Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1252)

KPaulCook 06-09-2002 08:43 AM

Tell me more

Interesting facts about Triumph. Is it true they hired some engine engineers from several of the Formula 1 engineering firms in England? I love the Triumphs paint scheme (no racer boy graphics) and looks. I have never rode one but I have heard they have great suspensions. I have also heard that the Fuel Injection problems on the TT600 are a thing of the past. Perhaps when the Tiumph Daytona 600 see (motorcylenews.com) comes out I'll look at that.

KPaulCook 06-09-2002 08:51 AM

Re: Now I am really confused

You are a squid man so be proud! You are also a gutsy squid cause you pick the less traveled path of Triumph. Its ok to have split personalities. MyBrother-in-law likes both cruiser and sportbikes. He is a mechanic so he prefers the reliability of Honda (Mag and 900 RR). He used to have a Harley but.....

MuzzyMatt 06-09-2002 08:26 PM

Re: Corrected Grammar and Spelling Mr. Potato Patato Head. Can you handle the big wor

Wow. I never insulted or berated you or anything and you come back to insult me by questioning my knowlege of my profession? Methinks someone took it too personally...or maybe not(?)

My first comment about sportbikes and cruisers was more intended at KPaulCook or just whoever might feel the same way.

Webster's Dictionary definition 2-d of "Niche" is: a specialized market. The three manufacturers I listed surely qualify for that category. Boss Hoss makes bikes with Chevy V8s--Is that common to you? Confederate makes bikes that are sort of pre-tricked out with custom frams and stuff--How many do you see on the road? That Y2K turbine bike costs a quarter million--how many bikers have that in their piggy banks? What in the world makes you think any of these bikes are not specialty or niche market bikes? Triumph manufactures on an assembly line and makes thousands of bikes each year and none of the above do. Furthermore, Triumph makes many bikes for many different riders and solicits them to many different countries making them a mass market company.

Your claim that Aprilia and Honda have copied Ducati is shakey. Could they have mooched off of Ducati's research? Maybe, but unless you have evidence--the smoking gun if you will-- that Honda and Aprilia sat down in a board meeting and said "You know guys, that Ducati is nice. Let's do a twin for Superbike also" I won't be able to accept it. Tell me the credible source where you read or heard that, let me confirm it and I would side with you.

About your Superglide, if you love it go with it. Like I said, I was just offering my personal opinion on how I choose my bikes.

--Muzzy Matt

electraglider_1997 06-10-2002 06:37 AM

Here's where I'm coming from...

Electric motors develop full torque immediately which would give any vehicle an off the line advantage. Let's say you have 80+ ft-lbs of torque at your disposal and all you need is a way to transfer it to the pavement without shredding your tire when you crack the throttle. This is where a continuously variable speed transmission comes into play. OK, you've got the electric motor with 80 (or whatever amount) ft-lbs of torque, a small gas engine to help out once you are up to speed (and to charge the high tech battery pack) and the cv tranny to manage the 0-speed acceleration however you desire.

bfurman 06-10-2002 01:30 PM

Re: Here's where I'm coming from...

Yeah, this is something I'd really like to understand better:

To get down the freeway at a constant legal speed, we really only need 10 horsepower, give or take a few, to fight wind resistance, friction, etc. It's acceleration that really requires the transfer of power. The trouble is that engines are burning fuel all the time. It seems like there should be a way to store that energy and use it when it's needed - not when it's not needed.

Races, on the other hand, seem to be won by constant acceleration and deceleration with nothing in between. There's not much time off the throttle, but maybe even racers could benefit from regenerative braking.

electraglider_1997 06-11-2002 05:32 AM

bfurman

We are so used to filling up at the gas station that we take it for granted that this is just the way it is. Sure, my cash into the oil company's pocket. I want a bike that can go 1000+ miles without hitting the gas station and with only a 4 gallon tank. If the Honda Insight can get 70 mpg then a motorcycle should be able to get 200+ mpg. The oil companies may cringe but to hell with them.

wfowade 06-11-2002 06:15 AM

Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

The last article was posted on May the 29th. I need another fix! Two weeks is long enough. I mean you can go to the moon and back in that amount of time. What are you guys doing with your time? Give me some content!!!!

Huss 06-11-2002 07:27 AM

Didn't think it could happen..

Hey, I actually agree with you on this point! Hyundai did the same thing to bring back disillusioned customers and it turned them around. Even a 2 year warranty would speak volumes.

HardCharger 06-12-2002 05:20 AM

Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

I would very much like to own a FireBolt as I prefer tight turns over high-speed sweepers. And being a nearly maintenance free ride is an ultra bonus! I put allot of miles on two wheels I am concerned about the limited rev. potential though.

The power? I am willing to bet that someone is working on a Turbo kit!! ;-)

KPaulCook 06-12-2002 06:12 AM

OK now I am going to complain

Since May 29 MO has posted only one bike review. During the same period the free site http://www.motorcycledaily.com has posted:

4 bike reviews
[*]VStrom
[*]ST1300
[*]ZX-9
[*]GAS GAS

6 Racing updates/articles

4 News updates

All this including a death in the family.