Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #1
Mikey
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

If they can coax 5 more ponies out of that motor it would be a lot nicer. But I say, "Bring it!"

Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
mattg
Founding Member

Toss a v-max motor into the mix and then we'll talk.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Just 5?

It needs a lot more than 70hp if consumers are expected to pick it over a Monster 750 or even a Sportster 1200. Both of those bikes are classics in their own right and deserve the nod before what would be seen as "just another Japanese".

Another point, shouldn't an every day bike be liquid cooled? Summer traffic jams are bad enough without your ride over heating. Anything to improve the cooling in those situations is welcome.

So long as I nitpicking, the pillion accomidations look less than spectacular. No grab rail and a pipe under foot on either side. Again, an around town scoot needs to take a passenger time to time.

So different engine, better passenger love, and move the chock to an appropriate position (or do away with it in favor of EFI) and then bring it to the states.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #4
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Now you're talking!!

Heck, detune the engine a bit to give it that around town appeal. Drop 20hp and you're still around 97hp if you use a chain drive. How much power does the shaft sap? Another 10? That'd still be 80hp and I bet the torque curve would be sweeeeet!
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:23 PM   #5
ciao
Founding Member

Default Yawn

For two full weeks since the May 29 XB9R v. 900SS comparison thereÂ’s been no new bike review, and then this is all you can come up with? A plodding and incredibly boring standard with air-cooled cruiser power. The two-wheeled equivalent of a Chev Impala.

This thing has virtually nothing going for it, regardless of your fulsome and vacuous praise. Such as calling the frame a "bold and massive piece" with "its daring mid-tank plunge". Huh? Or claiming that "the BT1100 provides a hot conversation topic whenever it is parked in a bike-choked lot." Yeah, right. And then to counter the blandness of the bike, you go back and re-write the review with Milan as a backdrop, the "world's fashion capital" with "countless stone paved streets", etc. Sorry, it doesnÂ’t work. The thing is as ugly, fat and lazy as, well, a bulldog. So at least the bike has the right name.

Next time you take two weeks off, come up with something better than this.

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 03:29 PM   #6
The_Gemini
Founding Member

Default Re: Yawn

I've really gotta jump on this one 'cause Ciao is right on here. If you're going to go to a subscription format you're definitely going to have to step up with more content than this to keep me paying
The_Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 04:04 PM   #7
mj
Founding Member

I like it ! Reminds me of my old VX 800, another great bike that didn't sell in this country.

mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
itchface
Founding Member

Kinda'nice, but I think I'd hold out for the BT1100"R" version with another 10 hp, sportier seating position, 20-30 lbs less weight, and proper sportbike suspension; all for a measly $7000 or so. I'll start holding my breath now...
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:15 PM   #9
JALacroix
Founding Member

Default Leave it in Europe

This thing can't hope to compete with the Ducati Monster. It is not as attractive and doesn't offer the performance of the M900 not to even mention the S4. The thing weighs far too much as well. Oh, and MO...this is what we get after 2 weeks?

Jason
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:20 PM   #10
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default VMax engine=good idea

That would be sweet! It could effectively be the new VMax- the frame would be a step up, that's fer sher.