Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-17-2002, 07:38 AM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: $10k? $8k and I am listening.

The Buell's insurance is probably higher because of the greater chance it will be stolen than any Japanese bike. The same with Triumphs or Ducatis. Harleys generally cost high in insurance, even for the slow Big Twins for that reason. Depends on the area of the country and especially your age as well. My '91 GSX1100 costs me about $200 a year. An 18yearold's rate for the same bike is more like $6000. At least that's what the Nationwide chart shows.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2002, 07:50 AM   #32
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Good question. It's fair to say that I am drooling over the Firebolt as well. I love the way it looks. I rode to Dallas in the pouring rain last December just to see it in the person at the Motorcycle Show. I was definitely not disappointed. To your point though, my understanding is the Falco is pumping out 100+ hp at the wheel and it can be had for roughly the same price. Horsepower should not be the deciding factor for a motorcycle purchase. That is why I would love to see the Firebolt, Supersport, Falco, and after further thought the Superhawk head to head. It would be great to see how the 2003 Firebolt fairs against 98 technology (VTR), 99 technology (900SS) and 2000 technology (SL1000).

Buella_1, I'd love to hear your impressions of your new Firebolt. Congrats and shoot me an update once you take delivery.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:53 AM   #33
Big_Boy
Founding Member

I agree totally. Was concidering being interested in this bike, but for the money, and with the questionable reliability, I'd pay the extra to get the falco, which is way more bike. Believe me I would love to buy American, (I drive a 1969 chevy C-10) but maybe if they hopped it up alittle or but the 1200cc X1 motor in it??? Maybe if I wait a little while and see what the reliability is, and maybe at that point I could get a used one!!!
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:38 AM   #34
ulhpilot
Registered Member

Default Re: Compainion Bike.

Barbacks are a device that allow the handlebars to be moved rearward toward the rider, thus decreasing some of the reach to the bars and decreasing pressure on the wrists and upper body. A more relaxed riding position.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:40 AM   #35
ulhpilot
Registered Member

Default Re: Compainion Bike.

You want a companion for your R100S. I think a good choice would be a R1100S or R1150RS.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:54 AM   #36
jibosch
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

I Agree! I own a Blast and an M2L, both much Fun in their own way - and it is the Dealer that makes or breaks it. The Blast needed Replacement Body Panels after a Girl-friend dropped it, and it has taken over two months to get them! The Dealer in Miami carries almost NO Parts. Traction Grips and HP Spark Plugs for the M2L had to be ordered! Strictly-Harley Dealers won't service them. And the XB9R will not appease those of us, like myself, whom like more 'Standard' riding positions.

My Dealer has about 4 2001 M2's in stock, [they never bothered ordering 2002's...], and have discounted them to about $8000 OTD [[offer them $7000!] - and I know they cannot wait to get rid of them - so 'Resale Value'...? I spoke to a couple of Guys whom work there, and they feel let down by Buell doing away with the 'Framed Bikes'.

Dealer Apathy/Disappointment, and an Inefficient Parts System may well undo all of the good work that Erik Buell has done.

Too Bad.

Either Harley takes a MUCH Stronger Hand in this Brand - or it may fade into oblivion. Too many Good Choices out there to put-up with the Negatives at the prices Harley Dealers like to charge. I can get the same excuses much cheaper. How about $200 in parts and $400 in labor to replace 3 turn signals, one clutch pedal and cable, left support arm for the footpegs, 1 footpeg, and a front fender...!

I have been told, that for 2003, only the XB9R and the Blast will be offered - I hope I was mis-informed.
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:58 AM   #37
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Torque wins races but Horse Power sells but if I have 10000 to spend I buy inline 4

Buells torque curve and numbers is very impressive compared to small inline 4s (600s). At low rpm its pulling 50 ft lbs vs. under 30ftbs for my Ninja ZX-6R. This is probably why its does well out in the street. But for 1000cc in-line 4s that torque advantage goes away cause the torque curve gets closer to equal. So if I going to pay to $10,000 or so it’s the GSXR 1000 , ZX-9R , R1 or 954 for me. In addition some of the Twins low RPM torque advantage can be offset by keeping the in-line 4s up in a higher RPM range when cornerning.

But I love these things about it:
[*] Looks cool
[*] Frame carrying gas and oil in the swing arm is cool out of box thinking
[*] Focus on real world riding
[*] More than one color offered
[*] No racer boy graphics

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:06 AM   #38
ballan00
Founding Member

I must say that I did not like it at first, but it has grown on me. I still wonder why they chose to not use the X1 motor in it, or at least make that an option. I think a $10k bike classified as a sport bike should be able to at least keep up with 600s in a straight line.

I have grown to really like the looks of it, but I would rather pay an extra $300 and get an R1. Of course, people buy the Aprillias and Ducatis that seem way over priced, but that is what you pay for something different, and the xb9r is certainly different. Actually, the bike I most want right now is the Apprilia RSV Mille, but I cannot see myself paying $13k-$17k (r mod) when I can get a litre bike for around ($10k). I guess the new R1 will stay at the top of my wish list.

- BA
ballan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:25 AM   #39
M2CYCLONE
Founding Member

This is my own guess based partly from talking to Erik Buell about why they didn't use the X1 motor. I believe they wanted to increase the durability & reliability of the engine. Now I have an M2 with almost 22k on it that is running great. But, with the changes that the Firebolt brings with it's engine, it should be quite a bit more reliable. It's shorter stroke & the NASCAR technology used in the valve train should help with piston/cylinder, pushrod, vavle & valve seat wear. It's piston speed at redline is about equivalent to a short stroke 4 cylinder reving to 14000. That's about 12% less piston speed than my M2 or an X1. I know from talking to Erik that reliability was of utmost concern. Other enhancements such as oil jets for its pistons will help as well. Those of course could have been added to the 1203 engine.
M2CYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #40
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

I've owned over a dozen bikes from 3 continents, about half of them Japanese. The only Japanese bikes that never gave me any problems were the ones I didn't keep very long because I tired of them quickly. I've owned all except Kawasaki (like you?) and never been overly impressed with the quality, just the value, but I'm willing to give the Japanese another chance if something comes along that really interests me (been waiting years now for them to do something original, but it doesn't happen anymore unless you want a scooter). The Firebolt is at least a unique original worth looking at though I'm not plopping down the money just yet.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote