Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-05-2002, 06:54 PM   #181
bfurman
Founding Member

Default Re: Final thoughts from the resident Harley critic (squid)

Dude, what do you expect? Really? Where is Erik gonna get the engine you think he needs to use? Do you think his head is stuck so far up his back side that he has never even ridden a Japanese 4-cylinder sportbike? Give us a break!

People can have fun with a lot less than 76 rear-wheel hp. You've got it right that the Suzuki has that nailed. Even my Hawk GT has a high fun quotient with its "pathetic" 40 horses. So if some guy wants to spend ten large on a gorgeous bike with limited (read: zero) racing potential and HAVE FUN on the street, then so be it. Live and let live.

But please answer my question: where is Erik Buell going to get another engine? His company is now owned outright by Hardly-Ableson. Are they going to pay Rotax to do their R&D? How about KTM? Husaberg? We ALL know that those companies could design a lightweight liter-class V-twin making something in excess of 120 hp. What would the Firebolt cost then with such an engine?

I agree that it seems silly to hot up an old pushrod engine when you could simply shoehorn in a modern power plant. It's not like nobody knows what an overhead cam is or how to cram fuel mixtures through four valves. Nevertheless, some people LIKE old engine designs and all of their character. I'm sorry that Buell doesn't offer something for everyone else. In time, maybe they will. But it won't make the Firebolt one whit less fun.

I think most of us here can see past the Buell add hype about "revolution," etc., etc. Please give it a rest.
bfurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2002, 07:08 PM   #182
bfurman
Founding Member

Default Re: Hawk GT

Hawkers Unite!

Seriously, I'm sure you must have visited/registered at www.hawkgt.com by now. They're a fun group, although I don't keep up with the list much anymore. The Hawk GT is a really neat motorcycle. If I end up getting the Buell, I've agreed with my wife to let go of the Hawk. That makes it a really tough decision! I expect the Buell's engine to shake a bit more, and it does have a low redline even compared to our Hawks!

Hawks are bulletproof, but parts can be found easily enough if you ever need them. Here's to many years of riding enjoyment.

Cheers! - Ben Furman
bfurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:38 PM   #183
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Final thoughts from the resident Harley critic (squid)

[*]"But please answer my question: where is Erik Buell going to get another engine?"

Harley builds it but could be designed elsewhere (Porsche ?? like VRod). However, the Vrod engine is two heavy. Look Harley has the money. Why not strive for excellence ? Is that something they strive for at the University of Michigan? Or was the quality thing a passing fad brought on by the Japan Auto scare but now its business as usual at Detroit and Milwaukee

[*] For $10,000 we except more than just a bike to scoot around and have fun like a Honda Hawk[*]

Sounds like you are making execuses for poor/lazy engineering and lack of long term vision by American companes. Hey the boomers are getting older and us younger guys aren't into cruisers so Harley better wake up. The current Buell is destined to be a niche player. Don't think Harley is immune to rough times.

No rest for me.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:24 AM   #184
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: new Firebolt owner experiences (1 week).

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I'm 6' 1/2" and 200# and the XB9R seems it might be too small. Am I wrong?
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:46 AM   #185
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default High vs Low Tech

All iterations of the internal combustion engine are low tech by design. Some create more hp and tq than others but all are dirty and have limited lives. Until power can be supplied by a new and thereby higher technology it makes little sense (at least to me) to say push rod motors are somehow low tech and 4 valvers high tech. Lock yourself in an enclose space and run any modern day motor that burns gas and it will kill you.

Now is the time for a hybrid power plant like they are starting to put into cars. You could mate a relatively small (light) cc engine with an electric motor and then you'd have instant torque from the electric motor and the gas motor could supply power for the bike and electrical charging for the battery. I know that it still would have the gas burner but it would be an honest evolution to something even better in the near future (whatever that might be).
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:21 AM   #186
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: High vs Low Tech

Your point is totally irrelevant here. We are talking about a engine for a sport bike. Yes hybrid vehicles are great but I doubt if we will ever see a hybrid in a super bike race. Once again you are making excuses again for Harley. Your logic is since all current engines for motorcycles are non hybrid thus low tech it doesn’t matter that Harley makes an inferior engine compared with other makers. Hybrid vehicles have shortcomings and don’t work well in every application thus your point is inappropriate, extraneous, irrelevant, etc. to sport bikes.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:11 AM   #187
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: High vs Low Tech

Please look past problems in presentation to the content as I am a lowly engineer (B.S. E.E.) and I am no match for such a person like you Rod. You lawyers are really sharp. Please help guide me to your level.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:40 AM   #188
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Your grammar has some problems Mr Potato Potato Head

Your sentence "We squids, not "us squids". Before you and the other squids arrive in town, try to stop off at school" Is fragmented according my grammar checker he he .

And how about this one from you pal

"Quantity does not equal quantity." good one what J.C. did you go to.

Old 06-06-2002, 02:21 PM   #189
Poser
Founding Member

Default S4 Supply

Not too many people have gotten their hands on Speed Fours yet. That was one of the few things that was really fouled up by the Triumph factory fire. The dealer up here got one, and it was gone in about a half day (I am not exaggerating.) The same dealer also sells Buells. Hmmm... I wonder if I could pretend to be a journalist and... Oh well, they already know me.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #190
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Not your Father's Buell but Harley needs to give Buell more

Surprise- the Triumph is the big four's equal just about anywhere but a racetrack. Even there it is close. Triumph grew giant brass balls when they built a four cylinder 600. OK, they are not publicly traded, so they don't have shareholders to make happy, but they don't have a huge war chest and their current engineering department is only about ten years old.

Harley/ Buell could be right there, too if they weren't so stuck on "tradition." Sorry guys, tradition will never sell me a bike. I bought a Triumph, not because of tradition, but because it is a good machine. Harley could even build a competent inline four if they wanted to.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote