Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-16-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

Woo-hoo...first post!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

Default Compainion Bike.

I've been looking for a companion to my 79 R100S. I really wanted something in the same vein, yet modern. I can't wait to ride this thing. Put a set of barbacks on, a comfy seat, and some saddle bags and it'll be ready to go. Sacrilege to you sport bike guys I know.....
AirCoolBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

Default Compainion Bike.

I've been looking for a companion to my 79 R100S. I really wanted something in the same vein, yet modern. I can't wait to ride this thing. Put a set of barbacks on, a comfy seat, and some saddle bags and it'll be ready to go. Sacrilege to you sport bike guys I know.....
Old 05-16-2002, 05:22 PM   #4
AirCoolBMW
Founding Member

Default Compainion Bike.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

About the standing up under braking...bikes with a single front rotor are prone to standing up a lot more than a dual-rotor setup, for some reason. This is especially noticeable on bikes with a STRONG single-rotor setup, such as my Beringer-braked CR250 supermotard. I have no idea why this is the case, but my dual-rotor sportbikes don't exhibit this tendency anywhere near as much. Food for thought for the physics majors, I guess...
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:54 PM   #6
acruhl
Founding Member

There's all kinds of reasons for a bike to stand up on the brakes. Too low CG, gyroscopic effect, tire profile...

I don't think I saw what size the wheels were. If the back tire is even slightly pinched, get a narrower tire and turn in will improve. Really triangular tires like D208GPs may help too. D207s (street version, not GP) just plain suck... I don't know why bike manufacturers still use them!

Gotta love that horsepower and torque though. Look at those curves... Can't argue with that at all. I really want to ride one of these things but they keep disappearing from the local dealer.
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Compainion Bike.

Naaah, not sacrilege at all. My first real streetbike was my dad's old 1977 R100S. That red, Conti replica exhausts, Mikuni Flatslides, bored a bit over, swingarm brace, etc. I miss that bike. the late Greg McQuide and I used to talk about old BMW experiences (He had an '80 motorsport I believe it was). There's nothing but good in that. Do what you want. Enjoy it however you choose. Life's too short.

Cheers,

Minime
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:23 PM   #8
superbikefan
Founding Member

Have they all been recalled yet to fix quality control problems? They will be...
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:02 PM   #9
Huss
Founding Member

AAAAHHH SHADDAP! I've had recalls on my Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis. Yes my Japanese bikes are more reliable than European and American bikes but I sure as heck have found out that they aren't close to perfect.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Huss
Founding Member

Maybe, I'm just reading the Ghezzi-Brian Supertwin brochure and it has twin rim-mounted front rotors. They claim that this helps the bike to stand up less in corners than a normal set-up. But for one disc? Hey, anybody out there with a G-B, whydontcha take off one of the front disks and let us know if it stands up on the brake in a corner!
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote