Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: The V-Strom is...
Definitely 76 24.92%
an interesting work of machinery. 28 9.18%
not my cup of plastic. 20 6.56%
spelled incorrectly. 13 4.26%
168 55.08%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2002, 04:58 PM   #1
vx49268
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000

Ah, first post!

I've had my V-Strom for 5 weeks. Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. It reminds me all the world of my '98 Triumph Sprint. I have to agree about the turbulence at supral-legal highway speeds.

I had a chance last week to ride it back-to-back with a Capo Nord. The V-Strom has a much, much better engine, and it carries its weight much better.
vx49268 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2002, 05:13 PM   #2
VAX
Founding Member

I had a chance to ride one a few weeks ago, A terrific bike! I'm considering buying one, though it's a stretch, financially.
VAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
lampell
Registered Member

I've also had my V Strom for a few weeks and have found it to be a fantastic bike. I own 7 other bikes, from Duke to F41 and R1100R and it almost makes the other bikes redundant. A bike like the V Strom has to be a compromise of sorts but they have done a great job. Compared to the GS, Capo Nord etc the V Strom feels light and is much less work around the twisties. In fact a friend of mine who owns a GS is trading it in for the V Strom
lampell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
FrankS1
Founding Member

For once, a review that makes me feel like I understand what the bike is and what it does. Thanks, guys.

Would I like one? Well.. First, my experience has been that Suzukis tend to be the most for the money, though not necessarily "the most". (except durability - the second owner of my shaftie GSX1100G is still running strong, and it's well on its way to rolling over the odometer again)

And there are times when I sure wish my behemoth motor works (get it??) R1100GS, which REALLY IS the most in that particular category, weren't such a biggie. But, where I live there are potholes and frost heave in the pavement and sometimes no pavement at all, and the review leaves me the strong impression I'd have to nurse the V-Strom instead of just plowing through. But at 100 pounds lighter, it might not be that hard to keep it moving.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I have a TL1000S and the power commander did wonders for it, particularly below 5,000 rpm.

Now let's take that refined TL motor, keep the V-Strom frame, and make an SV1000S already!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
desertbilly
Founding Member

I've had mine for 3 weeks, and I'm very happy with it. IMO, what's special about this bike is what a solid, overall package it is. I know that sounds boring, but a lot of people need an Accord or Camry, even though an S-2000 is faster, and an F-150 hauls more. It does everything quite well (except dirt- that's hype) and it's a hoot to drive, and it doesn't cost $15,000.

It's big, comfy and relaxed at the same time it's light, nimble and fast. A paradox? Yup.

I've got Givi racks ordered, a screen and centerstand as soon as I can find them, and plan to use it for light-touring as well as a fun, all-arounder. I'm guessing I'm not the only guy between 35 and 65 who wants something fun but sane.

Very accurate review. Keep up the good work.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
tedsim
Founding Member

DANG! link broken and I cannot read the full story! arg maybe tomorrow...
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
hackfu
Founding Member

Oopsie. Being the last one to work on the story makes it hard to self check. Thankfully the error was in the news interface where I can fix it from home.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:11 AM   #9
tedsim
Founding Member

Heeheh works now! What attention to detail, what work ethic, what.......brown nosing by me.. interesting story. I always like the notes on how the fit is for different height riders (im a robust 6'7" sounds like this bike is "average" meaning good on many aspects, but not really excelling over the competition. Im in the market for some type of sport-tourer, but this one appears to be perfect...for someone other than myself.
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re-tuning the TL

I agree with JB, I just don't understand why the Japanese manufacturers keep detuning, sorry tuning for torque, their motors when they put them in different bikes. One of the bikes I own is a Tl1000s and there is no way I would have thought that it needed to be re-tuned for more bottom end! Of course lowering the gearing a tad helped, but heck, if I could increase the bottom end (via gearing) just by slinging on a smaller sprocket why couldn't Suzuki just do this for the V-Strom and keep the 115hp motor? The only downside would have been a top end of "only" 140-ish mph....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote