Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-18-2002, 03:47 PM   #81
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: braking in turns

I don't think that your style is "old ass." I think that in most real world (read non track) related situations your riding style is the safer type. Also, the easiest for people to learn. I bet the majority of riders might not even notice this bike's "problem" had the motorjournalists not pointed it out to them.

Take care all and have fun,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #82
nathan_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

First post

The staff talks about comparing the XB9R to the Ducati 900SS. This is wrong. The 900SS is a modern interpretation of a racing legend, letting people own a piece of motorcycle history in a modern convient package.

Erik Buell claims to have built the ultimate middle weight sport fighter. He has dropped the quantlet, pick it up properly. The XB9R should be compared against the four Japanese 600's, and Triumph's 600.

You should probably also include the Ducati 748 so that the Buell is not the most expensive. Oh, and don't forget the second string Japanese 600's, just to make sure it doesn't come in last in performance either.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:11 PM   #83
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell...Making you think!

I'd rather go slow and feel fast than go fast and feel slow. If Minime was going deceptively fast speeds then where's the fun? It may be great that you beat your buddies to the end of the road, but I'd rather have the sensation of speed over speed itself. I think most others who ride for pleasure rather than ego would, too.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 12:24 PM   #84
mxgb5
Founding Member

There are already four Japanese manufacturers making I4 motored sport bikes and they are far ahead on the learning curve. Look at the challenges Triumph has had trying to compete in the 600 class for an example of a good company trying to pay catch-up. This is also a crowded market with short product-life spans and low profits.

One could also argue that none of the other European manufacturers (well, except for MV Agusta and small number of BMWs) use the I4 configuration... not Ducati, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, etc.

Harley-Davidson sells as many large displacement (over 650 cc) bikes in the U.S. as all of the other manufacturers combined, so there is obviously a market for this type of torquey slow-revving engine. They also make a substantial profit selling them.

I would like to see what Mr. Buell and company could do with the new V-Rod DOHC engine, though.

mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:20 PM   #85
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance

Progressive is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. They wanted $2000 a year for a 2000 KLR 650, I got much higher coverage for $234 a year elsewhere. My BMW they wanted $5000 and I pay $650 thru farmers...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 04:55 PM   #86
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell...Making you think!

You just summed up the whole Harley experiance. They seem much faster than they are, loud and shaky gives the illusion of speed and power. Kinda like the guy on a brand new Indian that I effortlessly blew into the weeds on my BMW. I laughed all the way to work after he looked over at me, smirked then pegged the throttle only to over rev it 1000 rmp later. I had short shifted into 3rd at 2000 rpm just prior and only rolled on, smoothly and quietly leaving him as if he was standing still. I imagine though he had more of a rush as that thing was spewing out 120 decibles to my 50...
Old 05-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #87
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R/RC51

Whats the range like? With only 3.7 onboard I imagine less than 100 miles and your looking for gas? Same as with the V-Rod, no range...
Old 05-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #88
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Almost American

If you want to buy something that is designed in America then buy a FireBolt. I was told, by the salesman at my local Buell dealer, that the frame is sourced out of Italy. We also know that the brakes and suspension are sourced out. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike. I am not concerned where it was built, but I do wish they built it with more power (The motor is built in America). One more thing, if you want something designed in another country, but built here buy a water cooled Harley.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #89
v4bryan
Registered Member

What is a "pleasant type" of vibration? I ask, because I don't think I've run into one before. If vibes are pleasant, than why id HB putting counter-balancers on the big twins?
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 02:24 AM   #90
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Good point about the statement that the FB is supposed to be the 'ultimate mid-weight sport-fighter'. I think it's a fine enough bike in that it's different and so on. I'm sure it's fun to ride too.

I think it's a bike trying to find an identity.

On one hand, there's the 'different' angle. Then, of course, you have Erik Buell making the claims you cited about it being some kind of 'ultimate' anything. The majority of the supporters of this bike here have claimed they like it because it's fun and so on, but no one claimed it's the ultimate -anything-... except maybe 'fun'.

No flies on that, but that's my point: This bike needs an identity in the market. If it's supposed to be just a good, "all-rounder", then Erik Buell's marketing should point that out a little more loudly. However, to me reading their ad-copy, it tries to skirt the fence of 'race-bike' AND 'street-friendly'... pretty hard to pull off both, and why try? As a lot of folks have said.. "this ain't no race-bike, but it's a fine streeter". If it had 25+ more HP, maybe it could pull off both... who knows.

Anyway... they should focus it's marketing a bit more and in doing so, they'd avoid the negative comparisons to bikes that are clearly superior, and do themselves a world of good. If you step into the -race-bike- sandbox, be prepared to get sand kicked in your face at whatever price-point you're in. That box is full of 'tude and egos... not a good thing to get mixed up in for Buell's FB, I think. It -seems- to appeal to "mature, ego-less" riders... attributes lacking in the race-rep crowd for the most part. (present company excluded, of course... put the flaming keyboards down, folks! )

I fear, however, that your claim that the 2nd string 600's (Katana 600, YZF600, ZX-6E, etc...) would come in behind this bike might be pre-mature. It'd be closer v.s. those than the top-line 600's though, for sure. On a track, I'd still bet on something like a YZF600.

And of course, when price is figured in... hmmm... what's a new YZF600 go for?... like $6.5K? (not MSRP b/c no one pays MSRP) v.s. $10K... wow.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote