Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 04:56 AM   #31
dcopp
Founding Member

Default More Pony, please

Maybe this is too American in thinking, but with an 1100cc motor, shouldn't a naked sport-type bike be pushing, oh I don't know, 110hp at least? I realize that it is air cooled, I realized that it is a cruiser engine, but isn't Buell using a cruiser powerplant as well? It seems tame. And compairing it to the SV650... well, that's a torquy little ride that is just too much fun, and makes the horsepower.

On the other hand, I like the looks of it, of course the Euro models eventually will get cool color schemes and all that, and IF it ever came to the US we'd get... Blue or Black.

I'll stick with my Triumph for now.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 05:12 AM   #32
freecat
Registered Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

I was gonna say that! It is a LOT like the VX... similar power, torque, weight, steering geometry, shaft drive, etc.

But it looks like it also has all the disadvantages of the VX as well. The VX is a great bike, very comfortable and reliable... it was great for touring. But real sport riding was not an option and so I sold the VX and bought an SV650. V-twin bikes do not have to be lame power-starved, heavy machines. Yamaha should get to work on a modern v-twin to power bikes like this, or as others suggested, use its tried-and-true monster of a v-4!
Anthropology is just travel writing about places that don\'t have room service. Sociology is journalism without news. And psychology is peeking into your sister\'s diary after your parents have sent her to rehab.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:16 AM   #33
Le_Racer
Founding Member

You're right!

They should ask Harley/Buell, Ducati or even Moto Guzzi how not to get stuck with antiquated engine design...
Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:24 AM   #34
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default All bark and no bite!

It's a gorgeous looking bike. Looks like a Bulldog too. Unfortunately, it sounds like it may wheeze like one too when you get it all excited and running around.

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:24 AM   #35
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Note to Yamaha:

1) Do yourself a favor and leave this wheezer off the import list. You will kill your dealers with this dog sitting on the showrooms for years.

2) Basing ANYTHING on one of those Virago motors is a mistake. I've got one in the garage (given to me because it was broken) and the engine internals are absolute junk. At 5000 easy cruiser miles, the insides look far worse than my 20,000 mile (some of it endurance roadracing) Honda.

Keep working on the Fazer. It's great already and can fit any niche the Bull$hit, um Bulldog, can.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:28 AM   #36
freecat
Registered Member

"Can you name any other "naked standards" with less than 70 horsepower ... that have sold for more than one year? How about with a real dealer network?"

Yes, the SV650. The difference being a much more modern engine in a much lighter package, for a bargain price. It does have two carbs, though... don't know why that matters so much to you.

Other sub-70hp standards: The VX800, Bandit 400, Hawk GT, and CB-1 all sold for more than a year in the US, but they didn't sell WELL.

"All of you guys sneering at the power & weight make me laugh. I'm an adult professional with a job- I haven't got time to find out if my forks can take that 51st wheelie without weeping oil. 65 horses for my second bike and no plastic to insure or clean under sounds like paradise."

Dude, do yourself a huge favor and buy an SV650, or at least a used Hawk GT instead of something like this Bulldog. Like the Bulldog, they are competent, user-friendly, and not overpowered -- but they are much more nimble and fun to ride than most bikes on the market.
Anthropology is just travel writing about places that don\'t have room service. Sociology is journalism without news. And psychology is peeking into your sister\'s diary after your parents have sent her to rehab.
-- P. J. O\'Rourke
freecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:32 AM   #37
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Open letter to Motorcycle.com

Please, please, please... buy a SV650 and just compare every bike that you test to it so I can stop reading the whining on the message board. Better yet, stop testing all other bikes and just write a new review on the SV650 every other week. If that won't fly, add a VFR to your fleet and alternate reviews with an occasional comparo between the SV650 and the VFR. Perform Street tests, track tests, dyno runs, and long-term tests. Then declare a tie for Motorcycle.com's bike of the year, bike of the decade, bike of all time. Let's take it further... appeal to the Guggenheim to remove every significant and interesting bike from their displays and replace them VFR's and SV650's. Include every color and accessory combination possible. I would go every fricken day.

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:49 AM   #38
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

God help me, but I've become one of those anal old bastards that has to correct everything. Still, this statement is just too far from correct to let pass:

"If that motor looks familiar, that's because it's been around for 20 years now, having powered the first ever Japanese V-twins, the Viragos 750 & 920 (and later the 1100 Drag-Star). "

Sorry, but the dude's tripping. The first Japanese V-twin of which I am aware (there may have been earlier ones) was the Rikuo. This was a sidevalve V-twin built under license from Harley-Davidson after the war, and possibly even before the war broke out. Then there was the Lilac, built by the Marusho company. Although most Lilac motorcycles were opposed twins in the BMW boxer tradition, but by the late 1950s Marusho was building Lilacs with transverse, longitudinal crankshaft V-twins ala Moto Guzzi (only before Guzzi adopted the configuration). Marusho built V-twin Lilacs in sizes ranging from 125cc to 300cc. And even in modern times, the Virago/XV920 models weren't the first V-twins. Remember the Honda CX500?

The Yamahas might have been the first in-line tandem V-twins with overhead cams (the CX500-CX650 used pushrods), but given the explosive growth of the domestic Japanese motorcycle industry in the 1950s, I wouldn't even count on that.

Ok, now it's official. I'm a cranky old fartknocker. I'll go back to my basement now to polish the bevel tower on my narrow-case Ducati and rant about those dang hot-rod kids who are ruining it for the rest of us.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 05:57 AM   #39
Twisted
Founding Member

Yeah, bring it on! Naked bikes are cool! I'd like to know more about the BT1100's tech stuff, performance, etc.
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:26 AM   #40
gwagstaff
Founding Member

Default Re: Yawn

Although caio perhaps didn't state his point very politely, I agree that a subscription-based online magazine needs to put out as much content as a print magazine (i.e. at least one bike review and one bike-related article per week). Otherwise, our money is better spent on monthly print magazines.

However, I like that you review some of the bikes that don't get covered by the print magazines. After all, how can we petition the manufacturers to import a model to the U.S. if we know nothing about the bike. Petitioning was instrumental in getting the Kawasaki ZRX (my bike) and the Yamaha FJR to our shores.

Although open-class sport bike shoot-outs generate a lot of interest from the go-fast crowd, the print magazines and motorcycle TV shows have beat that horse into the ground. I enjoy reading about bikes that are a little quirky and perhaps doomed to poor sales (or no sales) in the U.S.

As for the BT1100, I believe that American riders (even beginners) won't go for it. Most beginners need something lighter, and most experienced riders want something more powerful. The bike sure looks nice though.

GW
gwagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote