Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-17-2002, 11:53 AM   #61
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin?

You are as wrong about this as you are about what constitutes free speech and the Federalist papers. Just looking out for my buddy sport bike pilot, who spends his time educating the next generation of scientist and engineers (you know folks that produce things), rather then add another leach lawyer to the gene pool.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2002, 12:08 PM   #62
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default You are no longer dealing with John Burns

"My ZX-6R has plenty of torque for the street. In fact the ZX-6R races against 750s in the superstock class."

Oh, are those the new superstock public street races where no one goes above 8500RPM and no one is actually racing?

You seem to have a hard time grasping written concepts. I believe I said that I would be faster on a track (as would most amatuers) with a 600 as opposed to my R1----where the forgiving nature and lower torque of a 600 are more conducive to low lap times----however, the much-higher midrange torque of the R1 is MORE FUN on the street.

I owned a GSXR600 for three years before buying my R1, and the last time I rode a 600? A few months ago. Their power has slightly improved, but to think that it is comparable with a 1000 betrays your ignorance. When was the last time you rode an open-class? I ride an R1, so now I am a Harley rider? You think your 6R motor is comparable to an R1? Where are your dyno results? I have mine. Let's compare.

If you'll go ahead and show me where I said that I have a problem with 600s in my original post, I'll humbly bow before your greatness. Until then, think before you speak or keep you mouth shut entirely.

Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #63
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

I used to feel the same way--65 hp was passable, 80 was about right--but after having bikes with 100 or so rear wheel horsepower and spending considerable saddle time on bikes in the 115-120 range, I've moved those numbers up a bit. Now I think 120-130 is about right, and I would not want to deny an experienced rider the right to purchase a 145 hp Gixxer 1000. I agree that very few people can use all that horsepower, especially me, but there are times when it is good to have some extra horsepower in reserve. The ability to accelerate out of harms way can also prevent a few unneeded trips to the ER. It's also nice to have the additional power when you aren't running at a 10-10ths pace, but are just out for a spirited ride. Sometimes it's fun to just keep a bigger bike in a higher gear, focus on your cornering technique instead of keeping the engine spinning at its peak efficiency level, and let the abundant torque carry you from apex to apex.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:20 PM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Give me a break.. Problem with 600s?? You are so out of touch. re you a Harley ri

True, but they get to their destinations more quickly because they don't have to spend 1/2 hour on the side of the road getting a speeding ticket.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:23 PM   #65
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Prove me wrong

Go ahead and enlighten me on the Federalist papers. When was the last time you read a single page of them?

I am not a lawyer---I am an informed citizen, fiercely protective of my freedom. I work in the computer industry-----you know, those people that help morons like you get their computers running again so they can use them to make themselves look like fools on message boards.

Are you saying you produce anything? I don't see where you get the time---you seem to spend most of it running your mouth on this board.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:28 PM   #66
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Rider differences...

It has been known to happen
Old 06-17-2002, 12:29 PM   #67
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A quote from MO about EFI

This statement doesn't say that opower remains the same at altitude. Just that the power delivery remains smooth.

The power decreases with increased altitude as any physics student, or airplane pilot would know. That is unless you turbo or supercharge the engine. Juel injection merely changes the mixture to keep the combustion at optimum. Higher altitude=less air pressure=less oxygen mass=less power.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:33 PM   #68
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I suspect that "maintained its composure" is different that "didn't lose an ounce of power". Can you explain to me exactly what sensors are used and how? Why do they still correct 1/4 mile times for altitude with fuel-injected bikes? Is it possible for you to read a sentence without inferring that the writer rides a Harley? Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?
Old 06-17-2002, 12:34 PM   #69
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Of course all of the WSB and AMA Superbikes that are FI, are using open loop, does that make the Harleys closer to superbikes? Almost all of today's motorcycles are still open loop.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:39 PM   #70
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I think tire adhesion could be part of it, but the weight difference between the 600s and 1000s isn't so great anymore. What's the difference between an R1 and R6? I can't remember exactly, but I think it was less than 20 pounds. The other thing, the 1/4 mile times----though the times are less than a second apart, at 130+MPH trap speeds, .5 second translates into a huge difference in distance.