Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 03:02 AM   #21
95XV1100
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

On it's own I think bike is a pretty neat bike. Price should be about 6 to 6.5 grand though. I agree if you put the v-max motor in this bike I would pay more and I think it would be a great match. If price is right I would buy this bike. Love the looks! Not a copy of anything.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 03:57 AM   #22
piinob
Founding Member

I owned three Viragos starting w/an '82 750, an '83 920, and a'91 1100. they were great bikes. This sounds like exactly what I have been watching for someone to offer for the last year or so. Bring it on!
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:58 AM   #23
ctownsen357
Founding Member

I've got to agree. Leave this puppy in Europe! The thing looks like a Buell Blast. Puke.

I've also got to say that I don't know that I'll be renewing my subscription; a lot of your content is just broken and a ***** to get to. Now that you guys are charging a subscription fee which I paid, the content seems to be going to crap. You guys have pretty much butchered the great free portal system PHP Nuke.
ctownsen357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:03 AM   #24
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default A bike for "induhviduals"

They would probably sell as many Bulldogs in the states as they sold TDMs. It would need the Warrior or Vmax engine to make it over here. It's funny that everytime you guys have an article on a bike that will never be sold in the US, there is always a vocal minority on this site pining away for it, no matter how crappy it sounds. "If only it was possible to buy bike X, I'd be the happiest/ fastest/ coolest guy on the road..."
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:36 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

When oh when are the Japanese going to stop repackaging and marketing antiquated engine designs? This engine is 20 years old fer crissakes! One can only feel contempt for suckers who are dumb enough to buy this ancient crap.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:36 AM   #26
rcox
Founding Member

Boring - I'll stay with my fun Speed Triple that never bores and always grabs attention. Went to a Hooters Bike night last night - out of 700 bikes - the only one / people still ask what it is? 300 - 400 mile sport rides in the N.C. / S.C. mountains are very comfortable and the triple howl is totally addictive.

rcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:39 AM   #27
DaveFla
Founding Member

When I first saw pix of the Bulldog, I promptly e-Mailed editors with this comment: "If Buell had built the Bulldog, I'd already have traded my Blast for one."</p>

In fact, if Buell had built my Blast more along the lines of the BT1100, I'd still own it. And of course it's an M2/Monster rip-off. Can you name any other "naked standards" with less than 70 horsepower (and only one carb to maintain!) that have sold for more than one year? How about with a real dealer network?</p>

All of you guys sneering at the power & weight make me laugh. I'm an adult professional with a job- I haven't got time to find out if my forks can take that 51st wheelie without weeping oil. 65 horses for my second bike and no plastic to insure or clean under sounds like paradise. 500 pounds might make the BT heavy, but God knows that the it'd be better suited to the occasional freeway leg than was my Blast.</p>

As for Yamaha corporate, this makes what, three bikes that have made news in the last few years because they aren't imported? If the only new models they can market in America are cruisers and crotch rockets, then they might as well give up and merge with Kawasaki and Suzuki now.</p>

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:39 AM   #28
ohlarikd
Founding Member

To quote the MT01 article :

"Yamaha's goal was to reduce the weight of the whole motorcycle and focus all of the attention on an engine that is strong and torquey. Some have likened the MT-01 to something that either Erik Buell or John Britten would build with corporate resources behind them but minus the associated red tape."

Looks like the Red Tape tied up and hung the Bulldog by its neck. What a letdown mess. I am a huge sportbike fan, but the MT01 almost won me over for a 'standard' bike I might consider. Oh well, keep waiting.

ohlarikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:47 AM   #29
DialedIN
Founding Member

I just don't see a place for this bike, in its price range. There are alot of sporty, and fast bikes already out there in its price range. Suzuki naked bandit 1200, ZRX 1200,and yamahas own FZ1/fazer1000. Only difference being, is horsepower, and shaft drive(which steals more of the few ponys the bulldog has).As far as twins go, the SV650 pulls the same horsepower as the bulldog, for a grand less.

I just don't get it...
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 04:54 AM   #30
BRIAN_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Yawn

I like this style of bike (I used to own an '84 Nighthawk S), but this heavy, powerless bike wouldn't sell many copies in the U.S. A similarly styled but far better bike would be Honda's 919. I also liked some other posters' idea of dropping the V-Max engine into this bike.

I also am very disappointed with the lack of new content lately. I've been going over to Motorcycle Daily for my FREE news fix.
BRIAN_1 is offline   Reply With Quote