Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2002, 07:49 AM   #31
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Not only wouldn't the Vrod motor fit, it is also 30 lbs heavier. All the advantages the Firebolt has would disappear (lightness, agility, short wheelbase).
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2002, 08:18 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm sure they could come up with a smaller V-rod style engine which would fit. I doubt they will, but who knows? Try a 900cc V-rod style engine getting about 50% more power than the Sportster engine. That would cook! Honda couldn't stand the embarassment.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:18 AM   #33
flying_hun
Founding Member

Default Observation for Minime

In my regrettably yet justifiably brief auto racing experience, it was often the case that the set-up that seemed like it handled best did not yield good lap times. And that the set-up which provided the best lap times often felt as though it handled terribly. Maybe that's the case with the Buell - it works better than it feels.

Just a thought...
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:54 AM   #34
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Are you kidding? The RC51 engine makes 20 more Hp than the V-Rod!
Old 05-30-2002, 08:55 AM   #35
markszrz
Founding Member

I agree with you. This could the first really good bike (i.e. performance, long term reliability and finish) Buell has put out. However, I am afraid to throw down my hard earned cash until the bike has been around a couple of years. Until then, I'll keep riding my 2001 ZRX with now 5K trouble free miles.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:02 AM   #36
johnnyb
Founding Member

It was threatening to enema-ize the R1!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:03 AM   #37
johnnyb
Founding Member

We haven't GOT ONE YET...
Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 AM   #38
johnnyb
Founding Member

or, maybe the Ducati needs another 1000 rpm on the BOTTOM END?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #39
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the Beef (read: Comparo?)

I'm with you. After waiting 2 years+ for something on these types of bikes this is all I get? They spent what, a whole 2 paragraphs talking about the Ducati? What a bunch of crap! Normally I don't like to b!tch but I've been looking sooo forward to this comparo (I was actually hoping for a full-blown shootout that should have included the SV650) and I got a JohnnyB diatribe on the quirks and qualities of the XB with a token drag strip time thrown in just to make it look like they actually did something. Where is the scoring system? Where are the track times? Where is the article I'd been hoping for?

I honestly think I know more about the riding differences between the XB and the R1 than I do about the XB and 900SS.

I feel like they just threw this one together quick because enough people asked for it, but it's obvious to me that their hearts weren't in it and they really don't care about putting together a decent article on these lower volume, lower demand bikes.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:06 AM   #40
markszrz
Founding Member

Hey PsychoBueller,

I for one would love to see Buell kick *&^ with their bikes. Granted I don't own one ( I have a ZRX1200) but have ridden a couple of M2's and 1 Cyclone. Each guy loves his bike but admits that between the recalls and "problems" with the their bikes, Buell has a way to go. I for one hope they do bring in their quality (seems like they do a little better each year) and I too may be a Buell owner.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote