Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin? (

dwr461 06-15-2002 03:47 AM

Re: What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin?
Good article. Good to see ya'll back in the saddle again. By the by, if anyone who knows the answer reads this, what happened to my post on the mysterious disappearence article? It no longer shows up there.

me_and_the_chicken 06-15-2002 04:22 AM

>>>But the real crux of the biscuit here is logic versus emotion. Logically, a 600 (in the color you like) is all you need. EmotionallyÂ… the options spin off into the sunset, fueled by cues from personal experience and desire (and fanned by advertising grist.) Logic without emotion buys you a Civic. Emotion without logic buys you something Italian. Somewhere in between, Billy, is a bike for you!<<<

I agree with this in a lot of ways. A LOT OF WAYS!

However, I also say that a good rider is going to go fast on anything. Including something that's a bit more laid back. To me, just take what the bike has and use it to it's potential. And these bike are capable of many things.

glf5810 06-15-2002 06:43 AM

Hey Burns where's the medallion? Anywho, all I can say is this, I'm lucky enough to have both a 2000 zx6r and a 2000 mille, (my first bike was a 1991 gn-125 so I've done my time) and since I got the Ninja first (and I do like it) I thought this was all the bike I would ever want or need but then I went crazy and got the Mille and it's the best thing I ever bought, period. Yes I hate to admit I bought it for looks and the fact that it was somewhat exclusive and Italian but what I got in return is the most fulfilling and smile inducing toy I've ever had. The ninja is fun but the mille is sex with a supermodel and it only gets better.

jmeyn 06-15-2002 07:18 AM

The Wheelie thing again
You said: And then onto the poor, unempowered R6. What's the deal then? Why is the bike with no torque the one that wheelies every time out of that tight little first-gear right? Gearing? Weight? Dunno.

The wheel comes up when all the weight has transferred to the rear wheel. If you can move your body forward and down far enough you can put the front wheel on the ground and convert the wheelie to rear wheelspin, the same result you see with the big boys.

The answer is gearing times torque plus too high or too far back center of gravity = wheelie. You'll exit that corner faster with incipient wheelspin then with a wheelie.

KPaulCook 06-15-2002 07:57 AM

Hey man, I will never criticize you on that. If someone does just say at least I am not as bad as Cook. :) I totally agree with you on the bargain or price/performance of the big 4 600s. Even Triumphs bike is a good value.

Duken4evr 06-15-2002 08:23 AM

Re: If these bikes were women
LOL. To carry the girl analogy a bit further, my Suzuki TL1000S is a good time blonde who has a bit of a fat butt, but is serious fun in the sack.

I know plenty of other bikes are better, but I enoy the party girl. She is amazingly low maintenance too!

Vlad 06-15-2002 11:54 AM

Guys, this is a great concept. I mean I enjoy watching the young studs wander into the bike shops and think that a GSXR-1000 or an R-1 will make them the fastest in creation. But it won't. I have a sick belief that anything over eighty horsepower is a waste for one up riding. In fact, anything over 65 might be a waste for a light bike. The horsepower difference can be made up in skill and handling. (Of course, I realize that somebody like Ben Bostrom or Fast Freddie can actually use all of that horsepower, but I don't think any of us are that good.)

So I have this strange idea. Use the same course at Willow, same tires, same riders. Keep a running chart of the lap times. Take some other bikes out there. I would suggest starting with the ever-popular SV650, mebbe the new Suzuki DL, add in a Ducati 900ss (maybe the 750 as well) and see how the lap times really compare. I mean this is a community service. It might convince some riders that they really don't need all of that HP. It might even prevent a few of us from an unneeded trip to the ER.

sarnali 06-15-2002 11:55 AM

he be stylin'

Blade-Rider 06-15-2002 12:07 PM

I thought it was more like Jimmy Neutron's.

sarnali 06-15-2002 12:11 PM

Re: If these bikes were women
I can relate to that analogy, my '01 1200s bandit is like the "mature" woman you hook up with ,after you become invisible to the sweet young hotties { age 40 or so, it seems} not quite as tight or fresh looking, but treat her just right, and she can rock your world all day long