Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-04-2002, 06:43 AM   #21
cog3998
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FJR1300 Reader Feedback

TYPO! TYPO!. MO apparently has made a typo error on the weight. The dry weight is listed as 521 lbs.....NOT 620 lbs. This has a lot to do with the bike chasing the Twins through the twisties. This is consistant with the experiences of the Euro's in "casual" encounters with performance sports bikes.

The shock problem is old news with a few Brits and OZ guys going with the Ohlins. Yammy and Erlin are offering up 2" and 4" higher screens as almost mandatory add-ons.

The primary problem for the North American buyer now is if and when Yammy will ever offer up this bike again. Yammy, so far, is refusing to divulge their future plans. Some dealers appear to be accepting deposits but I don't think they can promise delivery dates this year. This summer's dealer meeting (if not before) really needs to clarify their intent. If I was a Yammy marketing type, (hey, Bob Starr) I think I'd be kinda nervous following such a positive report from Motorcycle Online and no bikes to sell.

Oh, well, when all the ex-cruisers and aging sport bike types ride by ya on their FJR this fall, just shoot us the finger. We'll understand. Personally I'l be heading up to Arkansas to meet up with some real mile eating sport tourers on their Connies to see if I can finally keep up. At least they, actually, pratice the art and do it with great joy and little whinning. The FJR will be in worthy and excellent company.

Wayne waiting in Texas

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2002, 06:59 AM   #22
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I had a '96 ST1100. It was a GREAT bike and would REALLY handle once you got used to the numb (almost non-existent) front-end feedback. I put an Avon AV-27 tire on the front and a MEZ2 Metzeler on the back (before MEZ4s were on the scene). I took the damn thing to a track day at Sebring, Florida and managed to scrape the gray outriggers several times (honest). I had the biggest, slowest, heaviest bike out there and had the time of my life. What a blast! Several full blown, experienced roadracers were amazed at how fast an old fart could get that tank around the track. You'd be shocked at how many 600-1000cc sportbike wannabees I left for dead in the turns. With all of that in mind, I'm waitin' to see the ST1300 and what it has to offer, at what price. A lighter, faster, better handling, higher horsepower, shaft drive version of a Honda sport-tourer just boggles my mind. Honda has thoroughly screwed up their VFR800 (slower, heavier, less HP, ad nauseum) this year, all for a paltry $1000 more (ABS version). What they needed was a 1000cc version with some real torque, made 30 pounds lighter than the previous VFR800, ditch the linked brakes, and keep those beautiful-sounding gear-driven cams. What a travesty! Same deal with the 954. It's still ugly as hell, doesn't have the oats to keep up with the big dogs, and has the highest list price in it's category. Of course, all in the name of better drivability. Bull! Rape & riot time, a complete cop-out & rip-off. If you're gonna run with the big dogs, you better be able to do more than bark. Soooo, here's hopin' they got the ST1300 right. On paper, it sure looks like it. God, I hope it's as good as it looks (I think it will be), but at what price (I'm a little skeptical here)?? Wasn't terribly subtle, was I? Next time, I'll tell ya what I really think! (-: Cheers, Jack

Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:45 AM   #23
SlowBear
Founding Member

OK, I posted a comment yesterday and it is gone now so I am re-posting.

I have nothing against super sport bikes but I have to wonder why they get ridden by the entire staff plus guests, a trip to the strip, a trip to the track and a street test and a sport touring bike gets what seems to be an afternoon ride by one editor? You go to great lengths to test super sports correctly but you don't pack up the 'bags and spend a few days on a touring bike.

A few of the questions unanswered by this test. What is the observed fuel mileage? What is the range to reserve? How does the seat feel after a tank? After two tanks? Three? Are the reports of excessive heat true? How does it protect you in the cold? How hard would it be to wire an electric outlet for a vest (or two for two up riding) and radar detector? How does it handle with the bags full? Is it comfortable (for the rider and passenger) two up? How about two up with the bags full? Are the bags shaped to take a large load easily? Are the bags easy to get off and put on? Are the bags secure when full? Can you easily secure a large item (e.g. tent poles) on the bike? For bonus points, put a premium shock on and see if that improves ride and handling.

At least to me the above questions are as important to a touring bike as lap times for super sports and styling for a Harley.

A grumpy bear,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:10 AM   #24
Huss
Founding Member

Cool, enjoy the surging motor, 40 less hp, the vibes at 75 mph and spending $5000 more.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #25
Huss
Founding Member

Ok then, paste the torque curve of the BMW over that of the Yamaha. See who has more, anywhere. And yes, I've ridden every version of the oil-head, and I'm bothered by the vibes at highway cruising speeds (70-80mph) and the difficulty in passing traffic up a mountain road (eg up to Lake Arrowhead in Southern California) when loaded down with a passenger and luggage. Wouldn't be a problem if it made more power like the Yamaha. If you don't think it's the nameplate you are paying for, check out www.micapeak.com, view the owners' registries and see how many problems Beemers have. Enjoy.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:19 AM   #26
Sphere
Founding Member

I couldn't agree more. Too many questions are left unanswered.

What about a one week/month tour with touring bikes for starters with a really big article?
Sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:03 PM   #27
12er
Founding Member

Completely overlooking the K1200RS? Thats the competition here not the RT... But the FJR does have it by 15 HP and 10 T and 100cc's. Also a gallon more in the tank, but no 6th, cruise control, Power ABS, heated grips (or does it have heated grips?). If they were out last year and I could of sat on one I probably would of went with the FJR. Still Im not paying $500 up front for anything sight unseen. I was going to go with an ST but didnt fit, the BMW was the only option last spring when I needed a new bike. The only gripe I have about it is the left side bag with it notched out around the pipe sux. Though fully loaded two up, uphill it passes without effort. Its the first bike Ive ridden that doesnt seem to matter if its loaded or not. It runs good in the heat too, I was in fresno last summer in 107 temps and she stayed pretty cool without cooking me either. But the fans were going full blast...

http://www.piratesk12site.com/Dyno1.jpg

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/m...r1300dyno.html

Now to find a copy of MCN with their shootout...

12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:03 PM   #28
Flickmeister
Registered Member

SlowBear has a helluva good point. It's really easier to get on the hyperbikes and thrash them on the backroads for a day, then hit the drag strip and race track on the next one.

Just think what the editorial staff would have to do if they tested touring bikes: They'd have to plan their wardrobe for a few days, sleep in the same rooms together, and even occasionally bathe. Not sure they're capable of putting all that together in such a short span of time. Yo MO, view this as a challenge. Ya think ya can handle it?? And Burnsie, I'll send you a 28 year old bottle of Scotch--goes great with the Whopper fresh out of the bag! Cheers, ILAKSMU, aka Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:22 PM   #29
12er
Founding Member

The RT isnt in this, its a twin, but mainly a tourer. I dont see sport anywhere on the RT. Not saying it doesnt handle though. The Concours is standard with wind protection and bags. The K1200RS is the competition from BMW. The ZZR though its considered competition I dont see it. No bags or even an easy way to throw them on. Its basically an updated ZX11, check them out side by side. The frames are almost identical at first glance.

The Futura is up against the ST2 and ST4 along with the R1100S and the VFR. The sportier side of thangs... I really dig the Futura and the only thing that swayed me away was the lack of a dealer network. If I'm crossing states and something goes wrong I dont want to be stuck without a good shop handy. That and first year always frightens me. Well as I was in the market last year.
Old 05-04-2002, 01:31 PM   #30
12er
Founding Member

Slip your sleaves over your gloves and leave them loose. You get a lovely ram air effect chilling your entire upper body. My roadcrafter in 107 F was completely comfortable as long as I wasnt stopped for too long. Also the BMW, FJR, ST and VFR all have a small vent in the lower part of the windshield to let air pass through. Take a closer look and a test ride. Also the ST, FJR and BMW's have movable windshields, lower them if you want more air, raise them if you dont. The only convertable I know if is an HD...