Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-17-2002, 12:32 PM   #41
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: braking in turns

Who the hell uses the front brake in a turn? On the street no less? Back brake, maybe. If you haven't finished braking up and down then you screwed up the entrance and your riding skills need work. "old style" my ass.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2002, 01:11 PM   #42
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Still come with 207s (was Re: Buell XB9R)

The XB9R I saw at Glendale H-D about a month ago, was fitted with D207s. 207s are a good all around tire for the street (meaning the city), but you're right about their poor performance in turning.

I'm surprised Buell didn't at least equip the XB9R with 207RR's. That would have fit this new model much better and since all Harleys come with Dunlops, they wouldn't have broken their tradition and/or contract. I know there are better performing tires out there than the 207RR even, but at least the RR's would have been better than standard 207s.

-v2-90

(closet Buell fan)
v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:21 PM   #43
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

Harley's may hold their value better overall compared to other manufacturers, but Buells seem to depreciate at about the same rate as other more-specialized streetbikes. There's exceptions in any case, for sure, but overall, you're not going to get any better value for your used Buell, than other comparable bikes in its class.

-v2-90

(closet Buell fan)
v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:30 PM   #44
rags23
Registered Member

Default Re: $10k? $8k and I am listening.

Hey, include a Triumph Sprint RS in the comparo - same type of semi-naked bike, great engine, 110+ hp, great torque etc.

-rags

ps: no, I don't own an RS
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 01:32 PM   #45
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Comparison with the SV650

Why not compare this bike with the SV650, which, dispite the hype, is the closest competitor. The SV650 tries to do nothing special: Simple frame, basic modern engine, low cost, good handling.

But the modern engine is a huge difference in buildability: The SV and Firebolt weigh roughly the same (365 vs 380 lbs), have roughly the same power (71 vs 77hp), and a much lower price ($6k vs $10k).

The buell goes through so many hoops to compensate for an anemic, overweight engine design (fuel in frame, oil in swingarm), and it would be nice to do a comparison of what they have accomplished for the extra $4k.

Even better, a 3 way comparison: Stock SV, SV with $2k worth of suspension and engine modifications, and a firebolt.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #46
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Insurance

Stay the hell away from those online insurace companies, they're full of crap. I have full coverage on a 2001 Monster 750, I'm 23, perfect record, I pay 70 bucks a year full coverage. Yes, that's correct: SEVENTY DOLLARS! With State Farm, no less. I have a car and a health policy with them too.

Progressive quoted me $1200.00 for 6 months, full coverage with the same totals. F them.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #47
TheFox
Founding Member

Geez, you had a Paso? Woof woof!

--The Fox

Old 05-17-2002, 02:14 PM   #48
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: braking in turns

Yeah, now that I think about it, WTF? You should be accellerating through the turn, right?

--The Fox

Old 05-17-2002, 02:43 PM   #49
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Re: Comparison with the SV650

I was thinking about that exact thing- almost the same horsepower and the SV has excellent handling as well. Unlike cars where you can measure handling with hard numbers (lateral g's, slalom, etc.), the handling on bikes is very subjective. Who's to say that my SV with $1000 of handling mods wouldn't handle "better" than a brand new Firebolt?
Old 05-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #50
vx49268
Founding Member

I'm wondering about the vibration. The last Buell I rode was nothing more than a glorified paint shaker. There's enough about the bike that interests me, but I wont put up with the pounding of the pounding that the previous generation dished out.
vx49268 is offline   Reply With Quote