Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-06-2002, 02:01 PM   #191
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Hello Does the Triumph TT600 ring a bell

The Triumph finished next to last as a privateer. The bike was basically a street bike and had been ridden three times. Take a gixxer or R6 like that out onto the AMA track and it would come in next to last, too. Harley spent a number of years and a lot of factory money doing poorly. The guys on the Triumph are essentially very good club racers doing what very good club racers do- race at the highest level they could on any given weekend.

As far as the quality if the bike, it is fine. Triumph has fixed the fuel injection, and now it is as good as my brother's '01 VFR. My TT600 has no fit problems that I am aware of. Nothing has come off of vibrated loose. I have run away from several more exaulted bikes, and I am hardly a fast, highly skilled rider. The TT600 is just a very good street sportbike, similar to the F4i. I even like the way it looks in person, but if you think it is ugly, I won't argue that it is quirky and could be considered ugly.

The current Triumph regime is inventing everything on the fly right now. The fact that a TT600 would rip the lungs out of a V-Rod is irrelevant because they are so different. Triumph is working on a monsterous cruiser that will probably also rip the lungs out of a V-Rod. They started from zero about ten years ago and have caught up in nearly all ways in that short time. I think it is pretty impressive, especially when you consider that they are still building a distribution network and don't have anything close to the funding that other manufacturers have. On top of that, they are developing a range of very different machines rather than the variations on a theme that Harley does. Triumph is not resting on "tradition" and hoping it is good enough. I really wish Harley would do the same. I would have seriously considered one if they were more up to date and were more reasonably priced.

I figure that I will buy a full dress Harley someday. When my knees can't handle 600 mile days on the TT600 anymore, I will trade it for a Sprint ST. When I am too old for that, then I will be ready for a full dress Harley touring bike. If I had the money to burn, I would buy the Harley now, because I really like them. I just like my TT600 better and own the bike that I would ride all the time instead of every now and then.

The V-Rod leaves me scratching my head- what do you do with it except park it in front of the coffee shop and lean on it? It looks like it would drag something almost immediately in a corner. The riding position looks like you would blow off the back if you got much above the speed limit in a school zone. What is it for, really? I will shut up now and wait for the reply.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2002, 02:20 PM   #192
Poser
Founding Member

Default Now I am really confused

Ok, I must be a squid because I like my sportbike. Except that it is a Triumph, which does not have the best stat sheet. I am also 42 and going bald, so I suppose I should be a Harley rider.

I will probably keep my TT600 for a very long time, and then buy whatever strikes my fancy then. Maybe it will be a big Harley. There is joy in touring the country slowly and comfortably, too.

Ok, so where do I fit, anyway? Squid on a sportbike, old guy, what? You are giving me a terrible identity crisis!
Old 06-06-2002, 02:33 PM   #193
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

I am really glad that Erik Buell exists. The world would be a poorer place without things like the XB9R stomping around. I like the way it looks and I love the kind of quirky thinking that results in a gasoline tank/ frame combination. I would not buy one for the same reason that I would not buy a Ducati. I don't really like twins for thrashing. They would be fine for long rides on the superslab, with the engine at low revs, but for winding out, triples and fours are more satisfying.

I have not ridden a Buell, but I have ridden a few Ducatis. The Ducati's brilliant chassis was let down (for me, anyway) by it's agricultural feeling drive train. I would expect the Buell to be similar.

I would like to see Harley Davidson venture beyond twins one day soon, but I certainly don't expect them to ever give up doing the things they do so well. They don't need to put a Harley Davidson badge on it as long as they have Buell as a brand for wild ideas and inventive engineering. If they let Buell do the same kind of quirky experiments with engines as they do with everything else, they would have something really interesting! Then maybe I would be convinced to by a Buell.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #194
Poser
Founding Member

Default KPaul learned HTML

KPaul seems to have learned how to make things bold fairly recently. Either that or he just had his first beer and needs to yell a little.

I don't see much reason that some kind of exotic fuel technology could not work. Race gasoline is very different from pump gas, and Indy cars don't use gasoline at all (or didn't the last time I was paying attention to that kind of thing.) The Firebolt is a fresh look at a bike's frame, weight distribution, and who knows what all else. I would not be surprised if Buell came up with some kind of completely outrageous engine one of these days.

I have a feeling that Erik Buell just hasn't gotten around to thinking about engines much yet. One of these days, he will be satisfied with the rest of the bike and turn his mind to motors. All bets are off when that happens.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #195
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Final thoughts from the resident Harley critic (squid)

Yes, Harley has the money and could buy the engineering. They also have shareholders. I don't think that Erik Buell has worried about the engine that much yet. He will, and things will happen.

Ducatis are way overpriced for what they are, too. A Ducati Monster 900 gets thrashed by an SV650. All BMWs are overpriced for their statistics. My Triumph doesn't quite measure up in the coffee shop Grand Prix, either. So it goes. I think you probably get more than just a bike to scoot around on and have fun with a Firebolt.

As far as your last point- since Harley shook off its AMF hangover, it has been pretty much immune to rough times. Who knows how long that will last, but it has lasted a long time now. I don't consider myself a boomer and I ride a sportbike now. I will consider an Electra Glide (there is NO Gold Wing in my future!) one of these days, though, so Harley's customer base probably will reload itself.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:08 PM   #196
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: KPaul learned HTML

Hey from day one I used HTML bud, I even know XML. Hybrid engines on a race bike? That is exotic tech that doesn't fit I think. Think of the batteries dude and the extra motor. On the other hand Indy cars do use alcohol and [b]darn it and why doesn't this country use more of it. we have the most efficient farmers in the world etc[b] But I am not a chemical engineer (electrical/computer) so I don't why but it could be politics (Burns is the expert there ) So I think your gas idea is cool. But the hybrid thing is more appropriate for econoboxs, buses, and the like. Drive a hybrid and see if you don't agree with me. For bikes gas is king. Too bad two stokes are so dirty cause they are pound for pound very powerful as proven by the MotoGP two stoke bikes.

You are probably right about Erik Buell and he will fix the engine problem. Us young imature squids are impatient you know.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:10 PM   #197
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: KPaul learned HTML

Sorry I screwed up my tags /b
Old 06-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #198
KPaulCook
Banned

Good points.

Of course I have a few counterpoints :

Isn't the Ducati Monster kind of a new-wave euro cruiser/standard? Meaning who cares how fast it goes it looks cool. Isn't the 748 is a better comparo for the SV650S?

BMWs are pricey but don't they last forever?

Truimph has guts (maybe their financially stupid but) so I love em for trying.

Dude you can't mean the Electra Glide thing that must be your wife talking about needing a minivan.

As a stockholder I hope you are right but I think they need to start to focus on non cruisers cause I think the cruiser market will top off.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:21 PM   #199
KPaulCook
Banned

Good points.

Of course I have a few counterpoints :

Isn't the Ducati Monster kind of a new-wave euro cruiser/standard? Meaning who cares how fast it goes it looks cool. Isn't the 748 is a better comparo for the SV650S?

BMWs are pricey but don't they last forever?

Truimph has guts (maybe their financially stupid but) so I love em for trying.

Dude you can't mean the Electra Glide thing that must be your wife talking about needing a minivan.

As a stockholder I hope you are right but I think they need to start to focus on non cruisers cause I think the cruiser market will top off.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #200
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

For those that are all hung up in lap times, lemme tell ya, they are highly overated. I find that those mentioning lap times the most are either bonafide roadracers or street squid wannabees. Most that are obessed with lap times should be at a good track school learning how to REALLY RIDE.

For those that are mature riders and enjoy street riding, fun is the name of the game. Why the hell else would someome be so idiotic to put their life on the line when so many other hobbies actually make sense? Would I trade for any other hobby on planet earth. Not a chance!

I gave up the hypersports bikes (especially after I quit racing) for a '98VFR800 & a '00 SV650. Never had more fun in my life. Wouldn't trade 'em straight up for a GSXR1000 & a Duc 998R. Dunno, maybe ya have to get old to understand what fun, without the bravado of false competitiveness, really is. Give me the laughs under the faceshield everytime. Priorities, dontcha know?

With all of that in mind, the Buell sounds like a blast. If I got a chance to ride one, I don't know what I'd think, but I'm fickle and if it produced enough grins, I'd be a convert in a heartbeat.

More than anything, enjoy the ride. Cheers, ILAKSMU (All-Knowing Soothsayer of the Motorcycle Universe) aka Jack

"Motorcycling isn't simply a way of life, it's more important than that."
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote