Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell XB9R (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1228-buell-xb9r.html)

PsychoBueller 05-16-2002 05:09 PM

Re: Buell XB9R

Woo-hoo...first post!

AirCoolBMW 05-16-2002 05:18 PM

Compainion Bike.

I've been looking for a companion to my 79 R100S. I really wanted something in the same vein, yet modern. I can't wait to ride this thing. Put a set of barbacks on, a comfy seat, and some saddle bags and it'll be ready to go. Sacrilege to you sport bike guys I know.....

AirCoolBMW 05-16-2002 05:21 PM

Compainion Bike.

I've been looking for a companion to my 79 R100S. I really wanted something in the same vein, yet modern. I can't wait to ride this thing. Put a set of barbacks on, a comfy seat, and some saddle bags and it'll be ready to go. Sacrilege to you sport bike guys I know.....

AirCoolBMW 05-16-2002 05:22 PM

Compainion Bike.

A_Nominal_Squid 05-16-2002 06:43 PM

About the standing up under braking...bikes with a single front rotor are prone to standing up a lot more than a dual-rotor setup, for some reason. This is especially noticeable on bikes with a STRONG single-rotor setup, such as my Beringer-braked CR250 supermotard. I have no idea why this is the case, but my dual-rotor sportbikes don't exhibit this tendency anywhere near as much. Food for thought for the physics majors, I guess...

acruhl 05-16-2002 07:54 PM

There's all kinds of reasons for a bike to stand up on the brakes. Too low CG, gyroscopic effect, tire profile...

I don't think I saw what size the wheels were. If the back tire is even slightly pinched, get a narrower tire and turn in will improve. Really triangular tires like D208GPs may help too. D207s (street version, not GP) just plain suck... I don't know why bike manufacturers still use them!

Gotta love that horsepower and torque though. Look at those curves... Can't argue with that at all. I really want to ride one of these things but they keep disappearing from the local dealer.

minime 05-16-2002 09:05 PM

Re: Compainion Bike.

Naaah, not sacrilege at all. My first real streetbike was my dad's old 1977 R100S. That red, Conti replica exhausts, Mikuni Flatslides, bored a bit over, swingarm brace, etc. I miss that bike. the late Greg McQuide and I used to talk about old BMW experiences (He had an '80 motorsport I believe it was). There's nothing but good in that. Do what you want. Enjoy it however you choose. Life's too short.

Cheers,

Minime

superbikefan 05-16-2002 10:23 PM

Have they all been recalled yet to fix quality control problems? They will be...

Huss 05-16-2002 11:02 PM

AAAAHHH SHADDAP! I've had recalls on my Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis. Yes my Japanese bikes are more reliable than European and American bikes but I sure as heck have found out that they aren't close to perfect.

Huss 05-16-2002 11:08 PM

Maybe, I'm just reading the Ghezzi-Brian Supertwin brochure and it has twin rim-mounted front rotors. They claim that this helps the bike to stand up less in corners than a normal set-up. But for one disc? Hey, anybody out there with a G-B, whydontcha take off one of the front disks and let us know if it stands up on the brake in a corner!