Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 08:04 AM   #51
RickZ
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

More power would be great, but isn't the V-Max motor much, much larger dimensionally and much heavier than this motor? I agree that the Max is a rompin' stompin mill, but it's liquid cooled, heavy and huge. IMHO, if Yamaha put in that motor, there goes the design premise behind the Bulldog. Might as well just get a V-Max.
RickZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 08:25 AM   #52
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: Gutless wonder bulldog

I agree - the best thing this bike has going for it is the color.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 08:34 AM   #53
mcjunkie
Founding Member

SBP, If we write Yam and guarantee they'd sell at least two, d'ya think they'd bite?

You know the new one is a 900cc too.

compare to the Bulldog

90 lbs less dry

20 hp more

same fat torque..

and that 270° parallel twin should sound great.. Hoping that the VStrom will be a huge hit and Yamaha will bring the TDM over to cash in on the funky enduro market.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:04 AM   #54
Bandit400
Founding Member

Unfortunately, the reality of what makes up U.S. buying decisions is the ability to brag to ones friends and not the actual riding of the motorcycle. Perhaps my riding influences have been milder than most of today's riders. I grew up attending Loudon every year since I was old enough for Dad to strap me to the bike for the ride up. My experience has told me that a bike with only 65hp. might not set the world on fire, but it will make someone very happy for a lot longer that either the monster or the sportster. If it doesn't sell well, then you have something for people to gawk at years down the road. This one I know from experience. "Is that the new Bandit 1200 naked?" Nope! It's ten years older and the orignal thank you. Real bragging rights in the real world. Bring it on Yamaha. Someone, somewhere is waiting to give that beauty a good home.
Bandit400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 AM   #55
buella_1
Founding Member

I just bought a buell xb9r and I love it. I wouldn't even compare that bike to a buell. And if you don't understand why they have a bike like this in euro, then you probably don't understand why they make air-cooled cruisers & hog-knock-offs in the states. People like them. Of course I would like to see Buell make a water-cooled bike (repli-racer or light-naked sport) but to claim all bikes are old technology strictly based on the engine not being water-cooled is just stupid. The xb9r has one of the best frames of any sportbike. It pulls some decent HP from an air-cooled engine. I think if they opened it up and buell added a new tier of water-cooled bikes based on the xb frame, you'd see some crazy shiit happening. As of now, I like we're buell is heading & it's not in the past. Air-cooled will be in the bike world for a long time. The only reason the big 4 even makes them is because of the competition.
buella_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:23 AM   #56
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Your post is music to my ears

Right on.

Although it looks much better than the old Buells (remember those AirCleaner/Box sticking out), I just can't go for it. If I ever get the urge for a non sport bike the Monster or Mean Streak would be the first place I would start. Originality and beautiful designs really is the thing Italians are the best at. Now and then the Japanese suprise us with bikes like the Valkarye, Goldwing, R1, Haybusa, etc. They have their moments but you are right they are better at taking a concept and perfecting it like RC51 (Ducati inspired). Cruisers (Harley inspired) etc.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 09:32 AM   #57
KPaulCook
Banned

Before you bought your Buell what kind of other bikes did you have? I am just curious to see if any folks with Japanese sport bikes have converted to the Buell. Every new Buell guy I have run into either had a Harley or a some old Japanese standard (UJM) before they bought thier Buell. I really love the looks of the Firebolt and the cool gas in the frame thing. The motor and price/performance thing holds me back from buying one. You are right, if Buell ever puts in a *****in watercooled modern high hp& toruque V-Twin I'll be the first to rundown to try one.

The reliability thing is also another thing so please do us a favor by keeping us up to date on the reliability of your new bike. I think with any new model there are going to be some glitches but if Buell can conquer the reliability thing it will help me get down to the show room.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:36 AM   #58
KPaulCook
Banned

Good writing, gaves us the goods kept us entertained and kept on the subject i.e. motorcycles. Love the looks of the bike but not my cup of tea yet.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #59
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Yea what is up with the color thing?

I wish MO would corner some Manufacter Rep

and ask them why the big U.S. get so few color choices. Even Canada gets a better selection? I think the Brits have three color choices for the new Ceptor.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:41 AM   #60
sqidbait
Founding Member

I like it. Big twin, good torque and power. Shaft drive. ( Hydraulic valves? ) Sane riding position. Of course the big question is cost - how much would it sell for here?

Granted it's down on power and ground clearance, but for some of us, that's not a big deal.

Personally, I just like to ride - just be out and about on my bike in the sun. I putz around on it doing errands on the weekend. Go on the occaisional tour. Oh sure, every now and again I'll hit the backroads here in NCal, but you don't need a hyperbike to have fun on them.

So for folks like me - laid back, but prefer standards to cruisers - the Bulldog would be an interesting choice.

Of course, this is all academic, since the bike isn't being imported.

All isn't lost though, for folks that want a big twin that isn't in a hard core sportbike... VStrom anyone?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote