Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2002, 03:06 PM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin?

At Streets of Willow a properly set-up, stock motored SV-650 on DOTs will do 1:27.5s all day long and properly set-up supersport legal GSXR 6 / R-6 / CBR 6s on DOTs will do low 1:23s. I think you need a few guest testers to bring thier street legal, no internal mods bikes to the track to help with a super comparo. I'll volunteer to bring the SV.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2002, 03:14 PM   #22
westland
Founding Member

Great article, and I'd like to see more comparisons across different classes of bikes. I own a 2000 R6 which is my all time favorite bike... it looks good, it's comfortable, it's flickable. I'll never get the sort of times your testers get, so it's great to see how good the bike is in the hands of someone who's really fast.

I also agree with the post on the 'right tool' ... I also own an XJR1200 (nicely customized) which is my idea of what Harleys would look and feel like if they just had some class (flame away) as well as a VFR400 which I keep at the track. Real luxury, since I can choose what fits my mood. I'm not sure I would trade any of my bikes in their particular class.

Chris Westland -- Hong Kong
westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #23
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Vlad has a great idea MO ARE YOU LISTENING

Great idea. For those of us prone to limited dimensional thinking i.e. the quarter mile times, hp and torque etc. it would be good to broaden our perspective and laps times at a track are really a better way to measure the performance of a sport bike. I would like to see the Buell Firebolt thrown in to see how it does against the SV. Although the Bolt did well in the Cycle World track test, the ever present H-D skeptic in me says it was rigged due to the inclusion of the skid pad where the Buell would have a distinct advantage. i.e take the skid pad out of the course and CBRs and Ceptors walk away from it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 08:31 PM   #24
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: If these bikes were women

1200 S is a great bike. I saw a MSF instructor rip up the MSF test with once. i.e just to prove to us squids it could be done in the right hands. I thought about getting one for touring and commuting on.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:35 PM   #25
KPaulCook
Banned

I can definitely see the resemblance of the TL and a good time blonde. The TL was the first bike I sat on at a dealer so I was definitely drawn to her. But fornuately, the salesman like a big brother steered me away to her little sisters, "Son that girl is way to much for you given your lack of experience. Always loved the looks. of both the TLs. The SV looks like her little sister a little less developed (boobs and butt)
Old 06-16-2002, 05:21 AM   #26
Steve781
Founding Member

Your loss may have been my gain. Your old college girlfriend/600 matured, got a job in marketing at a big company, filled out in a good way, and morphed into my '01 Interceptor. She traded in her bikini top and cut-off shorts for a little black dress. Add a touch of make-up or a coat of wax and she's as hot as anything at bike night. She is also more than willing to go moto-camping for 4 days. And she is still low maintenance enough to drink beer/87 octane. Track days? Yeah, she's game for it and will acquit herself well.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 06:38 AM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

I am glad she happy like I said I was young and stupid. 87 octane looks good right now. Compared with the Zxers required 92.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:50 AM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Two new girls moving to town

Old man Kawaski says he gets custody of his daughters in September (Kawasaki Rumors: New ZX-6R and ZX-10R www.motorcycledaily.com). Given the man's reputation for giving us fast women (ZX-12R), do you dare try the 10R???? Or you man enough? Hey I got all summer to get ready. time for some track days and some time in the gym. Good day to take the little woman (ZX-6R) for a spin.

Old 06-16-2002, 07:38 AM   #29
buella_1
Founding Member

Nice article. But, I'd like to see a much broader comparo. Especially the sv650(s) and xb9r and maybe an rc51 just for broader perspective on the twins. The $17,000 Mille R is a bit of a stretch, but understand they wouldn't give out their lesser bike.

moremoremorecomparos

yummy!
buella_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 08:37 AM   #30
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Good idea!

Actually I'd like to see how the SV650 with Racetech springs and cartridge emulators and an Ohlins, Penske or Fox shock in back would do against the 600's - the bike would still be less expensive than anything else mentioned. The stock SV suspension really is cheap compared to what the other bikes get, so I don't think this would be unfair given the still-lower total cost.

Tires would of course be standardized and the Sprotec M1's used here are a great choice.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote