Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2002, 08:42 PM   #71
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Lots of haters...

We don't hate them we just expect more from Harley/Buell. Look at Truimph. It didn't even exist a few years ago. Now its TT600, Speed Triple and Daytona are modern bikes competing against the Japanese bikes. Harley continues to sell overpriced low tech ancient tech bikes to folks who are into the brotherhood thing. The VRod is step in the right direction but I would like to see Harley them spend some money (you Harley guys paid them for those overpriced bikes) on a real motor for the Buell. Not a 1950s rehash. How come Truimph, Aprillia and others can build a modern sport bikes with limited funds/experience but Buell/Harley can't???

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2002, 09:46 PM   #72
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default What a one dimensional twit!

Old 05-30-2002, 10:19 PM   #73
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: 11.86 is a very very slow 600

Your 1/4-mile times and attitude not withstanding, I'd still be interested to see how the XB and the R1150R run with other bikes.

I've described in an earlier post why I think the R might have been included in the 900SS, XB9R comparo.

In a nutshell, JB has said that "the R will give all-out sport bikes fits" and that the XB "was threatening to enema-ize" the R1.

I realize JB's comments refer to street riding. A track run would be interesting for at least two reasons:

1. Since some people have expressed doubt that the XB is as good as MO asserts it to be, a track run, while a different test environment, would help to buttress or dispel MO's assertions.

2. MO has good writers. Their impressions formed at a track run would be good reading. (IMHO)

For the record, and since it seems to matter to you, I'm not a "Harley guy."
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:26 AM   #74
torkmonster
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

I want to see some more dyno charts after a slip-on exhaust, K&N filter and a race module.

Buell's ,as well as Harley's, always respond very well with just a few mods to let it breath because the stock air cooled bikes are normally way undertune, from the factory, to pass emissions.

I can here the whining already about how much the bike costs and how it performs next to a stock 600. Then shut the f*** up and buy a 600.

I think these are normal mods that most people do anyway and the Buells normally respond better than most to just a few well placed performance parts.

I ride a 1990 Sportster that I have modified myself (I am a mechanic). It has a 4 speed transmission that was literally designed in the 50's. It puts out more than 100 hp at the rear wheel. It has good suspension and 17" wheels with Pilot race tires and I regularly pass R1's and Mille's and the like at my local track days. I am 6'0" feet tall and weigh 245 lbs. Basicly, I am a Harley guy but I like sport bikes too. My friends and I just ran a 3 hour endurance race on a Mille. I thought it was fun although uncomfortable. Mainly because my belly hitting the tank wouldn't allow me to tuck behind the windscreen properly.

My point is that I love my old air cooled V-twin and I love to show people that just because you ride an R1 doesn't mean your fast.

I test rode the XB at a local test ride event and couldn't stop thinking how much fun it would be to get my hands in that engine. The chassis is fine for me (all be it a bit small but I can adjust).

"Can't we all just get along."

Bottom line. Ride what you want and I'll see ya in the twisties. Oh ya, and if you pass me then my Dad can beat up your Dad anyway, so there!

Big J
torkmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:38 AM   #75
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Alan you SV Lover

Maybe you should send pics of your SV in to MO. I'm sure they'd love your creative luggage.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 03:18 AM   #76
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beef (read: Comparo?)

Wow. Right. Not track bikes. Thank goodness there are no quantiative data to back up gratuitous assertions.

If this Buell is a better handling bike than an R1 or an RC51 or a Duc, then try the Streets course and test your hypothesis with hard data. It's nice to have quantitative information to bolster points. You can try to make your points even if every bike is faster 'round the course (which will happen, except *maybe* the Duc) by pointing out cornering speeds or the differential between straightaway speed and cornering speed.

A sidenote: If the torque doesn't really increase until the R1 gets to 6,000 rpm, then why aren't you riding with the engine speed above 6,000 rpm? Why ride the R1 like a twin?

Finally, you made the statement that the Buell is not the best handling streetbike out there. You've tested it against the R1 and the RC51, arguably two of the best handling bikes out on the market today. That begs the question: which bike on the market today is better handling than the Buell?

GSXR?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 04:22 AM   #77
seruzawa
The Toad

Thanks, but there's no sense in arguing with the dedicated HD haters. No matter what Buell or HD do there'll always be that hardcore of detractors. But it is fun to tweak them isn't it?
Old 05-31-2002, 04:33 AM   #78
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 11.86 is a very very slow 600

You need to understand that not everyone who thinks Harleys and Buells are nice things to have around are "Harley guys". But placing people in boxes and delusional categories probably makes life easier for minifascists like yourself.

Oh, by the way. if it wasn't for those crazy "Harley guys" like the ones who support ABATE and other organizations your ability to ride today would likely be very highly restricted if not severely limited. You need only look at what the Federal DOT under Carter had in mind to see what a near thing motorcycle bans were. Left to the squids there would be no political clout to defend our sport from the safety-nazis at all.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:53 AM   #79
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Lots of haters...

Different markets. The Ducati crowd will line up and buy their less-than-perfectly-reliable bikes no matter how much torture a ride on one may be. Doesn't sound any less of a cult thing than the Harley crowd, does it? Honda continues to sell the old low tech ancient pushrod 50cc engines to folks in Asia who are into the fuel economy thing. Jump on them too.

As far as Buell goes, if their new bike is capable of keeping up with the latest Japanese offerings like the RC51 as has been undeniably demonstrated here then what the heck difference does the level of tech of the powerplant make? By all means, buy the slower bike if you want to.

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Not a cent more. As long as people are willing to pay new bike prices for old Harleys then those bikes ARE worth it and are not overpriced. Deal with it.

Personally I've owned Harleys and have had no issue with reliability as long as you avoid most of the AMF bikes. But then I remember riding the British junk of the 60's. If you've never ridden old Britbikes ( or 70's Sportsters or a Puch or a Bultaco) then you probably have no idea of what an unreliable bike is. "BSAs are made of tin, ride them out and push them in."

Harley has been very smart at keepiing the prices of their bikes high, and if you think Honda or the rest wouldn't do the same thing if they could you are dreaming.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:02 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

The whining about how bad it is to have to modify a bike you just bought is ridiculous, When you modify a bike you make it yours.

The squids throw away the stock Japanese components and buy aftermarket stuff too. The nice thing about Sportsters (I had an '85 XLX with flowed heads and S&S Carbs and exhausts that would humiliate Japanese 750s at stoplight Grand Prix) is that the aftermarket is immense and much less expensive than upgrades for bikes like the GSX1100 (which I own) or the RC51. In fact I wouldn't even want to guess what the upgraded rear shock for the RC51 would cost.

The sportibike partisans spend loads of bucks on aftermarket stuff in an effort to improve their bikes. Why is that? From the chatter here I thought those bikes were all perfect.