Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2002, 05:47 AM   #91
jmcintire
Founding Member

Default The little engine that couldn't...

I have always been fond of the aggressive, naked looks defined these days by the likes of the Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple and others. I personally think the Bulldog has the looks to sit alongside these other bikes in the parking lot. I love the design.

So what's with that wheezer sitting below the seat?! And the battle club transferring what little power there is to the rear wheel? Last I heard, Yamaha still has a meaty v-4 laying around from some icon called the V-Max. Plus they could replace that shaft with a nice belt-drive from the Roadstar and see if Yam can shave off at least 30 lbs. You would then have an old engine design as they do now which gives them the profitability they desire and very unique and competitive motorcycle. Priced under $7500? Now we have a winner.

The very leat they could do is pull a Buell and get every last ounce of power out of that 1100 twin. Bore it, stroke it, put a 4valve head on it. Anything to make it as interesting to ride as it is to look at.
jmcintire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2002, 06:31 AM   #92
Zapata
Founding Member

Default Re: Yawn

In all fairness to MO, a new review/feature every 2 weeks isn't all that bad -- they just chose to wrong bike to review! Remember, the best print rag -- Sport Rider -- is bimonthly, and not every issue is tops. Let's just hope Burns et al are reading these posts. A new feature every week would be good. It's not called Motorcycle "Online" for nothing, right?
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #93
Le_Racer
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog Reader Feedback

The Vmax engine would be the ticket...1984 design again, but then, who care? It might be just a tad on the heavy side for such a bike.
Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:36 AM   #94
Monty
Registered Member

Back to the drawing boards. Looks great but performance won't get it done. By todays standard it won't stand up to the competition on the sales floor. Sure looks nice though!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:05 AM   #95
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: Gutless wonder bulldog

you'red absolutely right...it blows...its slow and heavy. its not going to sell...the mags will kill it. its pretty...but its got no balls
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:23 PM   #96
DonM
Founding Member

Default An 1100cc beginners bike

An 1100cc beginners bike, now thats a first. But, if the price and weight are low and the maintenance simple, Yamaha could have something here. Beginners don't want anything to be scared of. They see added power as a means to stay out of the path of SUVs.

A good accessories package would be a larger windscreen and soft bags.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:49 AM   #97
Brycejr
Registered Member

I think the reason Yamaha won't bring it to the states is simple. Does anyone out there remember the Suzuki VX800? I do, because I happen to own one from 1990. It is a wonderful bike in the city, & can hold its own on the open road. It has the 800cc Intruder water cooled, shaft drive V-twin, with about 55hp & 60 ft/lb of touque. My wife rides it, when I'm on my '89 Katana 1100. We have great fun together. Anyway the VX800 only lasted in the states from 1990 to 1993. Yes, there were other factors at that time that affected sales, but the VX800 was justs a unique standard.
Brycejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:50 AM   #98
piinob
Founding Member

Maximum HP, newest, most technological, all these things mean a lot less to me than being comfortable, useable, and hassle free. My Viragos were all of that. With over 75k trouble free miles on the first, and smallest of them, I have a lot of confidence in this engine. The shaft drive was trouble free, and well worth the trade off in power and weight. The only complaint I ever had was vibration at high speed from the engine. I would be willing to compromise with a belt drive, they seem to be pretty effective and clean. The idea of going back to a chain for everyday use is very unappealling. As it stands in the marketplace today, the Motor Company is looking more appealing all the time. An FXDX Sport is about as close as I can find to a Bulldog in this market. But it is an awful lot of money, and I don't buy motorcycles based on possible resale value.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:47 PM   #99
billhawley
Founding Member

I personally have no problem at all with a 65 -70 hp, 500 lb motorcycle that spins to about 7,000 RPM, has respectable handling (given reasonably modern suspension and frame upgrades), better than normal brakes, and will carry two people comfortably. I just described any 1973 - 1977 GT750 Suzuki. People are only now understanding what a neat general purpose machine the Water Buffalo was (and still is). Look at the specs; this is the same bike, but with air cooling and an extra 350cc's (hmmm... what's wrong with that picture?). It already has an unflattering nickname too (Bulldog). Too bad there's no Vetter Windjammer option (grin). Heck yeah, bring it in Yamaha (with 85-90 hp for those 1100cc). But do remember to give us geezers the option of a big "old style" fairing with lowers - and storage, and a REAL luggage rack (not just some "Caution: Maximum Load 9 lbs" decorative item).
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:39 AM   #100
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

The only reason the TL1000S didn't sell better is because Suzuki hampered it with that goofy f$%king rotary rear damper. Converting to a normal shock was so expensive that it wasn't worth the bother. If Suzuki had spent its money developing the S instead of dropping the steaming pile that was the TL1000R in our laps, the S could have been one of the all-time greatest bikes.
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote