Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-01-2002, 04:16 AM   #121
sculptor666
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

I couldn't agree more... and you spelled drivel correctly.
sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2002, 04:22 AM   #122
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

Right on Bro! And if I won the lottery I would buy a KTM Duke, a Buell XB9R, a Ducati ST4s, a V-Rod, an RC51, the 50cc Aprilia and God knows what else to go with my DR350SET and R1100SBX. Singles and Big Twins forever!

Hey Burnsie! How about a test of the KTM Duke vs. the XB9R, SV650s, BMW, V-Rod etc. on the tightest, twistiest, hillyest roads in the country or the world, not just So. Cal., eh? Some of us don't live there anymore. Oh and let the criteria be which bike leaves you smiling and coming back for more, not drag times, dyno-info, etc. - In search of the most fun bike in the world. The title could be "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been".
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:50 AM   #123
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

Come on go check sites like Powersports.com where Buell owners post stories of all the problems they have had. Even Motorcyclist had a Buell that shook itself to death. Long ride I think you are Harley/Buell plant or employee. If Harley/Buell were foreign makers no one would buy there antique lemons here.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:55 AM   #124
wwjdwithca
Founding Member

First off, I am Ducatist. The bikes look and handle awesome and sound great. Don't park your Gixxer next to my Duc if you want people to notice it...cause they won't!

So, if the winner of this contest is the one that will draw more attention then.......it's over.

BUT!!! If actually riding in the backroads is what you like.........How cool is it that a 76 HP twin out-dukes a 140 HP open bike! This is a great story. Forget 1/4 mile times. All sport bike riders know that when you go out to ride you go to to the twisties, not the straights.

I (personally) don't feel comfortable riding any bike flat-out. It's this silly "fear of death" thing I have. But if I was, thumping all those boys on their Gixxers on the Angeles Crest sure would be fun on American metal!

However, I belive to get riders really excited, the bike does need more power. They don't want to be workin' their tail off to get blown away the first time a decent straight comes into play. 110 HP would do Eric. Something like the Falco engine. Maybe look Rotax up, and see if they can make some improvements to yee ole sportster.
wwjdwithca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 06:37 AM   #125
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Defending the squids

Squids like me like:
[*]Bikes that use modern technology
[*]Bikes that are durable
[*]We want to get the most performance for our money
[*]Bikes and Bike makers that prove themselves every Sunday on the racetrack
[*]Bikes from companies that put profits back into R&D

It is this sport bike market squid that Buell/Harley will have to convince to buy its new Firebolt. Motorcyclist editor Mitch Boehm has a excellent analysis of the situation in his Lean Angle column in the July issue. Given that, Buell/Harley must prepared to stand up to the scrutiny from the squids otherwise don't call yourself a sportbike and don't take it personal when folks point out a poor price/performance ratio. Don't call us Harley haters or say we have something personal against Erik Buell when are concerned about reliability. I admire the guy. If Buell/Harley can't convince some percentage of squids then its days are numbered. Cause being a niche player is something it can't afford in a future of graying baby boomers (Harley's brotherhood customer base)

I am proud to be a squid. Long live the competition in the market place that gives us new bikes every 2 years.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:42 AM   #126
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending the squids

Hey, thanks for all the bold print...I don't think I would have noted your long patheic diatribe if it was in ordinary typeface. Your belated attempt at self defense from all the "greying baby boomers" you proclaim to hate so much is pretty sad...you seem to be unable to state your dislike for Harely-Davidson without bashing the people that enjoy them.

Post your opinion, fine, but really, get out more. One time my 1972 CB500 broke down. It was my first bike, in 2000. As I got off and took off my helmet, I flagged down a rider coming around a corner on a huge Ultra Glide Classic, and he pulled over to help me. His first words were, "will it run?" and when I told him it was trashed, he said "Jump on, I'll take you wherever you need to go."

I won't allow people to make generalizations on Harley riders since that happened. That guy didn't care where I was or what I rode...I rode, and that's what mattered.

I don't have a Harley, but I do prefer air cooled engines and lightbikes, just like Mr. Buell. Right now I ride Ducati, and I don't see myself ever buying any bike from the 916 engine series. I like the air cooled Pantah mills and they way the run. Nice and smooth curves, no glitches, just turn the throttle and scenery goes backwards faster with no histrionics at all.

Now STFU and go ride.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 07:45 AM   #127
Eric
Founding Member

KPaul,

Why do you hate Harley so much? Did a Harley engineer come to your house, beat you, seduce your wife and make fun of your dog?

Look at the number of people buying metric and Euro cruisers -- it's not just a Harley thing. In the US, the big 4 Japanese brands sell more cruisers than sport bikes. As for reliability, Harleys do just fine. I have had 2; neither had major problems. And the technology is decidedly not '50s. No, an air-cooled push rod engine is not as powerful up top as an inline 4. But it does its job well and can be easily -- and inexpensively -- modified to make a hell of a lot more power. What Harley has done with the constraints they place on themselves is impressive. The modern twin cam is a very nice engine for teh purpose it serves.

Various manufacturers were producing liquid cooled, DOHC engines in the '20s -- does that make any modern DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder engine old tech?

I respect many motorcycles from many brands. But I don't understand the contention that compete with another brand, you have two build a motorcycle with the exact same engine configuration/displacement/ergos. We certainly don't expect automobile manufacturers to do that. The Buell XB9r is not an inline 4 supersport bike. But it is a great deal of fun and works in the real world. As a track bike, I'm sure it won't hit on top like a 600cc sport bike. I bet it can hold its own on something like the streets of willow, however. Do I care if it beats the Japanese brands? No. I don't intend to race them. I spend the vast majority of time on the street, and I even (gasp) use my bike for commutes and other useful tasks.

You seem personally offended that anyone could like the XB. It may not be what you want. Don't buy it. Some of us like something a little different. Of the different bikes I test rode before I bought my M2 (a Duc ST2, Triumph Sprint ST), the Buell was by far the most fun. I wanted to test ride a few Japanese bikes, but no dealer would let me.

I would like to see the Buell have a little more power. Do I need it? No. I have little trouble keeping up with much more powerful sportbikes on local curvy roads. Not because my bike is superior, nor because I am that great a rider, but because in the real world sane people keep it at a reasonable clip. I have fun, the bikes I follow seem to be having fun. And that is what is really important. Having fun.

No, the Buell is not liquid cooled. From all the reviews I have read, it seems to handle quite well on the street (see Boehm's recent intro in the June motorcyclist -- Burnsie, don't be offended). That's what many of us care most about.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:06 AM   #128
Eric
Founding Member

KPaul,

See my above post as well. By the way, I am 27, have owned a honda, 2 harleys, and now a Buell. Boehm also commented how well the Buell worked -- his only complaint seemed to be the engine.

I have ridden a lot more than I have owned. I like pretty much everthing. I don't think Harley has to worry about going out of business anytime soon. Their bikes are fun to ride, albeit a different kind of fun than a sport bike.

On reliability, things have turned around. Powersports.com is a very, very small N. I know several Buell owners; none have had nightmares like Motorcyclist did with their S3T. Some have had minor problems, but nothing that friends that ride other brands haven't had.

What will drive a company out of business is the new bike every two years. Were it not for cruisers, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki could not invest nearly as much in their sport bikes. Why do you think Kawasaki and Suzuki are joining forces? It is a very expensive game to play...

And you have done far more than "point out a poor price/performance" ratio. You have been insulting. Yes, the Buell cost almost 10K. For the people willing to pay that, it is worth it. That is what makes capitalism grand. If they don't sell enough at that price, they will be forced to lower the price or do something else to make it more attractive. I don't think it is outrageously high. More than some, less than others (see BMW, Ducati).

Just to close, people can like different things in motorcycles. I think the most attractive current motorcycles (in no particular order) are the HD Deuce and V-Rod, Kawi Mean Streak & ZZR1200, Ducati 998, Yamaha R-1 (but only in silver), the Buell XB9R, and the BMW R1150R. Oh yeah, the Benelli triple is amazing looking, but I dislike pretty much everything Aprilia. Go figure. Different is good. Ride what you like; not everything will fit your needs. That is why we have a diverse marketplace.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #129
davidcorr
Founding Member

i rode a 99 900 ss the other day. first time on an air-cooled, two-valve ducati. (i have a 74 thought it was great. reminded me of what would happen if my 748 mated with my ktm supermoto.

frankly, i think the 900ss is probably a better bike for me than the 748. i don't do a lot of track days. and when i do, i have as much fun on the ktm as i do on the 748 - i just don't reach the same velocity.

considering that, i find myself quite interested in the buell. sounds like a great bike to whip around on.

my issue, like others, is reliability. i spent some time on a buell owners site not long ago and was horrified by the stories told by frustrated owners.

too bad. the reliability issue will probably keep me away from buell showrooms. wish it weren't the case.
davidcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 10:40 AM   #130
KPaulCook
Banned

The engine wasn't his only complaint. read it again please. Just to clarify I don't think Harley has to worry about going out of business but Buell may be shut down soon. Also Kawasaki and Suzuki are not joining forces on the sport bike front only the cruiser, dirtbike thing. See http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28jan...andsuzuki.html

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/06feb...akimotogp.html

Continuing my price/performance bug I think the Kawasaki Mean Streak is a much better buy than V-Rod. But the V-Rod I am sure will have a much better resell value due to the Grey Pony Tail Brotherhood