Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-29-2002, 03:54 PM   #1
RobM
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

That is an interesting comp. Very hard to go past the Senna colours (saw a Senna MV Agusta up Mt Glorious the other week!! Actually being riddedn where and how God and the Italians indended), but man, it would be hard to say no to those rim-mounted brakes. They just have cool written all over them.
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
NoBrakesR1
Founding Member

Amazing, I almost dread reading reports on the XB9R for fear of throwing caution to the wind and buying one. The bike looks incredible and sure sounds interesting to ride but will it be reliable? If so I'm sure I can find some extra space in the garage
NoBrakesR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:22 PM   #3
canyoncarvin
Founding Member

This is the second review/comparo MO has published with the Buell pulling away from all others. Will you tell us what happens when the Buell is following? I always find it easier to stay in front or pull away on public roads, just to hazardous to pass with sketchy surface conditions and possible oncoming vehicles. So whats the answer, did the Buell keep up with the R1?
canyoncarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:28 PM   #4
Huss
Founding Member

Default Must..fight..the...urge...

Oh crap, I'm starting to like it more and more. I already am fortunate enough to own a bunch of great bikes but nothing recently has made me want to buy another sport bike. The one I have is plenty fast enough, handles well enough with the Ohlins to scrape pegs at any speed and yet I now find it almost boring unless I'm doing that. Which is of course a very bad thing to often do on public roads. But a sport bike that feels fun at any speed? One that doesn't need it's valves adjusted, with no chain to lube every 200 miles? Oh crap....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:40 PM   #5
alanheng
Founding Member

Default What JB wants

John, I do admire your writing skills and personality. However, it seems that you are inclined to like this bike for one reason or another; and not entirely on its performance characteristics. Which is fine, I suppose... as long as we all know that YOU like the bike, but that doesn't mean that it's matter-of-fact better.

I'd like to see an SV up against a Buell and R1 on a really tight rode. Most experienced riders know that the smaller/weaker the bike is the harder/faster you can ride it.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
SilverBullet
Founding Member

No Triumph Speed Four in the mix? Why? Was this "War of the Air Cooled Twins" or what?

I'd be cross shopping the Buell with the Triumph. Quirky-cool looking, light, not too powerful, street oriented and good handling bikes. Even pricewise the Triumph is closer to the Buell than the Ducati is.

So what's the news on the Sp4?

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:52 PM   #7
dickdastardly
Founding Member

I rode one at the HD demo rides down in Myrtle beach a couple weeks ago. I really liked the way the thing felt. Handling reminded me of a buddies 748, at least at the sub 75mph speeds of the demo ride. Short shifting at 6-6.5k produced tons of enjoyable torque.

My only problems are wondering how long

the sporty motor will last being thrashed on,

and the serious case of cramped legs that

would definitely result from longer rides.

But then, I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs...and somebody

will make lower pegs, right? Somebody kick

me before I buy one of these stupid things....

Oh yeah, rode the V-Rod too, what a &?$#@

motor!!! That engine needs to be in something

that handles!
dickdastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:43 PM   #8
Eric
Founding Member

I have an '02 M2. I have put 5500 miles on it since November with no problems (the idle speed was not adjusted properly when I bought it, but the remote adjuster made this a stop light fix). I think (hope) Buell repair demons are in the past.

However, the best reliability comparison is probably the Blast. No, it is not a hard-edged bike like the XB, but it suffers more in some ways in that it is usually flogged by beginners. It seems to be holding up reasonably well.

The other great thing about the Sporty mill is that you don't have to wind it up and thrash it to enjoy it. I split my miles evenly between the interstate and local roads where I average 55-70 MPH with pretty much no straights. 3-4000 RPM with occasional forays into higher bands is all it needs to have a great time.

Have to agree on the VROD. Did you see the picture in Cycle World. I can only hope... I test road the XB and desperately want it even though it is not half the all around bike my M2 is. Hell, I almost bought a Kawi ZR7S over the M2. But the XB just made me want to keep riding...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:22 PM   #9
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Where's the Beemer?

Very much enjoyed reading this comaparo. JB's tone reminds me of his glowing review of the R1150R. So I have to wonder: how would the Beemer have fared?</p>

JB, himself, said of the Beemer:</p>
<blockquote>

This bike is Unclassifiable."Power cruise," ride "naked," be a "hooligan," embarrass "sportbikes," go "sport-touring"; this motorcycle does it all, and while it's doing whatever it is, it's aesthetically as well as functionally a beautifully lashed-together piece of tackle. Yo, is $9,999 a misprint or what? Has the mark collapsed? Bargain with a capital "B."</p>

1130cc flat twin ... producing a claimed 85 horsies... Torque is claimed to be 71 foot-pounds, with 66 of them available between 3000 and 6500 rpm.</p>

[A]s a matter of fact the R will give all-out sport bikes fits under a capable pilot.</p>
</blockquote>

Considering the similar price, power/weight ratio and review, I think the R1150R would have been very interesting in this comparo.</p>

I'm not disappointed that the Beemer was left out, just wondering "what if..."</p>

On the other hand, JB said MO would post a dyno chart for the R1150R. That no dyno chart was ever posted is a disappointment.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #10
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

I was going to say, from looking at that Dyno plot....is it me or could the Buell use about another 1000 rpms of rev room? That HP plot was totally shorted! If they can refine it for the next gen and raise the redline a little, it should be even better in comparison to the Yammy and co.

Great job guys! I agree with the previous poster who said you should have grabbed a Triumph, if possible!

floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote