Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-17-2002, 05:37 AM   #21
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

Sad but true.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2002, 05:40 AM   #22
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Oh no, that lunch isn't sitting too well.........

I, I, I thhhinnnk I'm gonna....byoooool ! ! !
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:09 AM   #23
electraglider_1997
Founding Member

I just read in IronWorks magazine that there is now a 1200 Firebolt style motor. That should help in the the HP/TQ department. As for price. Harleys always hold their value much better than the competition.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:39 AM   #24
xlr8r
Founding Member

This stand-up-when-braking-in-a-corner sounds like what a couple of Ducatis that I once had used to do. The Pantah did it all the time, and the answer was to do the braking while upright and then dive through the corner. The early Pasos did it, too, and the answer there was careful tyre choice and watching where you put your weight ( this was in the early days of the now-common knee-down style, remember). I'm sure that once people have learned what the Buell does and why, the problem will be fixed. Clever ideas are seldom right first time but in the long run that's how progress is made, and I think Buell are definitely going the right way here, thinking differently and adding lightness.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #25
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

At the same time, in the recent Duc 620ie test here on most favored ride-test site, they specifically said the single-disc Dark version was more agile than the twin-disc regular. Given the serving platters Ducati favors for front brakes, that makes sense. Which leads us to...hm.

Real-life physics is such lovely stuff.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 06:58 AM   #26
Eric
Founding Member

The standing up thing seems to be a concern, but nonetheless minime held off a good rider on a very good Honda RC51... Must not be a huge impediment.

I was able to ride a XB9r about 30 miles. I noticed a slight tendency to stand up, but I didn't think it was that big a problem. I know I wasn't pushing it as hard as these guys, but the bike was truly effortless on a few local curvy roads. I didn't think I was going very fast, then looked down to see that I was carrying a great deal more speed out of certain corners than I do when pushing it on my current bike. Leaning waaaay over (for me at least) inspired nothing but confidence.

The engine could use more, but the flip side is that the flat torque curve means that you don't really have to keep it wound up to have a lot of fun. The flat torque curve also means that you don't get a great sense of acceleration even as the speedo needle sweeps rapidly to illegal speeds. The sound of the engine is quite inspiring, if seemingly out of place on such a capable motorcycle.

The biggest problem I have is the bar placement -- it was fine for me on a twisty road, but the 5 minutes on the interstate were not so good (though I've had worse). I am seriously considering buying one anyway, though I may wait to see the new models this summer.

In the spirit of full disclosure -- I have a Buell M2. No recalls, no problems through 9 months of ownership and 5500 miles. The XB9R feels distantly related to my M2, but light years ahead in terms of capability, despite the fact that my M2 makes a little more power.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:09 AM   #27
buella_1
Founding Member

Default Re: $10k? $8k and I am listening.

I'm curious how you say $9995 is crazy but turn around & say "I am drooling over the Falco.?" I think the XB9R fairs pretty well at it's price (especially first year model). I wouldn't mind seeing maybe a $400-to-$500 price reduction maybe when & if they introduce a water-cooled version. But I doubt they lower price any time soon.

Also, I'd like comparisons with as many bikes as possible to the Firebolt as long as HP isn't used as the over-riding theme. Everyone knows it's air-cooled so let's put this part of debate to rest. btw, I gave the price/hp another "once over" and decided to get it anyway (the battle-blue one). It should show up in a week or 2 (hopes).
buella_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 07:44 AM   #28
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

James,

That's not a bad theory at all. Any change in angular momentum induces a torque. With twin rotors up front a greater change in angular momentum occurs with each attempt to brake, hence a greater torque. All other things being equal, this could have an effect on the tendency of a mega dual disk bike to stand up under hard braking.

It is, as you pointed out, more complicated than that as the entire geometry of the bike plays a role in this. But your theory is good as far as it goes. Keep drinking that coffee amigo.

Cheers

Martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:26 AM   #29
mxgb5
Founding Member

I recently saw the new bike at a local dealer in person. Awesome looking bike.

I've been a huge Buell fan for years, although I've never owned one... my finances and the price/value relationship of the bikes never quite matched up.

Someone here made a comment about "Harley" resale value being strong. Unfortunately, this has never seemed to carry over to the Buell line.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the Harley-Davidson relationship is an impedement to Buell sales. Most of the H-D dealerships I've seen have little interest in the bikes. I suppose they make more money selling overprices chrome bits and fringed leather jackets to the cruiser crowd. There are a few dealers who have really gotten behing the Buells and it makes a huge difference.

As far as horsepower, I really couldn't care less. I've had more "fun" with a 500 cc single on the street than with larger more powerful bikes. The light weight and nible handling of the XB9R looks to make this a great grin:hp ratio.

mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 08:35 AM   #30
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Compainion Bike.

What are barbacks ????
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote