Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-05-2002, 07:08 AM   #51
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 Reader Feedback

Every oil head I have ridden has surged. I haven't ridden the latest R1150RT, but in the last issue of Motorcyclist they have and even they complained about how badly it surged! Look it up if you don't believe me. The R1150r is most probably the best BMW made, and it just begs the question why the others (boxers) which are essentially the same bike cost so much more. The fact that you even mention the F650 (a single cylinder 40hp bike) relative to the Yamaha FJR1300 really suggests that you are blinded by the pretty BMW badge.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2002, 07:46 AM   #52
Van
Founding Member

Make that $14,499 for the ABS and you'd be correct.

Oh, and Jack's a homo who used to think Roseanne Barr was a hottie!!
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 07:54 AM   #53
Van
Founding Member

Hey Wayne, you got it all correct except for the bit about the Yam's bags "exceeding" the ST1300's.

The Yam's bags are 30 liters and the ST's are 35 liters. The Honda's top case is 45 liters and it holds two helmets and the Yam's won't.

Then there's Yamaha's bit about not allowing their's or anyone else's top case to be used in cunjunction with the side bags....
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #54
minime
Founding Member

Jodiesel,

Pretty much zero audible exhaust. Just a nice turbine-esque sound coming from below the tank when you roll the throttle open.

We're already planning on some serious sport-touring comparos. Maybe break it up into SPORT-touring, and sport-TOURING???
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:42 AM   #55
dwr461
Founding Member

I believe that they said it surged. I have ridden the R1150RT. I did not notice a surging problem. Of course I only ride 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year, about half of which is city driving. So I might not know what I'm talking about. I did not notice a surging problem with that bike. I only spent about a half an hour on it though. I have noticed repeatedly that Motorcyclist and CW have their favorite brand of bikes. BMW is not one of them. I submit that they don't usually do a fair review of this brand.

In their Eurotrash article they ran an Ductati ST4s, Futura, and a Triumph (all twins) against a K bike. The K-bike of course washed out. A more fair comparison would have been against an R bike. The K-bike should have been compared with a Goldwing that would be fair. But I don't think that they were interested in a fair comparison for some reason.

I think that the FJR will be a very good bike. I would even consider buying it. I want to drive it beforehand as I don't always believe everything I read. That was the point of my original post.

As for a pretty badge, it comes with a 36mo, 36,000 mi warranty and with proper care will last 200,000mi. How about yours?

Take care and have fun,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #56
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, I have an off-topic post...

I appreciate the clarification, Minime. Had it not been for the brain fog I was experiencing this morning, I eventually might have figured it out for myself. It would appear that JB's former coworkers over at Motorcyclist are all convalescing from a variety of injuries suffered in the line of duty.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:19 AM   #57
SlowBear
Founding Member

Minime,

First, I apologize for the tone of my post. I was a bit frustrated by the first post disappearing.

Second, thanks for the info, it is very useful.

Third, to those who wrote to support my post, thank you.

Fourth, I guess the real point of my post was that this article should have been labeled more accurately. As a first impression/ quick ride/ whatever-you-want-to-call-it, it was fine; as a road test it was pretty weak. If I want deceptive, manufacturer's ass kissing "How many times will you feature my product" crap I have at least two sources in US print magazines, everybody wave to Mitch and Dave. OTOH, MO is generally a bit more honest.

Finally, to the poster above with all the info on the FJR, thanks for the great information. My point in the post was that MO should provide that information in a road test of a touring bike. Also, I take what I find on boards and marque club web sites the same way I take statements made in an alcohol fueled bench racing session or the dry weight claimed by a manufacturer, with a very large grain of salt. In my experience "facts" on the internet are more often false or at least somewhat "filtered" than the plain, unvarnished truth.

A slightly less grumpy bear,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #58
TheFox
Founding Member

I never heard anyone complain about the handling of the Gold Wing, which has used this engine configuration with more cylinders since its inception.

The Valkyrie also handled decently.

You're also neglecting the big BMW, I think it was the K1? was a "sportbike" with a flat 5 or 6 cylinder engine, 1000cc's I believe? I am off to the encyclopedia to look for more...

--The Fox

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 06:58 PM   #59
cog3998
Founding Member

Amen. MCN is gonna do one with the FJR, ZZR, K1200RS and a Blackckbird in there mag. Somehow, an ST1300 (or an RT, for that matter) just doesn,t seem to fit into that bunch. I guess THE comparo IS inevitable sometime or other, but most conclusions are fairly obvious. The MCN ST1300 article kind of did a comparo to the 1100 and came across very interesting.

I suggest a continuation of the "day dream" comparo getting to Push Mountain Road(AR341) in Arkansas....to see Grandma or the "old country". Everybody gets butt burn and other irritations during a 600 mile day. How well did the Tylenol work the last 200 miles? That is a function of self and bike. All bikes need a GPS mounted just to confront the hassle and success quotient of that particular ride. All bikes require full panniers and tank bags in the twisties. (Sport tourers gather no moss.) All bikes should have an additional $300 dollar limit to confront the standard shortcomings of the particular ride. NO $1000 shocks and no custom seats...Paaleese. Suggestions from various forums would be a groove.

Wayne for the real live ones I know..in Texas
Old 05-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #60
minime
Founding Member

SlowBear,

... and I thank you for your response to my post.

We'll make it a point to more accurately label our reviews seeing as a few people thought along the same lines you did, as in "Where's the meat?" As a first ride, however, I think it's better than anything you're likely to find. Not to mention that we strive to be extremely honest as you mentioned (no advertiser bias whatsoever) and the people who rode the bike and contributed to this write-up are more experienced and more knowledgeable than any other web-site out there, period, and a hell of a lot better than most print mags.

If you have anything further, as I offered, feel free to e-mail me.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote