Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2002, 10:07 AM   #41
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beemer?

Mea culpa againa. Check the R1150GS dyno curve from earlier this year. Same engine, no?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2002, 10:11 AM   #42
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

You're right, it is in the eye of the beholder. Next to the tight little Buell, in the MO cave, the SS looks kind of large and ungainly...
Old 05-30-2002, 10:12 AM   #43
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

Please, not again...
Old 05-30-2002, 10:17 AM   #44
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

Good point about the MO comparo trying to fairly analize the Buell; I think they did. When I called the press on their constant drivel, I wasn't referring to MO--at least this time. Concerning the bias part--we are all biased in some respects, aren't we? We all view the world in different ways. That's what makes this world such an interesting place--we all like different things. It sure would be boring if we were all the same-huh? Reminds me of the saying "most people would never believe this, but Michael Bolton actually sells some CD's."
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:17 AM   #45
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beef (read: Comparo?)

Ahem, BULL*****... started out to be a comparo until the Buell ran away from the SS, whereupon it was my attempt to make clear that the two bikes are in different performance leagues, far as the handling goes. No scoring system needed for this one. Track times? They're not track bikes.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:26 AM   #46
buella_1
Founding Member

yea, but the v-rod's not a race rep dragster or anything. Buell bikes add quite a bit more HP and compression then equivalent HD branded bikes' engines.

He was stating if Buell did the normal tweaks on a version of the V-Rod engine (this includes higher compression, lighter engine, etc.), then wild things could be happening.

buella_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:33 AM   #47
rags23
Registered Member

at >$9000, I would take a lot of better handling bikes than the Buell. Not to mention they are reliable as well unlike Buell's questionable reliability.

Yes, it might handle great, but is it worth spending that extra $$$ when you can get used F3/F4s for half the price which will run circles around the Buell?

-rags
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:57 AM   #48
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Not your Father's Buell but Harley needs to give Buell more

Great article! I agree with Burns on this one. Old Buells looked like they were built in Buell's garage but the Firebolt and Blast don't. If the Bolt had a better engine like Burns said the Ducati engine I would seriously look at it. I really want to love this bike but until Buell gets a better engine and proves it reliability I'll stick to the land of the rising Sun. For my money nothing beats a 600 Supersport from the big Four and the Truimph is coming close to being a equal. I wish Harley would get serious and would give Buell money and support to build a proper engine for its next generation Bikes. I was hoping the Buell would be an American 748 that could compete with the inline 4s

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:10 AM   #49
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

"Yes, it might handle great, but is it worth spending that extra $$$ when you can get used F3/F4s for half the price which will run circles around the Buell?"

Rags, in short...Yes, it is worth it. Again, the Buell and the Ducati are both relatively expensive compared to a used F3/F4. They would get whooped in a straight line. In terms of "running circles" around the Buell, when the road gets twisty I doubt the Buell would get left behind. If you buy sportbikes to go fast in a straight line then good for you. But I'd rather ride a V-Max to go drag racing.

I don't think that absolute dollar amounts are the real issue here. A lot of people want a unique machine that is FUN to ride thru the twisties. Personally, I find the inline 4-cylinder hum extremely boring. Not bashing them, just not my taste. A CBRGSXRZXYZF600 is just not as much fun to ride. I like the feeling of a twin and the torque that comes with it. And the Buell is indeed a tasty ride that you won't see parked in every Dairy Queen lot.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:18 AM   #50
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

heeeEEEEeeey! Now THERE's an IDEA!! NEGATIVE REVS!!! :P
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote