Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-17-2002, 07:50 AM   #41
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin?

or... emotion induced fuzzy logic makes you buy a Civic and bolt on a turbo and NOS.........

Back to bikes, yeah, my F4 was great. I still didn't like it. I get more a of a hoot from riding my Hawk and my XR650R on the street.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2002, 08:04 AM   #42
Sean_Burke
Founding Member

On the way to Jack Lord...
Sean_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #43
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

This was a great test, but would have been even better if you had included the GSX-R 750. It seems to me the perfect compromise between 600-class agility and open-class torque.

The first time I rode with a GSX-R 1000-mounted buddy, I was a bit shocked at how little the extra power mattered in spirited street riding. Riding my bone-stock Triumph, I was able to hang with the big Gixxer (ridden by a racer who is at least as fast a rider as am I, and probably faster) all day long (until my buddy finally spit himself off and totaled the bike).

The 600s are great on the track, but in the real world, it can be a lot of work keeping them on the cams. With an open classer you can just surf the torque curve. On the other hand, you can get on the gas a lot earlier with a 600. The 750 Gixxer might be the perfect compromise between open class and 600, enough torque to keep from having to shift 10,000 times on your favorite twisty road, and manageable enough power delivery to allow you to get on the gas earlier when exiting a corner.

Of course there's always option number 3--buy a USED Mille. A local dealer has a pristine 2000 R model with under 4K miles for $10,200.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:05 AM   #44
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Quite true, Abe. KPaul seems to have an allergic reaction to your comment, but you are spot on.

Yes KPaul, I have owned a 99 F4, so I know. I have ridden other new 600's. For me, they were totally gutless below 7K. When my friend on his CBR1000F would just idle away from a stoplight and roll on the power, I had to slip the clutch at 7500 to keep up.

If I lived in canyon country, I might feel differently, but where I live, the roads are straight and 600's are annoying.

And yes, I'd be faster on a track on any 600 than any literbike.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:32 AM   #45
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Give me a break.. Problem with 600s?? You are so out of touch. re you a Harley ri

Let's not forget:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mckaw/00zx6r.motml

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/01f4i.html
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:42 AM   #46
ballan00
Founding Member

Good read - I wish you would do stuff like this more often. Just take what ever bikes you can scrounge up around the garage and take them to the track for a flogging. Seems like the true spirit of being a motorcyclist.

I also think this article makes a true statement that your average rider doesn't need the most powerful bike to be fast on the track, a lesson many a squid should learn before killing themselves on a gsxr1k or the likes.

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:11 AM   #47
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Rider differences...

Great Data! It supports my point in that a fast SV expert can spank a mid pack 600 expert.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:13 AM   #48
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Rider differences...

Now I see what confused you. I was talking about faster riders on slower bikes, not comparisons on the same bikes. Really fine data though. Thanks!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:20 AM   #49
Shadowspawn
Founding Member

Right, it definately depends on where you are ridding. Here in TX, it is basically open and flat. Being quick in the turns isn't gonna get you much on the street, since the streets don't turn. Now the question would be, how do we judge how well it weaves in and out of traffic. Any relation to the turning stuff on track?
Shadowspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 09:34 AM   #50
rocketorM3
Founding Member

Default Now I know why I like 4 bangers better

The performance is the same or better, and the price is usually less. My bike is a YZF600R not R6, so it is way cheaper than bikes above 600. Now I know the next will be a good used R6 when is that FI version coming out.
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote