Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-13-2002, 05:47 AM   #231
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Ah, "character and soul"...defined as those things that are not possessed by the "cookie-cutter" bikes. What does this mean? I have owned many bikes made by the big 4 over the years and they all possess different qualities, and none of them had a soul. I think it is incorrect to ascribe human characteristics to machines...hell, it is hard enough to do it to other animals (and some people). It makes it way too hard to be objective.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2002, 06:11 AM   #232
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Buell could take this XB engine to 110 rwhp easily just by adding bigger ported heads (or 4- valve technology), bigger jugs out to 3 13/16", and twin FI trumpets. I don't know if they could pass the emissions requirements with such an engine though. All of these parts are readily available in the aftermarket though.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:45 PM   #233
Xylene
Founding Member

Hail fellow Hawkster!

I also was wooed by Ms. Ducati but held firm to my wallet as she wiggled her desmo valve train in my face. The Italian sweeties I really lust for won't emmigrate (Cagiva Raptors). I've been told to keep my radar on alert for a possible Aprilia vtwin hottie, somewhat Falco-like, to visit US. She may sport 600 to 700 jugs, so you may have to keep your eyes peeled as well. If the SV650 had better legs, I would'a probably bought the ring. So in the end, I hooked up with the gal next door, the lovely little Hawk!

Ivy

Portland OR

'88 Hawk

PS, do you partake lister@hawkgt.com ?

Xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:48 PM   #234
Xylene
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the SV650?

What SV with upgrated suspenders? Fact or rumor? That would be a really hot bike with some inverted forks and such... Check out the project SV at www.motomorphic.com to see what I mean (it also has a single sided swingarm).

Xylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 10:59 AM   #235
mclearys
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the squids

* Bikes that are durable

>Durable implies either tried and true technology (read conservative/old) or overbuilt. I will be the first to commend the Japanese for the amazing things they make these motors do. But you squids keep wadding up your bikes due to operator error before the year is out so there are no metrics as to longevity.

mc- Last time I checked(being a "squid" and all, I went and took an MSF course, and they backed this tid-bit up, too) the largest group of riders "wadding" bikes are males 40-55, riding cruisers. Basically, all the born-agains aren't quite ready to be back in the saddle after 20+ years(40-55 males were 85% of my class). Quick fact I learned('cause I had dirt bike habits to break) is that front brakes, gosh, really do brake. Guess continous riding skill pratice is what EVERYONE needs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Bikes that use modern technology

>squids are deluded into thinking new is always better and that the cost premium is worth the benefits be they tangible or otherwise. Very similar to geeks chasing the latest and fastest CPU's for their computers and for what? Nothing more than bragging rights over penis size.

mc- To slam "squids" for wanting the best, look in the mirror. Last time I checked every aspect of our lives is pretty much gearing us up for the "bigger, better, fastest". Every car mag, FASTest. Every house mag, BIGest. Every lifestyle mag, BEST! Whoa, surprise!

A buddy of mine bought a 'Busa. "1300cc penis extension" was his reason. BUT, just take into account the next time that mid-life crisis down the street busts out his Ferrari/Porsche/Z06. He's not DRIVING it, he's using it to pick up twenty-somethings from the college bars in town. Where'd we get it from???

By the way, the V-Rod isn't that big of a jump in tech. Harley was gonna do it in the seventies(w/ Porsche), but AMF screwed up with the money, and the liquid-cooled Harley never made it till now. Read "Outlaw Machine", by Brock Yates for the low-down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Bikes from companies that put profits back into R&D

>Er, what company DOESN'T put profits back into R&D? Ah, all those cruisers from every manufacturer didn't change for YEARS and why? Because the consumer thought they were just fine as is. Cruisers are what keeps the US market on it's feet. You squids keep the sport bike numbers up higher than they would otherwise be due to high turnover due to waddage...

mc-Right, so the Japanese wanted market share and copied Harley and the consumer bought what it could get it's hands on when Harley started having a waiting list and it's dealers started raping the customer, er, excuse me "adjusting prices to reflect demand' is what you meant to say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both sides sell on IMAGE, CAPABILITIES, and the USE of the bike, period.

Here's something though... Ducati's been spanking Buell in their own Pro Thunder series. What's up with that?
mclearys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 11:10 AM   #236
mclearys
Founding Member

Default Re: new Firebolt owner experiences (1 week).

Bikes, new and old alike cry out:

"NO MORE BROWN FROWN!!!"

Highest octane, please...
mclearys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:00 AM   #237
jbbishop2
Registered Member

I just wondered if some of the perceived heavy-handling on the Buell was due to the perimeter front brake, with more gyroscopic inertia to overcome...maybe the brakes on/brakes off change in feeling also might come from the lever arm that the brake has at the outer edge of the wheel instead of through the axle as on a conventional disk set-up?

Just wondering, like I said...

jbbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #238
hungmiester
Registered Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

thanks for the skinny on the firebolt. it all sounded to good to be true. my girlfriend bought ans SV and is waiting for the break in to pass and we will begin the same mods that your frined did. i have always had an itching for a Mille R and found a couple for about $9500 w/ 4K on the speedo. i might just have to go and scoop one up. ride hard.

steve
hungmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #239
orangeokie
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

Your comments on the buell powerplant are well taken.

Why doesn't Buell have a section on their web site . . . like Ducati . . . (check this)

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe...nical&artID=26

which showcases their engine technology?

It is information like this that "sells" Ducati IMO. The Buell is a beautiful looking bike with great frame technology. I really like the maintenance-free belt . . . but I enjoy high technology when it comes to powerplants.
orangeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:47 PM   #240
rwhitt
Founding Member

Default Re: Wow, these posts are getting out of hand!

As to riding what you like one of the main problems is that alot of the big 4 and triumph dealers won't let you test ride a bike unless it is used or a demo so you can't really know which bike your going to like and some dealers only have one new model of each bike making it impossible to test drive for fear of putting mileage on a "new bike". Is it just me or are there others out there with the same problem. Might be good to get an informal poll as to how much problem getting a test drive on you favorite new bike is. That is why I will probably keep my 95 kaw GPZ another 10 years till I get to test drive something I like better.
rwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote