Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 05:29 AM   #41
atomp3
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

The BT1100 is lame. Hey Yamaha, I WANT AN MT01!

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/mt01.html
atomp3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 05:36 AM   #42
BorgBiker
Registered Member

The ZRX1200, Concours, and ZZR1200 have an engine design that goes back to 1984. Age is irrelevant. This motor is probably right for it's intended audience, but not in the US.

This bike looks great, I dig it. It reminds me of the 1986 SRX600. But I, like many who've already posted, want the Vmax motor in this basic package. Add some functional scoops, with a beefed up Max motor (1400cc's with a SERIOUS midrange), and maybe twin shocks (ala ZRX) and I would move mountains to get one. A V-twin just won't cut it for me.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #43
mcjunkie
Founding Member

>Do you think Yamaha should bring this bike into the States? What say you?

It's never coming here because they (Yam) know us too well. It won't sell because on paper is doesn't match up with the competition in it's class. The same motor in a V-Star is perfectly acceptable but in a standard config, people (myself included) expect more.

The TDM, however, turns my head.. It might sell this time around. I won't hold my breath for that one either..
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:08 AM   #44
DCF
Founding Member

Default Re: Yawn

I couldn't agree more. What's going on these days? As well, recently I have to look at ads in the middle of reviews notwithstanding paying extra for my subscription. MO you are slipping.
DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:17 AM   #45
steppenwoof
Registered Member

i dont think they should bring it into the states with such an underpowered motor.....it looks great......but specs out slooooow...i love singles & v twins....if the yamaha had my 97 suzuki tls motor id consider it.......with the present motor it is not worth even looking at ...let alone riding it....
steppenwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:39 AM   #46
scott_650
Founding Member

Not a sport bike, not a cruiser, not a tourer, not a dual-sport, not an adventure tourer, not a techo-showcase, not a nostalgia bike...just an upright seating position, big gas tank, plenty of torqe and shaft drive. Way too practical for us. Without fitting a category or having 100+ horsepower this thing would never sell in the US. Since motorcycles are primarily toys in the US we don't have much use for bikes designed to get you from point A to point B. Pity.
scott_650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:06 AM   #47
GBKinLA
Founding Member

If it's got 2 wheels and an engine y'all should write about it IMO.

That was a well written article. The bike is definitely not normal and that is a good thing. I doubt if it would come to NA with that engine tuning. Me thinks either it's a slow news week or you are baiting your readers to give feedback.

In either case, well done.
GBKinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:21 AM   #48
surfimp
Founding Member

You know, it's bikes like this Bulldog that really force me to come to terms with the fact sometimes the Japanese manufacturers aren't really the most original designers & builders out there.

I mean, at first glance I thought this bike was a Buell, or else perhaps a Ducati Monster. And the engine is a twenty year old cruiser design? How lame is all that? At least the name gives credit where it's due:

BUELL-DUCATI => BUELL-DUC => BULLDOG.

I tell you what, if you want 20 year old technology in a brand new motorcycle, just get a Harley Davidson (V-ROD excepted, of course). I expect more from the Japanese manufacturers, however; I mean, how can the company who produces the freaking R1 come out with this (aptly named) dog?
surfimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:34 AM   #49
chucker6
Registered Member

As the owner of a VX800, an SV650 and a Ducati ST2, I can agree that this bike has much of what makes the VX such a great bike. I also agree that something more along the lines of a 944cc ducati engine or a larger version of the SV650 engine would be perfect in this very attractive and practical motorcycle. Even as it is, I bet with Progressive springs this bike would rock at the 8/10th speed at which one should ride on public roads. Yamaha should bring it to the US!
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:47 AM   #50
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I'm with you mcjunkie. TDM's rock. Bulletproof reliability, plenty enough power for their intended purpose, great handling, docile manners, and a unique personality that I though was very cool. My blue '92 was one of my favorite bikes ever. I'm also with you in not holding my breath waiting for them to arrive on these shores again. That's a shame.

The only problem that the TDM has (in terms of the US market) is what it is not: a fire-breathing 100+ bhp monster.

cheers

spb
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote