Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-16-2002, 11:22 PM   #11
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

How 'bout including a VTR in the comparison

between the Buell and the Duc?

And since the Buell is down on HP, how does it

compare against an SV650? The 4K price

difference could buy a lot of upgrades on the

Suzuki.

The Buell is attractive, but I imagine I'm better

off just buying a VTR...

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2002, 03:48 AM   #12
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Mike,

I've ridden both the VTR and the XB. The VTR is definitely faster...by a large margin. But I felt the XB was just more fun on the road. And it looks way cooler.

Ride them both and buy what makes you grin.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:58 AM   #13
veefer69
Founding Member

In July I believe Buell will address the "bars to far forward" issue. They will introduce some new models based on that xb9 platform... Yeah....
veefer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 04:35 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Put these wet-behind-the-ears whiners on a Suzuki Tempter and see how long they keep up their delusional belief in innate Japanese superiority.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:39 AM   #15
rvfrules
Founding Member

Anybody dumb enough to buy a loser model like the "Temptor" deserves a crap ride!

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 04:41 AM   #16
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I'm not a physics major, but I've noticed this same thing between my cruiser bike and my sport-bikes. It's is probably a coincidence.

However!, in the interest of spreading MIS-information and ridiculous half-baked theories!... I submit the following:

I have but one, and one only, UN-educated guess:

could it be that the single rotor puts a torque on the forks when it's used? (by creating some sort of force on whichever end of the axle it's nearest to?) You know, like.. stick a pivot through a rod and then push on one end of it, it'll spin around that pivot point. Here, the pivot point is the steerer tube.

Then again, if this was the case, I'd expect the single-rotor bike to NOT stand up when taking a corner going the other direction. Say, for example, that the bike stands up going left because the rotor is on the right. Then, going right would make it turn in even more. I can't say for sure if I've noticed that on my cruiser since I don't tend to rail a lot of right-handers in the city: most right's are from a stop and at a slow-speed. Guess I'm going to have to test this now!

Then again, like I've said... it's just my half-baked, 1-cup of coffee theory. I'm sure it's got to be a lot more complicated than this.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 04:45 AM   #17
stormcloud
Founding Member

Sounds like a great bike, but I'd also like to see the VTR included in a comparo. They are both small fairing'd, grunty, light and userfriendly. Dont say you cant compare a 'Harley' to a Honda, take each on it's merits, not it's name......
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 05:23 AM   #18
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

. ..and Buell has great response to the problems that they have had...fix ALL the bikes! Ask Hayabusa owners about how confident they are in their subframes, some of which have broken suddenly and catastrophically, pitching riders down the road. Suzuki never recalled any of them to my knowledge and didn't cover the failure under warranty either.

Buell on the other hand had some alleged failures of the front shock eye II never met anyone who had the problem) and immediatly recalled all the shocks, on every Buell. That couldn't have been cheap, didn't do much for the corporate relaibility image, but it was the right thing to do so they did it.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 05:32 AM   #19
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default $10k? $8k and I am listening.

I must admit, I love the way the Firebolt looks. It's gorgeous! Though I have given the bike much consideration, I don't plan to buy one. Reason? $10k price tag, are you kidding me? There are so many bikes that offer more value and performance at that price point. Which ones, take your pick, any of the 4 cylinder UJM's 600 cc or open class. Ok, ok this bike isn't targeted against those bikes, I accept that and I have no interest or plans to buy one of those either. I have given consideration to the Ducati 900 Supersport. However the same concerns apply. 70 hp at the wheel, come on? It will be intriguing to see what type of power can be found on the Firebolt with the race kit, but that raises the price even higher. Also, I checked with progressive for an insurance quote, $1300 with a $1000 deductible! The only bikes that I have been given a higher quote have been the Triumph Daytona and the Ducati 998. I think it's fair to say that the Buell is no where near the performance league of either of these bikes. I know you are planning to compare the Firebolt to the 900SS. I am very interest in this comparison, but would you do me a favor? Compare the Firebolt , the 900SS, and the Falco. I am drooling over the Falco, I would love to see how it stacks up.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 05:36 AM   #20
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

---I don't like the name "Buell" for a motorcycle. It sounds like a cross between B.M. and mewl, which is what babies without full control of their autonomic nervous systems do.

---Marketing wise, I just don't think this bike is ever going to sell. Who's going to bond with a "Buell"? "Here's my Buell, what do you think of 'er, er, 'im, er, it?"

Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote