Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #71
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

Harley actually helped start the whole Japanese motorcycle industry. The Motor Company sold plans and tooling and sent over production experts in the 1930s to help Sankyo build its "Rikuo" line of VL clones. Little-known factiod: Harley used the money from Sankyo to help fund development of the Knucklehead. Harley also offered to sell the Knucklehead design to Sankyo, but Sankyo rejected the design as too leaky and too fragile. The Japanese Army rode Rikuos during the war. After the war, Sankyo resumed production of the Rikuo under license from Harley, but developed the design even further, adding foot-shift transmission and a hydraulic fork before Harley used either design. Eventually they got ****y and decided the design differed enough from the original Harley that they no longer had to pay a licensing fee. Trust me, you do not want to try ***** like that with Harley; even back in the 1950s the Motor Company had a formidable legal department. Harley leaned on the Japanese government and the Japanese government snuffed out Rikuo.

Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #72
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

Change that to "try feces like that with Harley" and see if the net nanny finds that acceptable.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #73
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

There are quite a few bikes that, with the TL motor, would be fantastic. The SV650 for starters. What's with Suzuki. They have the world's all-time greatest engine, but they haven't figured out what to do with it. The V-Strom's ok, but I want a TL-powered streetfighter with normal-sized 17-inch wheels and kick-ass suspension components.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:49 PM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

Japanese industry is notorious for its inability to innovate. They admit it themselves. The vast majority of what we think of as "Japanese technology" is simply already known technology. The Japanese are masters at using extant technology and producing well-built products at a reasonable price. Overhead cams, water-cooling, 4-valve heads, etc. All these things were developed long before WWII.

It was the Japanese that overcame the inertia of the vehicle market and forced the other manufactuers to progress beyond 1930's. In the 60's the American and Euro bike (and car) manufacturers were still producing the same sort of stuff they sold in the 1930s. American cars were lower quality every year. Bikes that broke down frequently and needed rebuilds every 25K miles were the norm until Honda came along and showed that a motorcycle could be built with more modern technology that would run for thousands of miles with little more than oil changes. For that I will forever thank them. Otherwise I don't doubt that Ford, GM, HD Triumph and the rest would still be selling us cars and bikes that require replacement or overhauls every three years.

You have to have owned a BSA or an AJS to know just how awful a motorcycle can be. Even at its worst HD never went that bad.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:09 PM   #75
Scooter_3
Founding Member

Don't bother bringing this misuse of ore to the US, we have enough weak sisters to mount should the need arise.
Scooter_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:36 PM   #76
ZR-7
Founding Member

Humm, the Kawaski KZ/ZR750 has been around for close to 20 years. Humm, the Honda CB750 has been around for 20+ years.

Philip

'02 ZR750
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #77
Duken4evr
Founding Member

It's funny, I once rode behind a talented rider in the mountains. We were hauling lumber at a good rate of speed, my knee occasionally skimming pavement. I was on my TL1000S and the rider in front of me was on a VX 800. We ripped round those curves at 75 mph plus.

Of course we were going downhill, so my horspower advantage was largely nullified. Goes to show, a fast rider will go fast, regardless of the bike he is riding...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #78
ctownsen357
Founding Member

Amen to that. I've got a Speed Triple too. Wicked looks, bad ass growl, and the power to back it up as well as a good ride for a sport bike. The Triple has everything the Neutered Yamaha aspires to be and then some.

The Triple is the only bike I've had that makes everyone else drool, Harley tipes, Sport riders, even had some old guy in a pick up pull up next to me, looked at the bike grinning from ear to ear, and says "Damn, that is a nice bike!" I think the Yamaha Bull Dog should have been named after the toy poodle you have purched on the seat in the picture. No bark, no bite, zzzzzz Have I put anyone to sleep yet.
ctownsen357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #79
Grappelli
Registered Member

It's aimed at the "stylish city commuter" market. Not a market that really exists in the US. I'd also argue that it hasn't hit the target.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:39 PM   #80
Grappelli
Registered Member

Like the Suzuki TL1000S? Phased out 'cos it wasn't selling well?
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote