Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-20-2002, 02:38 AM   #91
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R

Pleasant vibes are muted, distant throbbing that let you know you're on a twin. Not the buzzy, fingers-fall-asleep vibes of a four cylinder. Have you ever ridden a bike with a v-twin. Buell, Ducati, Guzzi all have pleasant vibes.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2002, 02:41 AM   #92
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

And H-D only put balancers in the Softail motors...because they are solidly mounted to the frame, as opposed to the Dynas and FLs, which are rubber mounted. A major complaint was that the Softail had too many vibes at highway speeds. The balancers alleviates this problem.

Just curious Bryan....what do you ride?
Old 05-20-2002, 03:42 AM   #93
seruzawa
The Toad

As far as the "buy American" thing goes, I believe that several Japanese bikes are made in America with a far higher percentage of domestically produced parts than any HD. I don't remember the exact models, but I think the Honda shadow is one of them and the Gold Wing another.

Back in the '80s I got a notice through H.O.G. that HD was sorry that so many of the parts on their bikes are made in Japan. The irony is that the Honda Shadows are more "made-in-America" than any HD.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:59 AM   #94
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: braking in turns

yes you should be accellerating. I'm already on tha gas as soon as the bike is on it's way over. The rear tire has the most traction anyway.

Which is simpler and more comfortable? Railing into the corner way too hot and trying to dance on the edge of loosing the front end with your addrenaline pumping, and trying to finesse the bouncing forks as you transition from braking to gas while leaned way over or instead, waiting that few feet longer to apply the brakes from the get go, settle the suspension at the outset of the corner and let that rear tire dig in and set?

As to racing applications, slow in fast out is far more effective and repeatable and less prone to loosing the front-end. And also leads to a much tighter turn and getting on max power sooner since you can bring the bike up to vertical earlier.

Thanks to the journo's who ride inappropriately on the street with techniques likewise highly suspect, Buell is going to have to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. Thanks a lot guys.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:48 AM   #95
4in6
Founding Member

Well if doing all your braking before a turn is faster why do all racers use trailbraking? I aggree that it is not a smart technique to use on the street because it puts you more at risk of losing your front tire. Racers can do it because if they dump their bike then they are out of the race. If you or me dump our bike we are out $10,000. As far as buell needing to address this I don't know but I have riden one and I have riden a Honda 929 and the buells brakes suck in comparison.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:34 AM   #96
mike_root
Founding Member

Gee. My old Sporty could sure use one of those updated motors.

It surely doesn't belong in that fancy Firebolt rig.

mike_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:31 AM   #97
frodown
Founding Member

seems to me that trail braking is most effective in a closed course racing environment. We know that such a place is less likely to visited by a buell patron. A rider looking to use the racetrack for a bike's primary environment would likely be shopping for a race rep and not "the ultimate street fighter". Kudos to Buell and company for making this distinction and building a bike that is meant to be ridden in a street environment using street bike techniques. This is indicates IMHO clarity of thinking, clarity of design, and clarity of execution.

keep on riding
frodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #98
canyoncarvin
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R/RC51

I don't see any mention of the RC51 running in front and the XB9R being able to pass. On public roads it's much harder to pass than to run away from someone. Did you run the RC51 from the front?
canyoncarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:25 AM   #99
drandall
Founding Member

I recently sold the second of two new Buells I bought. Each time I was praying Erik made addressed the problems that I could never fix or adjust-out.

I hope Buell learns to design and make motorcycles, because I'd hate to see the only American sportbike manufacturer die, but I'll not by buying any more; I'm going back to Ducati or a new VFR.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:23 PM   #100
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Great post lots of good points

It is impressive when:
[*]Truimph starts from ground zero and now starting to compete with the Japanese eit the TT 600 .[*]Aprilia comes from no where in making a World Super Bike and sport tourer to take the market by storm.
[*] Ducati styling and marketing savy push sales in the US to all-time highs

It is diappointing to see:
[*] Harley-Davidson finally gives us an inovative sport bike in the Buell Firebolt but fail to spend the $$ to give it a modern engine
[*] They price the Buell Firebolt $2000 over its competition
[*] Harley Dealers not support Buell i.e. do they know that the baby boomers are getting gray now and most new buyers are going to want something fresh like the Firebolt but can't afford a VRod
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote