Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: The V-Strom is...
Definitely 76 24.92%
an interesting work of machinery. 28 9.18%
not my cup of plastic. 20 6.56%
spelled incorrectly. 13 4.26%
168 55.08%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2002, 04:47 AM   #11
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000

I think a bike like this would be pretty neat to own, though I can't justify the expense... at least not with 4 other bikes already.

The only thing I'd wonder about is the durability of those rims when confronted with plowing through pot-holes.

Is this the first 'A.T.' (adventure-touring) bike to have mag-type rims?... is there a historical context to compare to?

I always heard 'classic' spoked wheels absorb shocks and bumps and that is why they are on dirt-going machines. Has 'zooky finally solved the mag-wheel durability issue?

Your beemer has spoked wheels, right?... no problems I would suspect (that a spoke-wrench couldn't fix anyway).

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2002, 04:50 AM   #12
vx49268
Founding Member

I've also noticed what a surge, typically in 3rd or 4th gear between 3000 - 4000 rpm. Is this where you've noticed the surging?
vx49268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:29 AM   #13
desertbilly
Founding Member

I'm 6'3" and found this bike much roomier and more comfortable than the popular sport tourers, though I'll probably still end up changing the screen and seat. You might give it a sit.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:38 AM   #14
sketch15
Founding Member

Default Motorcycles and Tennis Shoes....

It's finally happening, first I watched tennis shoes develope until they were so specialized that you had to own a different pair for everything that you did. So the normal person "should" have a pair for running, one for walking, one for dress, one for...., well you name it and you could find a specialized pair for whatever you wanted to do. Now I see the tennis shoe manufacturers are starting to come back to , ahem, cross-trainers, or one shoe that does it all. MMMM, what a concept.

Is it my imagination or do I see the same trend in motorcycling. We went from one bike does it all...remember the Triumph 650..Bonneville, scrambler, tourers of the 60's?

Most manufacturers had a single engine that was implemented in a variety of ways. OK, maybe they were not great for every implementation, but they worked!

I am also not saying that I want to wrestle around a 550 pound dirt bike around either, just making an observation. But I have to give Suzuki kudos for this one.

Give me back my Jack Purcell Bumpers though....
Old 05-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #15
lasmd2000
Founding Member

Suzuki almost had my $8900 clams. but then I read about the re-tuning, or shall it be called de-tuning. Why take an excellent performer TL1000 motor and scale it back for sport-tourer enduro adventure riding? This bike is highway bound, no Paris-Dakars with all that plastic on board. So why not keep it highway tuned? So instead I plunked down my hard earned shellfish for a 2001 Hayabusa. Another great all-rounder, of sorts, and this one has a top end of over 185mph

Although Suzuki customer service sucks, thats a different story. DON"T EVER BUY SUZUKI!

ride safe
lasmd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 02:30 PM   #16
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Yet another "Adventure Tourer" than can't handle a fire trail. *yawn*

Yet another engine "retuned" - lets be honest... it's not been retuned, it's been castrated. Do a dyno run on a TL-R and the V-Strom back to back, and lay them over each other. I'd bet good money that there's no or virtually no difference in the bottom end or middle of the power curve, just a lack in the top on the V-Strom. It really drives me up a wall when they do this.

Remember what MO said about the dyno chart of the FZ-1 vs. the R1? I do. Near identical until the FZ-1 ran out of steam, then the R1 kept building power to a much higher peak.

Ok rant over, sorry...
Old 05-11-2002, 03:32 PM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

Default More Cycle SUVs???

Excellent Article by Burns. I agree with minime comments. This must be a European thing cause I don't get it. I bike that looks kind of like a Dual Purpose bike but isn't really. Maybe it's for folks who want to appear adventerous but not really. Ducati is building something like it right? If I really wanted a real Cycle SUV I would buy Kawasaki

KLR 650 or better yet a BMW 1150GS. But at least they are keeping the nice twin engine around. Two bad Suzuki doesn't build a SV 1000 (996cc L-twin) or really get serious about using it to build a WSB contender i.e. revamp the TL1000R but Suzuki is probably just waiting for the rules to change so they can use a 1000 inline 4.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 04:17 PM   #18
erik_squires
Founding Member

You know, I don't know that much about engines, but isn't the V-Strom the highest MPG bike Suzuki makes with the TL1000 engine?

I might suggest that Suzuki's changes for the V-Strom were to give the bike greater range, not lower HP.

My Triumph Sprint ST still has it beat though, more HP, more MPG(barely) and it already has hard bags.

erik_squires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:57 PM   #19
Huss
Founding Member

Yup, after my experience as an unwitting beta tester for the 1997 TL1000s ( 2 computers, 2 gas tanks, leaking clutch, 2 failed rear dampers, BROKEN FRAME!!!! and no, it had never even been dropped) and the miserable excuse they pass off for customer service, I would never buy Suzuki again.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:53 AM   #20
900F
Founding Member

I've had mine for about a month and have 700 miles on it. Besides dodging late season snow storms, I've had some great riding on it.

I can't find much to complain about. The bike does everything well and many things exceptionaly well. I get lots of compliments on the looks from strangers.

The handing is superb, super stable at all speeds ( 120 so far ). The engine, even de-tuned is plenty strong for this bike. Two up riding is a pleasure and the engine does not seem to notice the passenger.

Perhaps because my last bike was an 81 CB900F, my standards are abit lower than those who are used to newer bikes. Still, I could not be happier with it. Suzuki has made the "Multi Strada" for the masses and raised the bar for the standard class.

Erik in MN