Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: The V-Strom is...
Definitely 76 24.92%
an interesting work of machinery. 28 9.18%
not my cup of plastic. 20 6.56%
spelled incorrectly. 13 4.26%
168 55.08%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2002, 06:38 PM   #41
tedsim
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000

I am interested in all sorts of reviews, whether or not I would purchase one..

CapsLock on/off key....... learn it, know it, live it
tedsim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #42
drz400s
Founding Member

Just test rode the DL1000 today along with a 2002 Yamaha FZ-1.

Up to about 6000 RPM the DL1000 has the FZ-1 beat. Sure the FZ-1 will beat the Suzuki if you keep it pinned between 8000 - 12000 but how often do you drive in this RPM range. In comparison the DL is fun everytime you twist the throttle.

Also at around 75 to 85 mph the Yamaha is really reving high and it felt like you needed an extra gear. In comparison, the Suzuki sat nicely under 4000 RPM with that great rumble from the big twin. I was sold.

As far a comfort is concerned the DL was great. A nice roomy riding position and good wind protection. I did notice some buffeting as mentioned. (Will order the taller wind screen as I am relatively tall)

The twin motor is really cool, feels like an electric motor - torque everywhere, great sound and character.

I placed my order one day after the test drive, Picking up my DL up on Thursday!!!!
drz400s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 05:58 AM   #43
Double_L
Registered Member

Default Ever try to ride on gravel roads?

You guys questioned Suzuki putting a 19" front wheel on the V-Strom. I'm so glad they did. Have you ever tried riding on gravel at spped with a 16 or 17 incher on the front? Not fun.
Double_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:18 AM   #44
cbxxxx
Founding Member

i went over and test rode the strom and here is what i found.........i have had 50 bikes over the years and rode 250-350k miles so dont need to own a bike to know a bike....

yea: low seat height compared to tiger and caponord

yea: has really nice ergos and feel

yea: detuned the european traille look thankfully

yea: turns in far better than tiger and caponord

yea: cost 2-3k less

nay: engine vibration at 7500 rpm and above unbearable, unuseable and unexcuseable. my bsa gold star road racer was smoother than this bike at high rpm. when i say its too painful to go above 7500rpm..........i mean it

nay: seat is a bit hard and too short. i ask you this.......with a 60 inch wheel base why cant

the seat be 29-30 inches long for comfy two up riding

nay: no hard luggage avail yet........

nay: cost 2-3k less and shows it when specific components of the bike are compared to others mentioned. lots of tacky, cheap looking parts.....and all attempts to adj the rear shock compression yielded no diff from full on vs full off

summary: would be my last choice after aprilia capanord or triumph tiger .....

summary 2: lets have .....height and detuned traillie look of the strom, triumph motor and aprilia quality....then add adj front forks to the front, 120x17 front and 170/180 rear tire....and wella might be there with comfy ergos, light weight killer street bike that one can tour two up for any distance....

and if need be.....not finish last on sunday morning rides in the mountains one up.
cbxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:34 AM   #45
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Confused?

John,

Please clear something up for me.

I just read the July 2002 issue of Cycle World. The cover story is:

Q: The World's Best Streetbike is...?

On page 53 you declare:

"Right, as for myself, I like the V-Strom. Tall, rugged, powerful, outdoorsy, virile, jack of all trades, master of none, semi-cheap."

For a July issue, these words would probably have been written in April.

Please recall the article you wrote May 10th for Motorcycle.com entitled Strommin' On the Ol' Banjo.

In this article you wrote:

"I like the V-Strom, I have no problem riding it, but when it comes time to pick a bike from our garage for the weekend, or even the ride home, I don't think I've once taken the Suzuki when I didn't absolutely have to. "

Which is it?

In April from a pool of 10 motorcycles you declared your love for the V-Strom, but in May you stated that given more than one bike to select you never chose the V-Strom.

I am very, very confused John.

Is the V-Strom the World's Best Streetbike?

Or, is the V-Strom a motorcycle that when given a choice of two motorcycles, you would chose something other than the V-Strom?

DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:35 PM   #46
GoGiG
Founding Member

Default Re: Confused?

Yes, I'm confused too. Tell us John.

Is the V-Strom the World's Best Streetbike?

Or, is the V-Strom a motorcycle that when given a choice of two motorcycles, you would chose something other than the V-Strom?
GoGiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #47
Tangram
Founding Member

You might read the Burns ' article posted here again. You will discover the Burns did not write the section you are quoting. Look at the heading ...
Tangram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #48
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Betcha some TL1000S cams drop right in and restore 90% of the missing power.

Project bike anyone?
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 04:13 PM   #49
timharrison
Founding Member

In the immortal words of Homer, "DOOGH"! It was Dr. Evil's clone who didn't want to strum the Strom.
timharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 12:53 PM   #50
EricTheRon
Founding Member

I've read about a dozen reviews of this bike by now, and I've only seen two real downers. One complained that the bike got light in the front over 120 mph. The other is Minime, as related in this article. To both I would quote Minime in his review of the Kawa ZR-7, i.e. "it's not a sportbike, idiota!".

Yes I know Minime also compared it to the other 3 tourers they wrote up, but there the virtues being compared always seem to basically be sportbike virtues--all others are secondary. Why don't the people who review cars don't have this problem? When they review an Accord or an SUV they don't compare it to a Boxer sportster, and don't seem to have a problem if the Accord doesn't burn up the quarter or the SUV doesn't handle well over 120mph.

If moto writers are going to insist on doing this, I insist they also compare the sportbikes when taken a few miles down a dirt or gravel road. See if you haven't burned out your interest because your nerves are shot trying to stay upright. I think this is a valid test because half the time (here in Colorado) even the paved roads are half-covered with sand spread by the Hwy dept. (Oh I forgot, all moto writers live in California where there's neither snow nor sand.)

Also, don't know about where you live, but here in Colorado if you make a habit of going 120 you won't have to worry about the handling because it won't be long till they take your license away. Or else the insurance companies will price you out of all your vehicles. You can never tell if that SUV coming your way has blinkers under the grill until it's too late.

Also tired of complaints about the retuning on this bike. What's really fun is the torque that happens between the lights even when you haven't broken any laws. (This is one area, maybe the only one, where the cruiser guys have got it right!)

So hooray for the DL1000 and all bikes like it! I know Suzuki doesn't always do the best fit and finish, and you need to make sure you have a straight-up dealer in case you have problems (so what's different about that?). But they do make great bikes sometimes -- I own a SV650, so I know they do. And I think this is another one. I may have to trade in my SV for it, much as I hate to.

EricTheRon is offline   Reply With Quote