Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-03-2002, 04:17 PM   #151
bfurman
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Okay, Burnsie -

MO has you to thank for my subscription fee. Your article was exactly what I have been waiting to read. As an owner of a Honda Hawk GT - my one and only bike - I've been watching a long time for something with similar build quality and sheer fun factor. I was thinking Italian thoughts until this year... Since Honda has repeatedly failed to release a lighter, lower-powered version of its VTR1000, and Suzuki has failed to woo me with its SV650, I thought an alternative would never come along. No doubt the Suzuki offers better bang for the buck than any "exotic," but much of what I love about mt Hawk is its quirkiness and character. It's the fun little surprises that keep a bike entertaining through the years. Of course, the Hawk is also as reliable as a rock. Will the Buell be?
bfurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2002, 04:40 PM   #152
KPaulCook
Banned

No where did you get that I hate Harley. I just wish they would put some of those outrageous profits Mr Buells way. The money they make selling those 1950s (sportser) OK OK 1970s OK OK 1980s bikes makes me think that Willie G and the others that run the place are packing all the money in Swiss Bank accounts and will do an Enron thing. I know I know the VRod thing. I guess one new engine every twenty years is all we can expect.

No seriously, how is a pushrod 1000cc engine that puts out less than 80 horses considered anything but low tech. Come on guys really.

[*] The little SV650 from Suzuki puts about 65 horses and 42.6 ftlbs of torque.

[*] But hey lets compare on the basis of cc and engine configuration (twins).
[*]Ok the Ducati 996 puts out 109 hp and 70 ft lbs.[*] And the Honda RC51 puts out 118 hp and 72.1.
[*]The Buell Firebolt according to Motorcyclist puts out 76 hp and 60 ft-lbs.

Hey I love the looks but the motor sucks and the tranny is probably Sportster like so it sucks too. Of course my ZX-6R has the tranny folks use as a bench mark so I am spoiled but hey for 8000 bucks what can you expect ooops the Buell costs 10000. 2000 more than my Ninja. But its worth it right for that HD character OK fellas go spend your money.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #153
rmiller
Founding Member

Default Re: Brave New World?

The day after my post I recieved Motorcyclist (or was it Sport Rider?) in the mail with a full article on the LC8 including the engine dimension compo you wrote of. That engine is, well, *****en. I only hope they can mate it to a lightweight chassis. Near as I can tell, 123 lbs is right around (if not lighter than) the weight of the Japanese 600 mills, so you can imagine what fun could be had. If they build a true supermotard, its my next bike, no question.
rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 07:55 PM   #154
KPaulCook
Banned

Default More real numbers to ponder for the Harley boys.

How is a air cooled pushrod 1000cc engine that puts out less than 80 horses considered to be anything but low tech. Come on guys really.

The little SV650 from Suzuki puts about 65 horses and 42.6 ftlbs of torque.

But hey lets compare on the basis of cc and engine configuration (twins) shall we..

Ok the Ducati 996 puts out 109 hp and 70 ft lbs.

And the Honda RC51 puts out 118 hp and 72.1.

The Buell Firebolt according to Motorcyclist puts out 76 hp and 60 ft-lbs.

Hey I love the looks but the motor sucks and the tranny is probably Sportster like so it sucks too. Of course my ZX-6R has the tranny folks use as a bench mark so I am spoiled but hey for 8000 bucks what can you expect ooops the Buell costs 10000. 2000 more than my Ninja. But its worth it right for that HD/Buell character OK fellas go spend your money. Come on Harley give Mr. Buell a blank check to go buy a engine from Suzuki like the TL1000 or Honda (Super hawk maybe). It would complete the package. Right now the Firebolt is beautiful machine without a soul (make that a new soul).

Old 06-03-2002, 08:01 PM   #155
KPaulCook
Banned

The Japan bike makers just made so many more that is all. Your logic escapes me.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:13 PM   #156
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Yer pays yer money...

Yep ya boys keep buying those overpriced "new" antiques from Harley ya hear. Cause see I'm H-D stockholder and I need to buy me another modern sport bike from those wizards from the land of the rising sun with my H-D dividend check. Its amazing that what those wizards can do. You want a V-Twin 1000cc that will beat a Ducati Mr. Honda can give you a RC51 for what Mr Buell wants for that sooped new Sportster Firebolt. That RC51 will go under 10.5 in the quarter mile and will carve a nice turn. Just ask that young fella Hayden.

Old 06-03-2002, 08:27 PM   #157
KPaulCook
Banned

Yep ya boys keep buying those overpriced "new" antiques from Harley ya hear. Cause see I'm H-D stockholder and I need to buy me another modern sport bike from those wizards from the land of the rising sun with my H-D dividend check. Its amazing that what those wizards can do. You want a V-Twin 1000cc that will beat a Ducati Mr. Honda can give you a RC51 for what Mr Buell wants for that sooped new Sportster Firebolt. That RC51 will go under 10.5 in the quarter mile and will carve a nice turn. Just ask that young fella Hayden.

By way we prefer ya don't use that short version of Japanese.

By the way my 2001 Ninja is a good girl and has given me 6000 miles so far no problems. I ride in the rain in Seattle and she takes me on long trips on the weekends. Now my wife wants her uh it and I going to get me a new Inteceptor with your money er I mean the dividend check. See ya in my mirrors.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:13 AM   #158
buella_1
Founding Member

Default new Firebolt owner experiences (1 week).

I got my xb9r blue Firebolt in hand last week and have 50 miles left before my 500 mile check-up/oil change. I'm taking it in the first time and will do the oil changes for the rest.

Anyway, I've ridden my firebolt everyday so far and can't get enough. I'm not a seasoned sportbike veteran so can't really give you all any usable data. A few days ago I thought I was starting to get light pinging or tapping but after talking to my HD/Buell mechanic, was assured that it is normal with pushrod engines and that with the new DDFI system, that it adjusts the fuel so the engine won't ping.

This is my first buell and there's a riding group (all sportbikes) here in OKC that's going down to dallas sunday and I'm thinking about going.

The only thing you really have to manage on this is re-fuel stops. Right now I get 100 miles before my low fuel light comes on. It has a digital read-out that starts counting when the light comes on. Pretty handy. The light is supposed to come on with .7 gallons of gas left (out of 3.7 total) but my refueling has been at most 2.8 after 7 or so miles riding on low.

The exhaust system keeps it pretty civilized for Harley/Buell standards which is fine with me for now. I imagine you can get quite a few ponies just opening it up with an after-market slip-on.

I rode with some friends (one gsxr 600 telefonica, one cbr954rr) and didn't have a problem keepin' even with the gixxer 600. The 954 could obviously beat us on straights. There were 2 'less than' 1/4 miles runs from stop lights where we both slowed down 'bout even. These weren't serious drags where you pop the clutch or anything. Both times I had second-gear wheelies just from runnin' it open. I wasn't trying to do wheelies or anything, but it sure left a big grin on my face each time. Now if there were more twisty roads in Oklahoma so I can let this bike go I could really be grinnin' now. Anyone with info on this, feel free to enlighten me. Until then, I'm left to keep the f-bolt calm until I take her on her first trip out-of-state.

Just thought I'd give you all my first week impressions. So far it's all grins.
buella_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:16 AM   #159
ErricZ
Registered Member

All I have to say is that this is a Buell comparo, granted that money makes pockets sway, but I think it was honest. If you read parts 1 and 2 of the Buell reviews, it took time to grow on everyone.

Oh yeah, and for all you guys, Harley sells more image than bikes. Read that again: More money from accessories and clothing than from the bikes themselves. Gotta love it. Hail to the Mother Company.

(I think KPaulCook is really named Cecil!)
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:19 AM   #160
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Yer pays yer money...

I don't think you get it. I already have an arsenal of bikes, from a 2002 Goldwing to a ZX12r with Muzzy titanium Yoshi EMS etc. I have not owned anything from Harley. This is new Buell is something that really caught my eye with its unique features. Of course I'm going to wait a while to see how the reliability thing pans out. I think that you have lost sight of the reason you SHOULD be riding. It's about how it makes you feel, the pleasure it gives you. Unfortunately it seems that all you like to do is read and quote specs. If that is the case you will never be happy, as there will always be a new bike round the corner that will be the latest and greatest. If what makes you happy is peer acceptance within your little circle of buddies then good for you. I just happen to love riding all sorts of bikes and I don't care who makes them. I'm 34 and you suddenly made me feel old, but in a good way! I hope you ride long enough to finally grow up, and in the mean time don't hurt yourself.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote