Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-31-2002, 01:41 PM   #111
rmiller
Founding Member

Default Brave New World?

From everything I have read about the XB9R and the various attitudes toward it, this new Buell may be a harbinger to a whole new class of sportbike or at least a refocusing or widening of the market.

The transition away from pure racer replicas to Naked Bikes (like Ducati's Monster) in Europe indicates that change is already underway over there. The American market has been reluctant in this shift, but I think it's simply looking for its own brand of change.

My impression is that we may see a split into two categories on the handling/performance side: Canyon Blasters and GP Replicas. The younger generation almost always foretells change, so it will be interesting to see which way they go. I think the Canyon Blasters will include both lightweight, heavy torque bikes like the XB9R, and a new class of supermotard bikes with emphasis on even lighter weight and real world performance.

Traditional 'Sporty' bikes will continue to lend themselves to racer replica types with emphasis on track worthiness.

What effect fashion consciousness will have is anyoneÂ’s guess although again, the youth market may drive this.

The dirty little secret is that for the average rider, a great track bike does not necessarily make a great canyon bike, and visa versa. Average speed and suspension compliance requirements are very different for the two.

I expect to see more repli-racers humbled by light, quick handling, bikes with instant response powerbands. I believe these latter bikes will allow the majority of riders to use 80% of the bikes performance vs. the 50% usable by most riders of bikes capable of 170mph but requiring average speeds of only 60mph or so.

I for one will want to own one of each (as well as a dirt bike). But if in fact we see convergence in the marketplace as a function of the current (r)evolution of dirt thumpers and street bandits, and some variation of supermotard is the ultimate outcome, I think we will all be fortunate indeed.

Then I can park my RCV211 replica next to my 290 lb back road 'RBike' killer, and track days vs. twisties will not be a compromise and each will have a weapon of choice.

rmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2002, 01:56 PM   #112
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 11.86 is a very very slow 600

Harley's are nice bikes, but I'm hard pressed to think that the loud pipe beanie helmet boys are responsible for much in the way of positive legislation, I'm sure you ment the ama. While it's true that blanket statments are rarely accurate,most of the abate functions I've seen or been involved in are not much more than clog the road tavern runs that pretty well waste a nice day.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:22 PM   #113
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs. Ducati 900 Supersport

good one, das!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:42 PM   #114
z3ro
Founding Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the article. Keep up the good work MO
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:44 PM   #115
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Corrected Grammar and Spelling Mr. Potato Patato Head. Can you handle the big words?

Thank you for pointing out my faults Mr Potato Potato Head (I'll call you Tater sqaured for short OK)

Here is my final draft.

Ok Harley brother just keep buying those overpriced "new" 1950s bikes from Harley and the joke is on you. Lets not fixate on Triumph as a company with guts, how about Aprilia? Five years ago, Aprilia didn't even make a super bike or yet alone race it. But in 2 short years they did it. By the way the last laugh belongs to me he he cause-the cash you fools give to Harley just shows how effective their marketing is not their 1950s technology. And the more money you fools give them, the less R&D they have to spend to be financially competitive. LOL back at you Mr. Potato Potato head!!!.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:46 PM   #116
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 11.86 is a very very slow 600

Amen. about Abate but Harleys are overpriced antiques and sold by the marketing they do.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 06:59 PM   #117
PaulNorthBay
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R vs. SV650 vs. Mille R

Great Report Jef, I suppose the only thing I can ad is that after building, owning, riding and wringing performance out of HD motors... that the stock sportster motors are like that; narrow power band. A few simple mods and these engines run way hotter, higher rpms, and run quite well. Cams, Carb work and ignition and they come alive, like a different engine entirely. Would think the lovers of this bike, with the HUGE amount of aftermarket goodies, will be building these to run much better after purchase.

my 2 cents.. and I still ride HD, and Ninjas too...

PaulNorthBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:01 PM   #118
TheFox
Founding Member

AMEN!! Bow to the Cult of the Ducatisti!

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:15 PM   #119
TheFox
Founding Member

You're right about the american bike rags sucking, but I don't thin the 636 is going to be sold in the US this year. I could be wrong though.

Ducati improved the 900ss engine again, allegedly. Doesn't drink as fast; something to do with carb updates.

BTW, no blurb on the new Ducati MotoGP bike, which was unveiled last night. You guys are SLOW! The biek is easy the best looking GP...especially the way the fairing covers part of the rear wheel. It looks crazy trick, and has me wondering about the thermodynamic effects it will have on real wheel temperature. However, I am sure MO will post something about it SOON...RIGHT MO!?!?!

-Foxy

www.ducati.com You can't miss it.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:18 AM   #120
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Wow, these posts are getting out of hand!

I always enjoy a spirited conversation, but some of these posts seem to be personal and way off topic. I thought this was supposed to be a comparison of the Buell vs the Ducati. There have been more references to Vrod's, SV650's, BMW R1150R's, and UJM's than about either the XB9R or the 900SS. In fairness though, JohnnyB didn't provide a good example in his write up. JB, himself, wrote as much about the R1 as he did about the 900ss. Hell, he even mentions the 998 in the opening paragraph.

One thing is obvious though, motorcyclists are very brand loyal. This is proven again and again every time I am riding with buddies and we stop for fuel. We ride different brands and invariably, people are drawn to the brand of bike they admire, almost as if it was the only bike in the parking lot.

Anyone wonder what the hell John meant when he claimed that neither of these bikes were track bikes. Has Burns been to a "real" track day lately and not just a "private" track day? I saw a fricking Gold Wing at the last track day I attended!

I remember reading in John's "Bitter Little Man" column in the September 2001 edition of Motorcyclist about when he raced an X1 in the Buell Challenge series. Is the X1 a track bike? You can take anything to the track and if you chose, you can race it.

Further confusing this point is the fact that every launch I have read about the XB9R was conducted from Â… a racetrack. Saying it's not a track bike only makes excuses and apologies for not having more power.

If every bike has to be compared to the Gixxer 1000, then take one along. Oh I guess John did, didn't he? Not the Gixxer, but the R1.

Furthermore, I am always amused when I read about a full-on sportbike that falls short in comparison to their rivals, but once they remove the fairing, raise the handlebars, and de-tune the motor for more "real world" torque ... it's forgiven all of it's faults. The TT600 and Speed Four come to mind.

If you love the SV650, buy one and ride it until it's junk. If you prefer bikes with Russian tractor technology, buy one and ride it until the engine seals blow out (couldn't help myself). The point is, buy what appeals to you and RIDE.

Now onto business Â… Why didn't you include the Falco in this comparison?

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote