Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-18-2002, 06:58 AM   #111
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: What Size Victory? 600? Openbike? Twin?

I concurr with your track experience-----I have never had the opportunity to get on a track with my R1, but the power is definitely fun on the street. Not that I use 100% of it all the time, or even 50% of it-----it's just that I don't have to shift as often and make as big of a ruckus to get going real quick. If I want to pass a couple cars, I may not have to shift at all. It's the same with cars-----You might find the odd turbocharged NOS Civic that can stay even with a Corvette, but the torque of the vette is much more fun and useful on the street, in my opinion. Plus they look better.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2002, 07:11 AM   #112
ferb
Founding Member

Since when is Metzeler making musical instruments?

I quote:

"A call to Metzeler produced, like magic, fresh M-1 Sportecs for all three bikes ET VIOLA!--another penetrating and possibly perplexing performance-bike pu-pu platter."

So how will adding a Viola to my bike make it faster???

ferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 05:32 PM   #113
Vlad
Registered Member

No, I did think about what I said. When I said "we" I was trying to be gracious and include beginning riders. Recently here in Atlanta, a dealer that I know refused to sell a 16 year old a GSXR-1000, even though Dad was willing to pay for it. The kid had not yet taken the beginning rider course, though he was scheduled for it. Later that day, Saturday, he went to another dealer with his Dad and bought an R-1, promising that he wouldn't ride it until he had taken the course. The boy died the next day in the North Georgia mountains.

Fugger, you are right, it's the rider who gets into trouble, not the HP. But putting too much horsepower into someone's hands too early is an invitation to disaster.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:26 PM   #114
jmaracing
Founding Member

Default Re: What Size Victory? Another view

There is another thing to consider in this equation. While most people will lap as fast on the track with a small and nimble 600 as with a bigger sledgehammer of a liter bike, many of the reasons don't translate to the street as well. The higher corner speeds and similar acceleration at peak horsepower of the 600's are fine for the track, but when you can't see around the corner, and you want more torque, the bigger bikes move to the front. I think an R6 makes a brilliant track bike, but it's bigger brother makes a much better streetbike. Of course the Mille makes an even better one, but then I'm biased.

J-M
jmaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:39 PM   #115
JKortegard
Founding Member

It can be done. The question is: how badly do you want to do it?

During the first 3 days, riding down from Seattle through OR in the non-stop rain, I had my doubts about my decision to take the R1 on that trip. But then on the end of the third day I made it into northern CA and all my doubts were washed away as I explored lots of fun, twisty roads.

Three weeks in all, and I can't wait to do it again.
JKortegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:31 AM   #116
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default viola

I suppose you spell ciao "chow"?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:13 AM   #117
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: From < 1000 to 14000 Rpms in second gear the new 600rs rule

Geeze, you really do get upset.

You seem to be arguing that literbikes don't have more real world torque than 600's. That is a dead end argument. Heck, my F4 felt slower than my Hawk below 40mph and anytime the F4 was below 7000 RPM.

Let me put it this way, in order to feel a significant surge, one must seriously rev a 600. On the F4, in second gear, that means 60-95 mph. On my F4, that meant a very ugly ticket on a Saturday morning.

I like bikes that lunge forward anytime, anywhere, any gear. This doesn't make 600's bad, just different and not fun to me.

You are probably the first guy to call me either uninformed or a liar. I have experience a few Harleys and came away embarrassed for America. I have a Hawk, a couple of dirtbikes, had an F4 and roadraced for two seasons. I have little experience on literbikes, but enough to state that they pull harder (and, to me, more enjoyably) than 600's.

Given your response to not one, but two, reasonable statements, one could conclude that you are an idiot or a 16 year old dork. I'll just assume you had a bad day.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:26 AM   #118
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I used to lust for Vettes. Part of me still does. I just can't hack the seating and visibility. Great cars, nonetheless.

There is something amusing about spastic little imports. Probably pretty unpleasant on the street though. Maybe I should just step away from the Fast and the Furious DVD.........
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:35 AM   #119
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Re: Shifting a 600 is a problem?

Sometimes it's fun, but after you get used to liter-class torque, it can also be annoying as hell.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:57 AM   #120
Haird
Founding Member

I like the concept for this article, comparing bikes across categories. It is just what I was looking for after reading the four- and two-cylinder liter bike comparos and wondering how the twins would compare with the fours on the track. This cross-category comparison aligns more closely with the decision-making process I use when looking for a new bike, i.e. I'm definitely considering bikes from more than one category.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote