Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: The V-Strom is...
Definitely 76 24.92%
an interesting work of machinery. 28 9.18%
not my cup of plastic. 20 6.56%
spelled incorrectly. 13 4.26%
168 55.08%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2002, 07:10 AM   #21
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Re: Re-tuning the TL

They do it because many people, although obviously not everyone, wants bikes like this. It pulls like a freight train across 6k of it's rpm range. It's an absolute joy between 10 and 110 mph, which is where some, but obviously not all, riders spend most of their time.

I'm not a supersport bike kind of guy, but I appreciate that they're wonderful engineering accomplishments and would be great fun if a person liked to do track days and serious scratching. But everytime there's a review of the latest 170-mph rocket, you don't see a lot of comments about "Geez, why did someone make another cramped, uncomfortable, impractical rocket that costs $2,000 a year to insure and can only be ridden over 40% of it's potential on a track, which most riders will never do!!! I just don't get it!!!"

It boils down to live and let live. Different people like different rides. A lot of people, though obviously not everyone, like broad, flat, strong, linear torque curves. The reviews on the Strom, even from the sportbike guys, are consistently saying, 'hey, this package works pretty darned well together.' The manufacturers are retuning/detuning the engines to make the overall package work well for the intended audience.

The dirt part, however, is all hype. I spend a fair amount of time on Arizona forest roads on a KLR 650, and I have never seen a GS or a Tiger on a rutted forest road in the back country, not do I ever expect to see a Strom or a Capo. Adventure touring has always been about 'bad roads', not 'no roads'. Another reason where the flatter torque curve helps.

Okay, counter-rant over.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2002, 07:44 AM   #22
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000

Looks like Burns is the second reviewer to conclude that the wheels/tires inspire less than total confidence in the corners. Shame. This one's obviously a bargain, but I'll have to give some more thought to the Sprint ST. If money were no object, I'd pony up for the GS Adventure right away. But alas, it is.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:43 PM   #23
Huss
Founding Member

I think you miss my point. The Strom does indeed work well, I'm not disputing that. My point is that the TL1000 already pulls from absolutely everywhere and anywhere, I own one so I know. It is not remotely peaky, top-endish etc etc, so I was saying they could have bolted it straight into the Strom chassis with no modifications and had a bike with just as much torque and more power to boot. It also would have made the Strom cheaper as there would have been very little engine modification work done, apart from using different sprockets to change the gearing. Given the choice of the same (if not more) power everywhere on the curve, but with an extra 20 on top, well wouldn't you want that extra 20?

I bet if you lay the power curves (torque and hp) of the TL and Strom over each other, you will see that there has not been any re-tuning, just de-tuning.

Maybe it's because those enduro tires can not handle 115 rwhp on the road?...

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 PM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Check out the BMW Adventurer. I hear the seat is so high you almost need oxygen.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 05:51 AM   #25
STsprinter
Founding Member

I really enjoy my Triumph Sprint ST but would have to admit riding on gravel roads in rural areas is some times a little hair raising. I grew up riding on gravel roads and would ride my 500 silverwing 60mph with no problem. I live in the city now and avoid most gravel roads. When I ride to "the farm" to see my parents, I white knuckle it the whole two miles of gravel epecially if it was freshly graded. The V- Strom is the perfect bike for someone who lives in a rural area or who would encounter gravel roads often. I am looking at moving back into a more rural area later this year and think the V- Strom is the way to go. What a great price too! Athough the centerstand should have been standard equipment.
STsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:08 AM   #26
pmmonster
Founding Member

Before dropping $$ on a PCII you might try a simple remap with a Yosh box. You can enrichen the lower rev range - most dealers will have one and should do it for $50 - $75. I own a TLS, fwiw.
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 07:20 AM   #27
intruderman
Founding Member

Well written and informative review, Burnsie. I've been admiring the V-Strom in my dealer's showroom for a few weeks now. The only thing keeping me from buying it is the seat height. 5'7" with a 28 inch inseam just isn't going to make it with this bike. Shoot, I'm on my tiptoes with my SV650S, which, by the bye, is one super-fun motocycle. Suzuki L-twins rule!

If the guy who said "NEVER BUY SUZUKI", went out and bought a Hayabusa that he's very happy with, I'm confused. What gives?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 12:33 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Sacrilege buddy! Only Harley can be criticized for crappy reliability. All other examples are supposed to be ignored or excused. By your statements you are violating the local moto-religious doctrine... heretic!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:53 PM   #29
Huss
Founding Member

I know, I could barely swallow the awful truth myself. But I've found help, and with time I think I will get better.

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:20 AM   #30
maynard
Founding Member

Another excellent reason to de-tune is to increase the gas milage. The TL is a thirsty beast. If I can have 95% of performance envelope and get 10 mpg more, on a bike expected to be used as a tourer, I have to say that Suzuki is doing the right thing.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote