Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1252-buell-vs-ducati-900-supersport.html)

MrDeadeye 05-30-2002 03:22 AM

Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Why don't you call this "Ugly vs. Beautiful"? Every buell looks like something Mr. Buell made in his backyard. They are even more fugly if you examine them up close. On the other hand most Ducati have timeless, classic great looks (except Multistrada). Of course that's just my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the holder, blah, blah, blah.... Let's be politically correct and pretend looks don't matter so Buell riders don't feel like dorks.

DurangoKid 05-30-2002 03:33 AM

Where's the Beef (read: Comparo?)

Comparo? This article is no more a comparison between the Buell and the Ducati than it is a comparison between the Buell and the R1. This article is simply another write-up about the Buell that simply references other bikes to illustrate points being made about the Buell.

The most valuable point being made in the entire article is that you don't have to have the latest and the greatest open class four from Japan to have fun on a motorcycle.

Bandit_1 05-30-2002 04:39 AM

The XB9R may be a good bike...But $10,000!?!

Park it next to an R-1 or GSXR 1000 which can be had for close to the same price.

There is no comparison between the fit and finish level of these bikes, the Buell looks kinda cheap and unrefined.

Then there is the question of reliability....Buell has had some..um..issues with this in the past.

If Buell had priced the XB9R around $7,000,

it might be worth a look, (after all, Suzuki produces an aluminum framed V-twin with a much more modern engine design for $6,199...the SV650S), Why can't Buell?

PsychoBueller 05-30-2002 05:41 AM

Which part of the XB looks cheap & unrefined? Have you seen one close up, or are you basing your argument off of previous Buell models? The 900SS is an $11000 bike. Why is it not overpriced? Buells, like Ducatis and BMWs, cater to an audience that wants something different than the cookie-cutter Japanese bikes. Their customers pay premium prices for this. I venture to say that an R1 or Gixxer customer would never consider an XB9R or 900SS no matter what the price. And people who buy air-cooled v-twin sportbikes couldn't care less what the latest 1000cc superbike has to offer, no matter how cheap they are to buy. Two different customers and markets.

As far as reliability, only time will tell. But judging from the Blast's extremely low warranty claim rate (the Blast underwent the same tough tests the XB did) I expect good things.

PsychoBueller 05-30-2002 05:50 AM

So I guess that the British moto-press, who don't give a crap where their ad dollars (pounds?) come from. Oh, wait...they RAVED about the bike. We constantly pine away about how great the brit mags are, until they favorably review a bike we don't like, huh guys?

I have ridden the XB. How many of you have? Everyone that I have talked to who has ridden one, Buell owner or not, has walked away impressed.

I tend to think that a lot of folks want Buell to fail because they hate Harley-Davidson and everything they represent.

sportbike_pilot 05-30-2002 06:27 AM

Sounds like Buell has an interesting little bike on their hands. Good for them! It's hard not to root for those guys. They have crafted a motorcycle that is fun, seems to handle great and has a personality all it's own. Muy bueno! But like others who've posted comments concerning the sins of the fathers I am withholding judgement until we can learn more about the reliability of this platform. You are not going to spank other bikes in the twisties if your ride is in the shop on a repair stand.

I have a number of friends that own Harley's and Buells and none of them have managed to rack up the trouble free miles that I have on my Honda's and Yamaha's. That is a data sample of one, and I know that it's subjective, but one would have to be fairly oblivious to be unaware of the concerns about the reliablity of this particular lineage.

Cheers

So here's hoping that this bike turns out to be as good as it seems at first blush.

seruzawa 05-30-2002 06:59 AM

The fact that the Buell can run with the RC51 and the 1000 pretty much answers the question about its handling qualities regardless of the personal quirks of any one tester. All else is useless chatter. By all means ride the slower bike because it "feels better" but don't pretend you are more concerned with going fast than grinding an axe.

Good job Buell. Put in a V-rod style engine, tweak the bike a bit and then humiliate the competition.

buella_1 05-30-2002 07:14 AM

Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

yea, this is the same drivel reposted for attention's sake. I'm just glad that MO writer's are at least trying to assess the firebolt with an open mind. All this post does is attract & uncover all the Buell bashers that will hate anything buell no matter what they produce. But, maybe I'm just biased.

hawker 05-30-2002 07:28 AM

"Others, like the Firebolt, like the KTM Duke, like the old Honda Hawk GT, encourage you to flog the socks off them"

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen motojournalists define a bike by comparison to not one, but two bikes, each of them in totally different 'classes,' not only from the featured bike, but from each other as well. Congratulations in busting down the walls yet again.

Not only that, but the Duke (or an LC4 650 in Supermoto trim) and the old Hawk are my two fave bikes ever - I knew you guys were going to make me proud!

(now if only we could get that Supermoto Comparo going...)

Huss 05-30-2002 07:41 AM

Yer pays yer money...

I tend to agree. People complain that it costs too much, but few complain about the price of the 900ss, which has the same level of performance. The beautiful thing of this country is that we are free to make our own choices. Embrace this notion and buy whatever you like, not what others like.