilia Capanord- with Hawk GT's engine) from Istanbul to a resort town called Sile right by the Black Sea. It is a twisty and slippery 65 mph max. road with blind crests but I loved doing it on a Transalp. I had travelled there before on my old 97 ZX-7R and it wasn't fun at all. With the Transalp, I was able to get on gas without fear of highsides, slides or worry about being in the right gear. The torquey twin would just carry me through the corner effortlessly while the long travel suspension soaked up the worst off the bumps and potholes. The front end dive under brakes was a bit weird at first but I got used to it and never thought about it afterwards. The upright sitting position and comfy seat also worked for me in this unfamiliar road, keeping me from getting tense as I would (and had) on a race rep. I ended up arriving in Sile fresh and ready for more. This wasn't the case with my old 7R and I believe same would go for my current bike, a 2000 ZX-6R.

I don't understand why most magazines and riders scoof at machines like the Transalp ("dull and underpowered") or the Bulldog. In the real world these machines are much more capable and almost as fast as (and at times faster than) sportsbikes.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:42 AM   #15
DialedIN
Founding Member

Isn't top speed of a stock 17,000 dollar harley about 110? And it won't handle the twisties?

The bulldog makes a little bit more sence now!

DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:06 AM   #16
fernandopan
Founding Member

That's ridiculous!!!

And if the guys on the rockets weren't racing? They might be just travelling.

And if the ninja guys were begginers and couldn't go faster because they were afraid?

This is not a comparative test.

And, of course, in a downhill brakes are more important than motor, even a guy in skates can reach 60 mph going down!

Ok, it's more confortable, it's nicer, it's cool, it's torquey, it's more beautiful, it's easier, it's a pleasure to ride, it's safer, it makes coffe. But faster than a R1??
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:22 AM   #17
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Squids rock!

I really love the squid attitude, if it 'aint laying down 130 ponies then it's just a piece of crap!

My favorite part is when I show up at our local bike night on my beaten up old sportster (yes I own other bikes, but I like riding this one) and park next to all those 'busa's, R1's, 998's etc and watch and listen to all those handsome tall men in thier finest one piece racing leathers (with untouched knee pads) and custom painted shoei's snorting with derision at the antiquated, 50 horsepower load of ****e that dares to share thier parking lot.

Then after an hour or so of sipping red bulls they all mount up, yoshimuras and supertrapps howling and pull out in one angry swarm of 3 second 0-60's.

But wait! watch them leave, see how few of them have the confidence or riding skills to actually put thier feet on the pedals before the scooter has done 150 yards!!! hmm, wtf?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:50 AM   #18
banda
Founding Member

Anyone who would give up a Husqvarna Supermoto isn't fit to be giving any kind of motorcycle advice to anyone. I have even less respect for your original write-up.

By the way, you can actually buy a new Husky supermoto here in the states... in stark contrast to the Yamaha Bullfrog.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 05:09 AM   #19
mcjunkie
Founding Member

It sounds like a great bike.. and I'm sure a lot of the naysayers from the first articles feedback would be pleasantly surprised if they ever rode it. I never had any qualms w/ the power of my old 81 Virago 750.. and I'm sure it was significantly less than the Bulldog.

But the bulldog looks like a standard and on paper doesn't measure up to it's peers. Since US dealers won't let us take it out to thrash the local squids and find out how great it is, paper stats are all we have to base our buying decision on. Therefore it won't sell. Yamaha, being at least as smart as me knows this and won't bring it. too bad.

mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 05:17 AM   #20
mconlon
Founding Member

...and if the reviewer actually had one, where's the MO Supermoto review? They review a bike we can't get here, twice if you count this follow-up, but can't be bothered to review an ultra-cool bike we can get here.

Hey MO, I know you get tons of ride comparo requests, but a Super TT review is long overdue--KTM Duke, Husky Supermoto, MuZ Black Panther, Dowsn't KTM have one by now?, and throw in a 2V Monster for the fun of it.

Mike C

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote