Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-01-2002, 11:53 AM   #131
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Defending the squids

Hey I don't hate the Grey Pony Tail Brotherhood but they can't live forever. Soon Harley will run out of folks to sell overpriced antiques to. Time for Harley to put some of those outrageous profits back into R&D and give Mr Buell a blank check for an engine. Oh by the way I am a Harley stockholder by the way. I believe they do know how to market things. However, I am starting to worry about the long-term health of my investment though and the P/E ratio is getting a little high.
[*]http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=HDI.

This is why I am hard on Harley not cause I hate Harley folks (is that enough bold print for ya
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2002, 02:53 PM   #132
maliblu65
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Heaven forbid an American manufacture build a sport bike that can be considered a peer to German, Itilian and Japanese products.

I like my American made sport bike.
maliblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:50 PM   #133
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Brave New World?

I eagerly await the KTM LC8!!! If they get it right that bike is going to eat alive almost everything on the road, or off. Picture a Super Motard with a teeny tiny v-2 1000? I think it was MCN showed the comparison in size between the superhawk, TL1000 and the new LC8 motor. The LC8 is almost half the size of the superhawks plant and a good amount smaller than the TL. It may turn out to be ugly, but it should really rip...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:53 PM   #134
KPaulCook
Banned

Default There's a new girl in town Mr Buell and she speaks the Queen's English

New Triumph Daytona 600 breaks cover

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/

Looks cool. Can't wait to try one.

With Triumph’s excellent chasis work and a new motor with the fuel injection sorted out she should smoke Miss Firebolt. Leave it to those Sportbike crazy Brits to make a serious challenge to the bikes from Japan. My grandfather would be proud.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #135
Eric
Founding Member

You're right. He thought the pegs were a little high.

The point on Kawi and Suz joining forces at all was the need for cost-saving in some areas. Cruisers are much higher margin vehicles than sport bikes and require less investment too develop. What do you think they would rather sell more of? This is the same reason car makers are selling as many SUVs as they can; they represent a much higher profit margin.

I agree that if bang for the buck is all you are interested in, the Mean Streak is the better buy. If you were to offer me the keys to one or the other, I would take the V-Rod, but then I really don't like riding cruisers (both my Harleys were tourers). Motorcycles have never really been about bang for the buck for me -- it that were the case I would be riding a 10 - 20 year old standard, probably an old Honda Nighthawk. Who needs a modern 600, or a 140+ HP superbike? My bike is far more than I need, but it does provide a lot of fun. I'll pay a few thousand extra for something that I will enjoy more -- even if others wouldn't buy the same thing.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:14 PM   #136
JoeBlade
Founding Member

I want to hear more about the Buell. I love rooting for the underdog. Keep it around, and make a project bike of it. I read somewhere that harley's racers already have a 110hp version for the track.

Find a way to get 100HP out of and work on the handling. Let us know what you find out. If nothing else, this bike polarizes the community and should make for interesting reading.

Run it with the 600s when you do a comparo, didn't it match the CBR 600GF4 lap times in the latest Cycle World handling test? If you can run 1000cc water cooled twins in with 750 4s in superbike, then a 1000CC AirCooled twin seems fair with the 600s!

PS - I like the way it looks; and I seriously hope Harley gives Mr. Buell a new engine to work with someday. Even a standard styled FZ1 type bike with the VROD motor transplanted would be interesting.

JoeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:02 AM   #137
pattonme
Founding Member

> Squids like me like:

> * Bikes that use modern technology

squids are deluded into thinking new is always better and that the cost premium is worth the benefits be they tangible or otherwise. Very similar to geeks chasing the latest and fastest CPU's for their computers and for what? Nothing more than bragging rights over penis size.

> * Bikes that are durable

Durable implies either tried and true technology (read conservative/old) or overbuilt. I will be the first to commend the Japanese for the amazing things they make these motors do. But you squids keep wadding up your bikes due to operator error before the year is out so there are no metrics as to longevity.

> * We want to get the most performance for our > money

Performance you can't use on the street without violating traffic laws left, right and center. And given the waddage rate, the laws of physics as well. This is pure pose value. How juvenile.

> * Bikes and Bike makers that prove

> themselves every Sunday on the racetrack

Like you race? I was at FUSA Summit Point and while the Buell didn't take a podium in the sprints it was utterly stock running on 208GP's. And it was giving the other I4's a good close race with a heavy (240+lb) pilot. In the 2hr endurance race it finished 2nd as I recall.

> * Bikes from companies that put profits back > into R&D

Er, what company DOESN'T put profits back into R&D? Ah, all those cruisers from every manufacturer didn't change for YEARS and why? Because the consumer thought they were just fine as is. Cruisers are what keeps the US market on it's feet. You squids keep the sport bike numbers up higher than they would otherwise be due to high turnover due to waddage.

I'm quite sure HD/Buell doesn't give a rat's ass about any of you who think owning a GSXR is the one true religion. They are I'm sure vastly more interested in the guys who ride sporty standards, the ZX-6 or the YZF-6R, or CBR-F2 and similar. Adults in other words, instead of overgrown teenagers who need to take some estrogen.

Just as there are many people in the squid market who would die rather than buy US or UK let alone a bike that wasn't (in the collective stupidity/juvenilism of motor journo's with pretensions of going fast) the ultimate go-fast rocket, there are a whole lot more that would rather die than buy Japanese.

I can only dream of owning a firebolt one day given it's current price. Till then I will give Buell 3-cheers for saying "up yours" to the likes of you.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:43 AM   #138
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Corrected Grammar and Spelling Mr. Potato Patato Head. Can you handle the big wor

Maybe you missed a few points, so I will review:

1. Cruisers outsell sportbikes 3 to 1 and more for every mfg. Without a cruiser lineup, most wouldn't even THINK of making sportbikes and changing them every 2 years. Think of those old graying morons as financing your habit.

2. Triumph doesn't have "guts" as you say. They figured out where they can compete and found that "niche". They can't make cruisers like Harley and can't beat the Japanese at price vs. performance. So they stay in the middle. Doesn't take "guts", but it does take market evaluation. By the way, which Triumph bike is their best seller far and away? Hint, it isn't the 600.

3. You seem to be very impressed with Aprilia's superbike effort. They studied and copied Ducati very closely and basically copied 15 years of superbike knowledge in 2. They could do that as another Italian company, where Harley would be accused, as Honda is, of copying Ducati. Impressive would be to come up with a non-proven engine design and win with that. Without Ducati there is no Aprilia superbike. Now, lets go to the price vs. performance. Which Aprilia bike has more performance for a lower price than a comparable Japanese sportbike? Zero, none, zilch, nada. They all are more expensive, less reliable, and higher priced. Sound like your accusations against Buell? You betcha! See how fickle facts can be? You while and cry that Buell just is too overpriced and slower that the Japanese, but all your other favorite mfgs. can also be shown to be the same in comparason. You are a facts and fugures guy and somehow you never came up with any to prove any of your points.

4. Another fact. I have restored more than a few bikes in my day and owned 35 different bikes. I currently own 4 including a 2000 Kaw ZX9. I have restored a 1972 Triumph Bonneville, 1972 Norton Commando, 1975 Harley Sportster, and I currently own a 1976 Harley Superglide. The Superglide is in near mint, stock condition and rebult by myself. The bike sold new for 3,500 dollars new, and the current market price is about 9 to 10 thousand. That would be close to triple the original value. So I guess for that "last laugh" thing, I guess that might be on YOU.

In conclusion, I, Mr. Tater Squared, have easily shown you to be someone that talks lots and says little. If you really want to prove the Buell inferior, go buy one and ride it for 20,000 miles and then talk from EXPERIENCE. Since I have owned and ridden Harleys, Hondas, Kaws, Suzukis, Yams, Nortons, BMWS, and Triumphs, I would say I have a little more knowledge of which I speak. I have never owned a Buell but I think it's a cool niche bike for someone wanting something different. It's not a price/performance leader, but not a copy of someone else's design either. When you grow up and buy a motorcycle of your very own, try to RIDE it and not READ ABOUT IT.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:55 AM   #139
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I owned a 1997 Suzuki TL 1000S. It was recalled twice. Once for a damper and once for a leaky tank which I had to have fixed twice. It also broke the frame twice under warranty in under 10,000 miles. That was the "bike of the year" too. Fancy that eh? Honda's "new" Goldwing has been recalled offically 3 times and still has an overheating problem that Honda will not address. Ever hear of those problems? Suzuki cam tensioners destroying Hayabusas and 750's repeatedly and 2 different recalls on that one. Any reports on Powersports.com on those? Triumph EFI going bad is legendary. MO had theirs go bad in the last test as well as other mags testing them. The new Triumphs in general have had HORRID reliability problems. Maybe you just have your head in your A$$ when it comes to "other" mfgs. problems. Name a mfg. and I can come up with recalls and problems they have had. Do Buells have problems? I'm sure and at least they take care of them where other mfgs. basically don't.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:59 AM   #140
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: I rode one

You never rode anything. You are a 15 year old wannabe that talks $hit and can't back it up. Buells at anything over idle dont' shake because they are rubber mounted. You are just repeating what you hear. Sorry to call you a liar, but that is exactly what you are.